From: Archimedes' Lever on
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:32:57 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>> You failed. Nothing unusual there.
>
>I enjoy playing with numbers, because I like numbers. You hate and
>fear numbers. Get over it and you'll be better off.
>
>John

You're the one that got it wrong, multiple times.
From: Archimedes' Lever on
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 20:38:56 -0500, John Fields
<jfields(a)austininstruments.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:35:24 -0700, John Larkin
><jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:57:02 -0400, EricP
>><ThatWouldBeTelling(a)thevillage.com> wrote:

>>>1 megaton TNT = 4.184e15 joules
>>>E=MC^2 = 9.0e16 J/Kg
>>>
>>>1 megaton = 46.49 grams.
>>>
>>>Eric
>>
>>So 46 micrograms == 1 ton of TNT.
>>
>>46 ng == 2 pounds of TNT
>>
>>So converting dust to energy might be a little hard on silicon wafers.
>
>---
>That embedded : "converting dust into energy might be a little hard"
>makes the rejection of the proposition pretty much a no-brainer.
>
>Not a criticism of you John, (for once ;) a criticism of the fancied,
>but not really worked out process required to render silicon fissile.
>
>Johm Fields

They were deluded into thinking that they could 'hit' the particle with
some undetermined amount of 'anti-matter'.
From: Michael A. Terrell on

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

> "Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> writes:
>
> > MitchAlsup wrote:

> >> It is easier to place most of the manufactuing process in a vacuum and
> >> eliminate the dust particles. {Hint: dust cannot float in a vacuum to
> >> land on the wafers, but drops like a rock to the floor.}
> >

> > Just like Skyduck's ignorant trolling.
>
> And if people would just quit answering him, I wouldn't see anything
> from him at all...

I've had Skyduck plonked for a long time.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
From: George Neuner on
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 15:49:49 -0700, Archimedes' Lever
<OneBigLever(a)InfiniteSeries.Org> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:20:51 -0400, George Neuner <gneuner2(a)comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:07:40 -0700, Archimedes' Lever
>><OneBigLever(a)InfiniteSeries.Org> wrote:
>>
>>> Are matter anti-matter annihilations being observed in uni labs on a
>>>regular basis?
>>
>>Yes ... and in (big) hospitals too. Google "PET scan".
>>
>>George
>
> Ah... molecular level stuff. Only about one ten millionth of what one
>would need to take care of a dust particle.
>
> Still quite implausible.

Sorry, I missed something. What's implausible?

George
From: Richard Henry on
On Jun 18, 8:25 am, Archimedes' Lever <OneBigLe...(a)InfiniteSeries.Org>
wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:57:02 -0400, EricP
>
> <ThatWouldBeTell...(a)thevillage.com> wrote:
> >dlzc wrote:
>
> >> A megaton nuclear weapon "converts" a few nanograms of mass to
> >> energy (the rest is there just for chance).
>
> >1 megaton TNT = 4.184e15 joules
> >E=MC^2 = 9.0e16 J/Kg
>
> >1 megaton = 46.49 grams.
>
> >Eric
>
>   Grams?  Grams of WHAT?  I am sure that 46.49 grams of water would yield
> less than 46.49 grams of highly enriched Uranium.
>
>   Also, a nuke does not "convert a few nanograms".  For one thing, it
> does not get "converted", it gets "released".
>
>   The first ones REQUIRED 100lbs of material to go critical.
>
>   Modern devices "need" less, but the designs are hardly set up where
> they include more than they need.  To claim so is just stupid.
>
>   Also, ALL of it goes fissile, so the "just there for chance" remark is
>: stupid as well.
>
>   Your brain must only weigh a few nanograms.  There cannot be any more
> than that after stupid statements like the one you made here.

Wikipedia say:

In nuclear reactions, typically only a small fraction of the total
mass–energy is converted into heat, light, radiation and motion, into
a form which can be used. When an atom fissions, it loses only about
0.1% of its mass, and in a bomb or reactor not all the atoms can
fission. In a fission based atomic bomb, the efficiency is only 40%,
so only 40% of the fissionable atoms actually fission, and only 0.04%
of the total mass appears as energy in the end.