From: FromTheRafters on
news:htk1s001oqs(a)news3.newsguy.com...
> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
>
> | "ASCII" <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
>
>>> MBAM isn't known to be antiviral, won't even detect; IroK, Toady,
>>> Krilie,
>>> Weed, Rustybug, all written and distributed by someone claiming to
>>> be
>>> 'malware researcher' for the company. At least until the super
>>> secret
>>> circumstances of his separation transpired.
>
> | It claims detection for *some* viruses and worms though.
>

> Yes but will not "clean" a virus infected file.

Does it detect virally infected files? What I mean is, I'm sure it can
detect blended threats by their *other* vector's wormlike artifacts
(dropped copies of themselves for instance) but can it detect a single
file infected by Virut for instance (which is listed as a detectable
malware)?

From: FromTheRafters on
Funny that MBAM didn't do that for you. Sometimes code in a new version
of a malware can be close enough to code in a previous version that a
detector misidentifies version 'b' as version 'a' and the resulting
cleaning becomes incomplete. I don't suppose you have the original
malware quarantined somewhere?

"Doug R" <scootersite(a)NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> What I found was that the virus had added a line to the registry
> turning Restore off. I deleted that one line and all is good again.
> Thanks for replying!

[...]

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>> Yes but will not "clean" a virus infected file.

| Does it detect virally infected files? What I mean is, I'm sure it can
| detect blended threats by their *other* vector's wormlike artifacts
| (dropped copies of themselves for instance) but can it detect a single
| file infected by Virut for instance (which is listed as a detectable
| malware)?

It may detect a file that is infected with Parite or Virut but can not remove the Parite
or Virut virus from the file that had been infected.

IFF detected, file would be deleted thus iMBAM does not really target such infectors and
leaves them to traditional anti virus applicatiosn that will.

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

| Funny that MBAM didn't do that for you. Sometimes code in a new version
| of a malware can be close enough to code in a previous version that a
| detector misidentifies version 'b' as version 'a' and the resulting
| cleaning becomes incomplete. I don't suppose you have the original
| malware quarantined somewhere?

He never answer my question.

"You said you used MBAM "Some months back". Have you updated it to v1.46 and run an scan
since you found these problems ?"

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on

> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
>
>>> Yes but will not "clean" a virus infected file.
>
> | Does it detect virally infected files? What I mean is, I'm sure it
> can
> | detect blended threats by their *other* vector's wormlike artifacts
> | (dropped copies of themselves for instance) but can it detect a
> single
> | file infected by Virut for instance (which is listed as a detectable
> | malware)?
>
> It may detect a file that is infected with Parite or Virut but can not
> remove the Parite
> or Virut virus from the file that had been infected.
>
> IFF detected, file would be deleted thus iMBAM does not really target
> such infectors and
> leaves them to traditional anti virus applicatiosn that will.

Thanks for the information.