From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>> | Does it detect virally infected files? What I mean is, I'm sure it
>> can
>> | detect blended threats by their *other* vector's wormlike artifacts
>> | (dropped copies of themselves for instance) but can it detect a
>> single
>> | file infected by Virut for instance (which is listed as a detectable
>> | malware)?

>> It may detect a file that is infected with Parite or Virut but can not
>> remove the Parite
>> or Virut virus from the file that had been infected.

>> IFF detected, file would be deleted thus iMBAM does not really target
>> such infectors and
>> leaves them to traditional anti virus applicatiosn that will.

| Thanks for the information.

YW

Think of MBAM as a supplement not as a replacement for traditional anti virus
applications.

--
Dave

From: Dustin Cook on
"FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in news:htk712$tbc$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

>> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
>>
>> | "ASCII" <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote in message

>> | It claims detection for *some* viruses and worms though.
>>

>> Yes but will not "clean" a virus infected file.
>
> Does it detect virally infected files? What I mean is, I'm sure it can
> detect blended threats by their *other* vector's wormlike artifacts
> (dropped copies of themselves for instance) but can it detect a single
> file infected by Virut for instance (which is listed as a detectable
> malware)?

Yes.. it can..in some cases. Virut is very polymorphic tho.

--
Are you a former BBSer? Want to go back in time to the old days of
ANSI and Renegade? Fire up telnet and go here then: ttb.slyip.com

From: FromTheRafters on
> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
>
> | Funny that MBAM didn't do that for you. Sometimes code in a new
> version
> | of a malware can be close enough to code in a previous version that
> | detector misidentifies version 'b' as version 'a' and the resulting
> | cleaning becomes incomplete. I don't suppose you have the original
> | malware quarantined somewhere?
>
> He never answer my question.
>
> "You said you used MBAM "Some months back". Have you updated it to
> v1.46 and run an scan
> since you found these problems ?"

Don't you just hate that? :oD

He's edited the registry and moved on...

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>> | Funny that MBAM didn't do that for you. Sometimes code in a new
>> version
>> | of a malware can be close enough to code in a previous version that
>> | detector misidentifies version 'b' as version 'a' and the resulting
>> | cleaning becomes incomplete. I don't suppose you have the original
>> | malware quarantined somewhere?

>> He never answer my question.

>> "You said you used MBAM "Some months back". Have you updated it to
>> v1.46 and run an scan
>> since you found these problems ?"

| Don't you just hate that? :oD

| He's edited the registry and moved on...

{ sigh }

Yes.

--
Dave

From: ~BD~ on

"FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

| He's edited the registry and moved on...

Surely that's the *only* way to 'fix' things if malware has caused a
registry alteration?

--
Dave