From: FromTheRafters on
"~BD~" <.BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

> "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
>
> | He's edited the registry and moved on...
>

> Surely that's the *only* way to 'fix' things if malware has caused a
> registry alteration?

If the program was out of date and perhaps misidentifying a malware
instance, what other settings might it have missed correcting? It would
be better to confirm or deny the use of the most recent version of the
removal program. What if version 'b' edits the registry *and* drops
another malware item and version 'a' gets identified and removed? Sure,
he can manually edit the registry entry he finds amiss back to what it
should be, but it would be better to execute an updated version of MBAM
or another removal tool such as SAS.

From: Doug R on

As I mentioned, I am not computer literate so I probably didn't do
things correctly.
I was infected about 3-4 months ago with an unknown virus that screwed
things up good. After running numerous anti virus programs I finally
got my PC back to normal. I didn't save or log anything (I will in the
future) as my PC was running fine. I do update the anti virus files on
a regular basis so yes, they are current.
When I posted to this group (as well as others) earlier this week I
had just noticed that I couldn't access Restore or Security Center. I
was searching the newsgroups and internet looking for a fix when I
found an article telling me what to look for in the registry. I
followed those instructions and deleted the line that was making
Restore inaccessable. Next time I will do more homework before I try
anything and I will cross post, not multi post which really seemed to
annoy some people. After reading through some suggestions from this
group I uploaded some questionable files to 2 sites that were
recommended here. They both came back with 10-25% hits for being
infected. For the heck of it I archived a 13 MB file with a bunch of
stuff that I knew was clean and uploaded to those same 2 sites. This
absolutely clean file came back witth 20-30% hits for being infected.
The one thing I've learned from this (besides NO cross posting) is
that there is evidently no way to determine what is clean and what is
not! And, I do appreciate your attempts to help me.

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/9e252a1178ab190f8df6b628671920b2f1ca65d80e6da46c7865eaf05778047e-1274990659

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/115cc0f6502183072d1a9ea2737b7e3313b2bb67

From: Doug R on
As a footnote, I've now got 5 or 6 programs on my PC that I'm afraid
to install. They mostly come back as clean but some databases show
them as infected. I'd give 10-1 odds that they are clean but it's just
not worth the risk.
I've downloaded sandbox but being the PC boob that I am, I'm afraid
that I won't use it right and I will have to start this whole process
over again.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Doug R" <scootersite(a)NOSPAMhotmail.com>

| As I mentioned, I am not computer literate so I probably didn't do
| things correctly.
| I was infected about 3-4 months ago with an unknown virus that screwed
| things up good. After running numerous anti virus programs I finally
| got my PC back to normal. I didn't save or log anything (I will in the
| future) as my PC was running fine. I do update the anti virus files on
| a regular basis so yes, they are current.
| When I posted to this group (as well as others) earlier this week I
| had just noticed that I couldn't access Restore or Security Center. I
| was searching the newsgroups and internet looking for a fix when I
| found an article telling me what to look for in the registry. I
| followed those instructions and deleted the line that was making
| Restore inaccessable. Next time I will do more homework before I try
| anything and I will cross post, not multi post which really seemed to
| annoy some people. After reading through some suggestions from this
| group I uploaded some questionable files to 2 sites that were
| recommended here. They both came back with 10-25% hits for being
| infected. For the heck of it I archived a 13 MB file with a bunch of
| stuff that I knew was clean and uploaded to those same 2 sites. This
| absolutely clean file came back witth 20-30% hits for being infected.
| The one thing I've learned from this (besides NO cross posting) is
| that there is evidently no way to determine what is clean and what is
| not! And, I do appreciate your attempts to help me.

| http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/
| 9e252a1178ab190f8df6b628671920b2f1ca65d80e6da46c7865eaf05778047e-1274990659

| http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/115cc0f6502183072d1a9ea2737b7e3313b2bb67

CORRECTION:

You stated...
"The one thing I've learned from this (besides NO cross posting) is..."

Cross-Posting is good, Multi-Posting is bad.

That is Cross-Posting is good if you limit the number of groups the message goes to and
the subject matter is On Topic for the groups being Cross-Posted to.

--
Dave

From: Doug R on
Duly noted: Cross Post.....GOOD