From: Guy Peled on
On Mar 31, 9:10 am, "David Ching" <d...(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:
> "MrAsm" <m...(a)usa.com> wrote in message

> > For the .NET part, it's just my humble opinion, but I would not invest
> > time in learning C++ extensions for .NET. If I want to do .NET
> > programming, I would do it in C# (which IMHO is much better suited for
> > this kind of task.)
>
> As I've said before, it isn't as easy as people think to create your firstWinFormsapp in C#. There is enough new that you don't need to be tripping
> over the eccentricities of C# (compared to C++) along with everything else.
> To a C++ programmer, C++/CLI is intuitive to read and write, with no
> gotchas. Just replace "new" with "gcnew" and '^' with '*' and you're done.
> C# makes everything look like a value class even when it's clearly not. You
> don't need that.
>
> Having fiddled with my first real .NET program (a port of a home-grown spam
> killer app I wrote years ago in MFC) in C++/CLI, I think I've learned enough
> aboutWinFormsand .NET to do my next one (for commercial deployment) in C#.
> But really, C++/CLI is the best way for experienced C++ people to get
> started with .NET.
>
> BTW, C# is in no way "better suited for this kind of task." C++/CLI has
> exactly the same capabilities as C#, and in fact more of them (e.g. better
> finalizer support, increased performance). The only reason I am migrating
> to C# is to be positioned to take advantage of WPF and LINQ which will not
> be usable from C++/CLI. That and the whole C# ecosystem, with the great
> refactoring tools, and the vast C# samples.
>
> -- David

Hi David,

Check out Visual WebGui (http://www.visualwebgui.com) which provides
WinForms like programming including design time support for ASP.NET.
This means that you can migrate your application to be consumed as a
zero foot print web site. There is also an alpha feature that is
currently under development which will allow you to deploy to either
platform(WinForms/WebForms) with the same code base.

Check it out in this sample video:
http://www.visualwebgui.com/Default.aspx?tabid=314

Cheers,
Guy Peled
Founder & Chief Architect
Gizmox - Visual WebGui

From: MrAsm on
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 17:56:05 -0700, "Tom Serface"
<tom.nospam(a)camaswood.com> wrote:

>I like Prosise's book. However, I've found that I learn more from
>participating in these newsgroups and looking at public sites like
>www.codeguru.com and www.codeproject.com
>
>Tom

Hi Tom,

I agree with you.
But I think that a book to start-up the MFC learning process is
required. I think that, if I did not read Prosise's book, I couldn't
understand the subjects that we find in this newsgroup or on
CodeProject.

MrAsm
From: Shahoo on
Hi, can anyone tell how to get the source code for Prosise's book?
I really need it.

From: David Ching on
"Guy Peled" <dudegizmo(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Check out Visual WebGui (http://www.visualwebgui.com) which provides
> WinForms like programming including design time support for ASP.NET.

Thanks for letting me know of your project. Impressive website!

-- David

From: Tom Serface on
Don't forget the scribble example either. I did that one like 5 times when
I was first getting started. There are a lot of basics in that tutorial:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f35t8fts(VS.80).aspx

Tom