From: Tom Serface on
Hi David,

Unless I needed it "today" I'm not sure I'd start another WinForms
application. The new WPF stuff looks way more cool to work with. I haven't
done an application with it yet, but I'd sure give it a look if I were
starting one soon.

Mike's book is the definitive source in my opinion. I still reference the
one from MFC 4 :o)

Tom

From: Tom Serface on
Gone to the dark side eh? Well, if there's no comparison, then there is no
need to continue comparing them.

Tom

From: David Ching on
"Tom Serface" <tom.nospam(a)camaswood.com> wrote in message
> Gone to the dark side eh? Well, if there's no comparison, then there is
> no need to continue comparing them.

LOL, I think C# is much more elegant and lacking of complexity (I mean, just
read the code, there is no superfluous junk characters in it to confuse you,
the meaning just leaps out at you), whereas the various C++ community seems
to take great delight in seeing how complicated looking they can make the
latest syntax.

OTOH, I am reading Advanced C# by Trey Nash which tells of best practices,
and there is a TON of stuff to learn regarding IDisposable, threading,
exception handling, etc. before one can claim to be proficient in C#. I'm
starting to understand why a lot of expert C# programmers say they wish
WinForms apps weren't so simple, because it makes it easy to do things
wrong.

-- David

From: David Ching on
> Unless I needed it "today" I'm not sure I'd start another WinForms
> application. The new WPF stuff looks way more cool to work with. I
> haven't done an application with it yet, but I'd sure give it a look if I
> were starting one soon.

Well, there are a couple reasons for not embracing WPF now. The fact is the
WPF market is immature. There are no WPF component libraries available.
The design tools to deliver compelling WPF UI's are still in CTP state.
OTOH, the WinForms market is quite mature and is currently the best way to
write Windows UI's, IMHO. And any investment in WinForms carries over to
WPF as there will be interop components, and the methodology is similar (or
so I'm told). Secondly, WPF requires .NET 3.0 which is not redistributed
with Vista.

> Mike's book is the definitive source in my opinion. I still reference the
> one from MFC 4 :o)

It's a great book all right, but it really only helped me once. The rest of
the time I got my knowledge from other sources. Probably because I got it
after the MFC market had peaked and I had considerable info under my belt
already.

-- David

From: MrAsm on
On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 00:18:23 GMT, "David Ching"
<dc(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:

> But I'm curious, have you actually *tried* doing something
>non-trivial in C#, or have you just read about it?

Hi David,

no, I'm sure I don't have the same experience and knowledge of C# that
you have. I'm just learning C# writing simple test apps (I like
learning in small pieces), so I didn't write anything non-trivial in
C#. I'm still in learning mode, and in fact I'm trying the VC#2005
Express (a great gift by Microsoft to C# learners!).

I respect your opinion that you like differentiating between instance
data member (.), pointed instance data member (->), and namespaces
(::). To all of us C++ programmers, it seems very clear because we are
used to that for years. But I think that the "spirit" of C# is very
different from the spirit of C++, I think that the spirit of C# is
about *simplification*, like Java.

Of course, there are also some negative points about that.
For example, I like the deterministic finalization of C++, i.e. that a
destructor is automatically called when a function/method/block is
terminated ("}").
So, if I access a resource e.g. a file with a File class with a
destructor that closes the file, I know that the file is closed (the
resource is released) when the block ends.
On the other side, it seems to me that I have to force the resource
release in C# (something like explicitly calling a method like
File.Close). I read about this IDisposable interface, but I did not go
very deep with it.

However, I believe that, when memory constraints or resource
management do matter, when top performance is a must, etc. - as I
wrote in another post - C++ is the way to go. But, in these cases, I
would also not consider the managed world of .NET, but simply go
*native* with C++ and MFC.

MrAsm