From: Shahoo on
Hello,
As I have mentioned in some my other posts I am a beginner to MFC and
VC++.
Currently I am studing the book "Teach yourself Visual C++.NET in 21
Days" from
Sams and I am finishing it. Can anyone suggest any other books, sites
or tutorials
to continue after that book?
Thanks in advancce.

From: David Ching on
"Shahoo" <shahookamangar(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> As I have mentioned in some my other posts I am a beginner to MFC and
> VC++.
> Currently I am studing the book "Teach yourself Visual C++.NET in 21
> Days" from
> Sams and I am finishing it. Can anyone suggest any other books, sites
> or tutorials
> to continue after that book?
> Thanks in advancce.

Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2005 offers excellent introductions to
both MFC and WinForms (using C++/CLI).

-- David

From: ajkalra on
On Mar 30, 11:32 am, "Shahoo" <shahookaman...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> As I have mentioned in some my other posts I am a beginner to MFC and
> VC++.
> Currently I am studing the book "Teach yourself Visual C++.NET in 21
> Days" from
> Sams and I am finishing it. Can anyone suggest any other books, sites
> or tutorials
> to continue after that book?
> Thanks in advancce.

Jeff Prosise's MFC book(2nd edition) is dated(VC6) but is very valid.
Its all about MFC and obviously has nothing about .Net in it.

---
Ajay

From: MrAsm on
On 30 Mar 2007 19:17:45 -0700, ajkalra(a)gmail.com wrote:

>Jeff Prosise's MFC book(2nd edition) is dated(VC6) but is very valid.
>Its all about MFC and obviously has nothing about .Net in it.

I do like Jeff's MFC book very much. It's very very clear: I learned
MFC reading this great book (and coding, too).

For the .NET part, it's just my humble opinion, but I would not invest
time in learning C++ extensions for .NET. If I want to do .NET
programming, I would do it in C# (which IMHO is much better suited for
this kind of task.)

MrAsm
From: David Ching on
"MrAsm" <mrasm(a)usa.com> wrote in message
> For the .NET part, it's just my humble opinion, but I would not invest
> time in learning C++ extensions for .NET. If I want to do .NET
> programming, I would do it in C# (which IMHO is much better suited for
> this kind of task.)

As I've said before, it isn't as easy as people think to create your first
WinForms app in C#. There is enough new that you don't need to be tripping
over the eccentricities of C# (compared to C++) along with everything else.
To a C++ programmer, C++/CLI is intuitive to read and write, with no
gotchas. Just replace "new" with "gcnew" and '^' with '*' and you're done.
C# makes everything look like a value class even when it's clearly not. You
don't need that.

Having fiddled with my first real .NET program (a port of a home-grown spam
killer app I wrote years ago in MFC) in C++/CLI, I think I've learned enough
about WinForms and .NET to do my next one (for commercial deployment) in C#.
But really, C++/CLI is the best way for experienced C++ people to get
started with .NET.

BTW, C# is in no way "better suited for this kind of task." C++/CLI has
exactly the same capabilities as C#, and in fact more of them (e.g. better
finalizer support, increased performance). The only reason I am migrating
to C# is to be positioned to take advantage of WPF and LINQ which will not
be usable from C++/CLI. That and the whole C# ecosystem, with the great
refactoring tools, and the vast C# samples.

-- David