From: Geoff Schaller on
Sorry, like everyone else, I missed the server reference because of your
entirely redundant use of the word 'web service'. You are looking to
write a web server. Whether or not it is running web services or not is
irrelevant. All of them do.

So, you wish to write a replacement for IIS, which is free, and works
really well.

Why?

There is a VO sample for a web server and that has been proven to work.
Rod da Silva spent some time re-writing it to remove some memory leaks
and then he and Ginny smartened up multi-threading for VO to go with it.
But holy jeepers, the windows platform (XP, Vista, W7 and all servers)
comes with a perfectly good and free web server that a VO application
could never hope to match. Use it!

Geoff

From: Ginny Caughey on
For the record, I still wouldn't trust the VO runtime for heavy
multithreaded use. My production apps run 5 threads at most and I am
extremely careful and make every effort to avoid garbage collection in them.
Use IIS. Right tool for the right job. Don't reinvent the wheel. Probably I
can think of some others but dinner is ready.

--

Ginny Caughey
www.wasteworks.com

From: Dirk (Belgium) on
Dirk (Belgium) wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is there anyone who has created a webservice server in VO ?
>
> Can he/she tell me how to start with this ?
> I will appreciate your time.
>
> Dirk (Belgium)

Phil, Geoff, Ginny,

I don't want to re-invent the wheel. so, lets me describe what I want.

Some program (not mine) wants to read and write information out of my
DBF tables, like customer- and article-information. I don't want that
this program directly access the DBF tables, so I was thinking of
writing a web (service) server, which gives this program the
information requested, for example article number 12345 of customer
number 987654.

Can now someone give me the hint how to do this with VO or Vulcan ?

Dirk (Belgium)

From: Karl Faller on
Dirk,

>Some program (not mine) wants to read and write information out of my
>DBF tables, like customer- and article-information. I don't want that
>this program directly access the DBF tables,
but where's the "Web" part? Is your data on a Webserver at all?

Karl

From: richard.townsendrose on
Dirk

If i remember right, you have got ADS.

so allow them to access the data via ADS. If you really want, you
could write a trigger [but use delphi or c] to send on the
information.

richard
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5