From: Nick Friend on
Dirk,

It's a language problem ;-)

There's obviously a big difference between a web server and a web
service, which is where the confusion comes from. Everyone took your
meesage to mean you wanted to write a web server in VO to be able to
run web services on it. In fact, all you need is to write the web
services and host them wherever you want. And there is no need to
create the web services in VO, as this will be completely independent
from your main app.... your app will simply make calls to it.

We call web services written in PHP and hosted on Linux servers. The
main app is VO and uses Soap to simplify the calls to the web service.
If you search the newsgroup for "soap" and "web services" you'll get
loads of hits with code examples for the VO end.

For the web service end, try googling NuSoap and you'll find plenty of
examples of how to code a web service in PHP and NuSoap.

Having said all that, it's a bit outdated to be honest, so you're
probably better to use Net... in which case google web service and net
or c# and again, you'll get thousands of hits with code samples.

The more complex part of this is going to be working out the
interaction between the two apps..

HTH

Nick

From: Nick Friend on
Dirk,

Forgot to add....

Since you don't want the foreign app directly reading and writing your
databases, I'd suggest using the web server as a mid-way point between
the two... which is what I was trying to get at with the first
message.

Program A requests info from program B by leaving a message (sent via
a web service) in the (SQL) database on the web server.

Program B checks the (SQL) database for messages (using another web
service function) and responds by posting the data onto the web server
(SQL) databases (using another web service function).

Program A checks and sees there's a response to it's request and
downloads the necessary data.

The model could be extended to allow program A to send data back to
program B. Since it always goes up to sit in the (SQL) database on the
web server first, this allows your program to decide if and how it
wants to include the changed data in it's local (DBF) database.

Nick
From: Geoff Schaller on
Dirk,

Well we have established a couple of things:

1. you do not need to write a web server.
2. You need to write a web service.
3. the web service will provide the external access (to any platform).

Now, not speaking to Vulcan, the following is the simple way out:

* use VO to write a COM callable DLL that does all the heavy lifting.
* wrap it and generate your COM dll and type library
* register the COM object on the web server machine
* use C# to write a tiny app that simply uses the COM dll and exposes
the methods
* using Visual Studio, simply publish this web service to the web
server.

There are endless examples of this in the web. Google for C# web
service. An afternoon's research and you will be an expert. You could
doubtless do the same with Vulcan and perhaps use Vulcan to natively
access the DBFs.

Geoff

From: Dirk (Belgium) on
Ginny,

Indeed, there is a language problem between me and the rest of the
world. Because I 'm new in this matter, I will be fault and the rest
will be correct.

So, Yes, I want to write a web service which is hosted by IIS. My web
service gets a request (for example: give all data of article 123) and
my web service gives a respons by opening the dbf file and seeking this
article 123 and put the data into a small XML-file.

OK, but how to start writing such a web service ? I hope willie could
give me the starting point.

Dirk.

PS: My DBF files are only used by my apps (more then one). Why is this
the perfect opportunity to move to SQL ? What is the link with web
services?

Dirk (Belgium)

From: Dirk (Belgium) on
Geoff,

I was wrong about the webserver! So now this confusing is gone, we can
really start to program

1. I create a DLL with one function, for example:
FUNCTION SEEK_ARTICLE(nArt) AS STRING PASCAL
RETURN cXML

2. Wrap it and generate a COM DLL and type library
How to do this (I think you mean a tpl file)

3. and 4. We will discuss as soon as 2 is solved.

Dirk (Belgium)

--

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5