From: Art McClinton on
I agree Tom. I carefully described an issue to them with step by step
procedure to generate the error. Since I knew that the result would be
questioned I even entered a brand new quicken file with only 3 entries and
repeated the process with that. And finally since I had a machine that did
not have quicken installed, I installed quicken on that machine and
recreated the error. Their response was that I must have had an error in the
download of Quicken 10 and they wanted me to un-install and re-install with
a fresh download.

Fortunately they do survey after the fact where I questioned if they read
the problem prior to submitting their broken English responses. I do not
know how one can get a bug reported to the developers when the support desk
does not report it. I actually have in writing from a member of the support
desk group that it is not their responsibility to report problems but to
find what the user is doing wrong. The only responses I have received are:
bad quicken executable, error in user file, and it is the banks fault.

Art McClinton

"TomYoung" <sombodee(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Feb 20, 5:52 am, dieHard� <dieH...(a)msn.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 18:34:27 -0800 (PST), jslcr1 <jsl1...(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Quicken is working on a fix for this problem.
>
> seems that with each new update (up to patch 7 already in only a few
> months since release) they end up introducing new problems, removing
> old features and breaking ones that used to work...
>
> maybe they should try working on a fix for their $1 a day offshore
> development staff.

And, while they are at it, perhaps make sure that their email support
staff have a basic mastery of written English. Here's a reply I
received today from Quicken Customer Care: "I would like to suggest
you that If after trying all the steps if you are unable to get the
exact amount. you even tried it test file but result is same so, I
would request you to Uninstall Quicken and reinstall it."

Tom Young

From: jslcr1 on
On Feb 20, 10:58 am, "Art McClinton" <Art.McClin...(a)cox.net> wrote:
> I agree Tom.  I carefully described an issue to them with step by step
> procedure to generate the error. Since I knew that the result would be
> questioned I even entered a brand new quicken file with only 3 entries and
> repeated the process with that. And finally since I had a machine that did
> not have quicken installed, I installed quicken on that machine and
> recreated the error. Their response was that I must have had an error in the
> download of Quicken 10 and they wanted me to un-install and re-install with
> a fresh download.
>
> Fortunately they do survey after the fact where I questioned if they read
> the problem prior to submitting their broken English responses. I do not
> know how one can get a bug reported to the developers when the support desk
> does not report it. I actually have in writing from a member of the support
> desk group that it is not their responsibility to report problems but to
> find what the user is doing wrong. The only responses I have received are:
> bad quicken executable, error in user file, and it is the banks fault.
>
> Art McClinton
>
> "TomYoung" <sombo...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Feb 20, 5:52 am, dieHard® <dieH...(a)msn.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 18:34:27 -0800 (PST), jslcr1 <jsl1...(a)hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > >Quicken is working on a fix for this problem.
>
> > seems that with each new update (up to patch 7 already in only a few
> > months since release) they end up introducing new problems, removing
> > old features and breaking ones that used to work...
>
> > maybe they should try working on a fix for their $1 a day offshore
> > development staff.
>
> And, while they are at it, perhaps make sure that their email support
> staff have a basic mastery of written English.  Here's a reply I
> received today from Quicken Customer Care: "I would like to suggest
> you that If after trying all the steps if you are unable to get the
> exact amount. you even tried it test file but result is same so, I
> would request you to Uninstall Quicken and reinstall it."
>
> Tom Young

I have heard that if you ask to have your problem moved to a higher
person and demand to talk to someone in the states they have done so.
Especially easier done on phone call follow up.
Never had the opportunity to try yet but the next time I will see if I
can get someone here in the states to help.
From: dieHard� on
On 20 Feb 2010 15:31:31 GMT, Han <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote:

>TomYoung <sombodee(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:065c0770-d60e-4fd4-9a71-
>5803d99f7f9c(a)t17g2000prg.googlegroups.com:
>
>> On Feb 20, 5:52�am, dieHard� <dieH...(a)msn.com> wrote:

>>> seems that with each new update (up to patch 7 already in only a few
>>> months since release) they end up introducing new problems, removing
>>> old features and breaking ones that used to work...
>>>
>>> maybe they should try working on a fix for their $1 a day offshore
>>> development staff.
>>
>> And, while they are at it, perhaps make sure that their email support
>> staff have a basic mastery of written English. Here's a reply I
>> received today from Quicken Customer Care: "I would like to suggest
>> you that If after trying all the steps if you are unable to get the
>> exact amount. you even tried it test file but result is same so, I
>> would request you to Uninstall Quicken and reinstall it."
>>
>> Tom Young
>
>What's wrong with that set of statements? Seem perfectly understandable
>to me. It's just that uninstalling and reinstalling is too much trouble
>for me.

"Uninstall - Reinstall"

That's also the title of Chapter One in the Customer Support Training
Manual... to be used in any and all situations where the "tech"
does'nt have a clue.

Just like most commercial stores these days when faced with any kind
of customer confrontaions, they whip out the old "but That's Our
Policy" statement. That's about the most pointless, stupid and
meaningless statement I've ever heard.
From: Han on
dieHard� <dieHard(a)msn.com> wrote in news:bse2o5t7hqhrei6rlr040iaem8dpr78ls0
@4ax.com:

> "Uninstall - Reinstall"

Just like reboot. It takes a lot of time, the victim has a chance to
consider his crimes and maybe figure out what he/she did wrong.

As a victim, I have had to go this route (reboot, and/or uninstall-
reinstall) several (ahem) times. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not so
well.

--
Best regards
Han
From: R. C. White on
HI, Don.

Seems to me that the time sequence is the only one that would produce a
balance that means anything.

I may choose to sort by Payee, for example, but why would I want to see my
"balance" after all my checks to AAA but before all my checks to USAA? Any
interim "balance" would be pure arithmetic trivia, not meaningful in any way
that I can see.

Similarly, sorting by Memo or Category or Tab would produce meaningless
numbers in the "balance" column. There IS an "Ending Balance" below the
final line of the Register. That should always be correct, no matter which
sorting sequence is used. There are valid reasons to sort transactions in
other orders, of course; that is what we do in Reports, not in Registers.

The only Register sequence that seems meaningful to me is one based on
chronology. Even the Date column shows a temporarily "wrong" balance when a
deposit gets credited before or after a check that clears on the same day.
The "Num" column would approximate - or supplement - the Date sequence IF
all transactions were numbered. If all checks were numbered and written in
order. BUT...what about deposits? What about credit and debit memos and
monthly interest credits or bank charges? Those are not numbered. They
would impact the "balance" in some sequence that would be hard to predict -
and the "balance" produced would still be meaningless.

I don't recall any different behavior pre-Q2010.

What am I missing here?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA