From: BURT on
On Jul 20, 9:08 am, Sanny <softtank...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> We see glass is transparent.
>
> When light touches a surface it gets absorbed and reflected.
>
> But in case of glass the light goes inside it and comes out from other
> end.
>
> Earlier I made a guess the number of molecules in glass blocking the
> light will be less.
>
> But then I found some 1 feet thick glass are transparent.
>
> While even a 1mm thick aluminium plate do not allow to pass the light.
>
> So number of molecules stopping light do not effect whether a
> substance is transparent or not.
>
> I think its the arrangment of molecules that descide wether the
> substance is transparent or not.
>
> Does Glass molecule acts like a spring? and Just like a Spring allows
> waves to travel through it. Glass allows light wave to pass.
>
> What type of arrangment of molecules lead to transparency?
>
> Bye
> Sanny
>
> Chat with Physics Professor:http://www.getclub.com/chat_with/?key=Physics

We also know when light is in the atom the electric field of the atom
slows light down.

Mitch Raemsch
From: Raymond Yohros on
On Jul 20, 2:50 pm, waldofj <wald...(a)verizon.net> wrote:
> > by the way, H2O is the best industrial
> > transparency molecule i know.
>
> not even close. Think fiber optics

yes, i meant a reflective transparency
medium.

r.y

From: bert on
On Jul 20, 12:08 pm, Sanny <softtank...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> We see glass is transparent.
>
> When light touches a surface it gets absorbed and reflected.
>
> But in case of glass the light goes inside it and comes out from other
> end.
>
> Earlier I made a guess the number of molecules in glass blocking the
> light will be less.
>
> But then I found some 1 feet thick glass are transparent.
>
> While even a 1mm thick aluminium plate do not allow to pass the light.
>
> So number of molecules stopping light do not effect whether a
> substance is transparent or not.
>
> I think its the arrangment of molecules that descide wether the
> substance is transparent or not.
>
> Does Glass molecule acts like a spring? and Just like a Spring allows
> waves to travel through it. Glass allows light wave to pass.
>
> What type of arrangment of molecules lead to transparency?
>
> Bye
> Sanny
>
> Chat with Physics Professor:http://www.getclub.com/chat_with/?key=Physics

Glass is not 100% transparent. If it was it would be invisable Reason
it has some reflection.(glare) Want to get rid of glarry glass but a
thin film of oil on its surface.(oily soap) A very clever lady Ms Day
told me this TreBert
From: Brad Guth on
On Jul 23, 2:46 pm, bert <herbertglazie...(a)msn.com> wrote:
> On Jul 20, 12:08 pm, Sanny <softtank...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > We see glass is transparent.
>
> > When light touches a surface it gets absorbed and reflected.
>
> > But in case of glass the light goes inside it and comes out from other
> > end.
>
> > Earlier I made a guess the number of molecules in glass blocking the
> > light will be less.
>
> > But then I found some 1 feet thick glass are transparent.
>
> > While even a 1mm thick aluminium plate do not allow to pass the light.
>
> > So number of molecules stopping light do not effect whether a
> > substance is transparent or not.
>
> > I think its the arrangment of molecules that descide wether the
> > substance is transparent or not.
>
> > Does Glass molecule acts like a spring? and Just like a Spring allows
> > waves to travel through it. Glass allows light wave to pass.
>
> > What type of arrangment of molecules lead to transparency?
>
> > Bye
> > Sanny
>
> > Chat with Physics Professor:http://www.getclub.com/chat_with/?key=Physics
>
> Glass is not 100% transparent. If it was it would be invisable Reason
> it has some reflection.(glare) Want to get rid of glarry glass but a
> thin film of oil on its surface.(oily soap)  A very clever lady Ms Day
> told me this   TreBert

ZBLAND glass seems best, offering as good as .01 DB loss per km.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zblan_transmit.jpg

Too bad photons are so slow, and a whole lot slower yet within glass.

~ BG
From: Brad Guth on
On Jul 23, 2:46 pm, bert <herbertglazie...(a)msn.com> wrote:
> On Jul 20, 12:08 pm, Sanny <softtank...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > We see glass is transparent.
>
> > When light touches a surface it gets absorbed and reflected.
>
> > But in case of glass the light goes inside it and comes out from other
> > end.
>
> > Earlier I made a guess the number of molecules in glass blocking the
> > light will be less.
>
> > But then I found some 1 feet thick glass are transparent.
>
> > While even a 1mm thick aluminium plate do not allow to pass the light.
>
> > So number of molecules stopping light do not effect whether a
> > substance is transparent or not.
>
> > I think its the arrangment of molecules that descide wether the
> > substance is transparent or not.
>
> > Does Glass molecule acts like a spring? and Just like a Spring allows
> > waves to travel through it. Glass allows light wave to pass.
>
> > What type of arrangment of molecules lead to transparency?
>
> > Bye
> > Sanny
>
> > Chat with Physics Professor:http://www.getclub.com/chat_with/?key=Physics
>
> Glass is not 100% transparent. If it was it would be invisable Reason
> it has some reflection.(glare) Want to get rid of glarry glass but a
> thin film of oil on its surface.(oily soap)  A very clever lady Ms Day
> told me this   TreBert

ZBLAN glass seems best, offering as good as .01 DB loss per km.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zblan_transmit.jpg

Too bad photons are always so slow, and a whole lot slower yet within
glass.

~ BG