From: Immortalist on
On Jul 20, 9:22 am, Sam Wormley <sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/20/10 11:08 AM, Sanny wrote:
>
> > We see glass is transparent.
>
> Transparency and translucency
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparency_and_translucency
>
> "When light encounters a material, it can interact with it in several
> different ways. These interactions depend on the nature of the light
> (its wavelength, frequency, energy, etc.) and the nature of the
> material. Light waves interact with an object by some combination of
> reflection, and transmittance with refraction".
>
> Electromagnetically induced transparency
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetically_induced_transparency

So the light (electromagnetic radiation) that hits the glass is
absorbed by electrons and retransmitted to the next mineral (glass
molecule) and so on, till the light has propagated all the way through
the glass? In this way the light is emitted from the other side of the
glass, a sort of replacement light pattern. Some say that this is why
looking through glasses eventually will harm your eyes because some
frequencies don't make it through even they are not visible light.
From: Sam Wormley on
On 7/23/10 7:12 PM, Immortalist wrote:
> So the light (electromagnetic radiation) that hits the glass is
> absorbed by electrons and retransmitted to the next mineral (glass
> molecule) and so on, till the light has propagated all the way through
> the glass? In this way the light is emitted from the other side of the
> glass, a sort of replacement light pattern. Some say that this is why
> looking through glasses eventually will harm your eyes because some
> frequencies don't make it through even they are not visible light.

Photon Energy
E = hν

E_emitted ≤ E_absorbed

No increase in photon energy, therefore wearing glassed does NOT
damage eyes due to increased energy.

From: Immortalist on
On Jul 23, 6:24 pm, Sam Wormley <sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/23/10 7:12 PM, Immortalist wrote:
>
> > So the light (electromagnetic radiation) that hits the glass is
> > absorbed by electrons and retransmitted to the next mineral (glass
> > molecule) and so on, till the light has propagated all the way through
> > the glass? In this way the light is emitted from the other side of the
> > glass, a sort of replacement light pattern. Some say that this is why
> > looking through glasses eventually will harm your eyes because some
> > frequencies don't make it through even they are not visible light.
>
>    Photon Energy
>      E = hν
>
>      E_emitted ≤ E_absorbed
>
>      No increase in photon energy, therefore wearing glassed does NOT
>      damage eyes due to increased energy.

I have heard that eye glasses filter out some uv and other frequencies
which subtracts from full spectrum light. Are you sure that glass
doesn't change the light?
From: Immortalist on
On Jul 23, 3:32 pm, Brad Guth <bradg...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 2:46 pm, bert <herbertglazie...(a)msn.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 20, 12:08 pm, Sanny <softtank...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > We see glass is transparent.
>
> > > When light touches a surface it gets absorbed and reflected.
>
> > > But in case of glass the light goes inside it and comes out from other
> > > end.
>
> > > Earlier I made a guess the number of molecules in glass blocking the
> > > light will be less.
>
> > > But then I found some 1 feet thick glass are transparent.
>
> > > While even a 1mm thick aluminium plate do not allow to pass the light..
>
> > > So number of molecules stopping light do not effect whether a
> > > substance is transparent or not.
>
> > > I think its the arrangment of molecules that descide wether the
> > > substance is transparent or not.
>
> > > Does Glass molecule acts like a spring? and Just like a Spring allows
> > > waves to travel through it. Glass allows light wave to pass.
>
> > > What type of arrangment of molecules lead to transparency?
>
> > > Bye
> > > Sanny
>
> > > Chat with Physics Professor:http://www.getclub.com/chat_with/?key=Physics
>
> > Glass is not 100% transparent. If it was it would be invisable Reason
> > it has some reflection.(glare) Want to get rid of glarry glass but a
> > thin film of oil on its surface.(oily soap)  A very clever lady Ms Day
> > told me this   TreBert
>
> ZBLAND glass seems best, offering as good as .01 DB loss per km.
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zblan_transmit.jpg
>
>  Too bad photons are so slow, and a whole lot slower yet within glass.

I think they travel at the speed of light but the time it takes to
absorb them and then re-transmit them takes time and makes the
resulting measurement seem slower than the speed of light.

From: Sam Wormley on
On 7/23/10 9:18 PM, Immortalist wrote:
> On Jul 23, 6:24 pm, Sam Wormley<sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/23/10 7:12 PM, Immortalist wrote:
>>
>>> So the light (electromagnetic radiation) that hits the glass is
>>> absorbed by electrons and retransmitted to the next mineral (glass
>>> molecule) and so on, till the light has propagated all the way through
>>> the glass? In this way the light is emitted from the other side of the
>>> glass, a sort of replacement light pattern. Some say that this is why
>>> looking through glasses eventually will harm your eyes because some
>>> frequencies don't make it through even they are not visible light.
>>
>> Photon Energy
>> E = hν
>>
>> E_emitted ≤ E_absorbed
>>
>> No increase in photon energy, therefore wearing glassed does NOT
>> damage eyes due to increased energy.
>
> I have heard that eye glasses filter out some uv and other frequencies
> which subtracts from full spectrum light. Are you sure that glass
> doesn't change the light?

Filtering UV won't harm your eyes. Furthermore blocking UV reduces
the likelihood of cataracts.