From: Yousuf Khan on
Rod Speed wrote:
> It may have been a glitch with your IDE/SATA converter.

Not possible, none of these drives has anything to do with the IDE/SATA
converters. The drive that disappeared briefly was a native SATA drive
connected via SATA, and the optical drives are all IDE running through
IDE. In fact, the converted IDE/SATA drives are running beautifully, no
problems whatsoever.

This is why it was so strange, the optical drives are all IDE now, and
the hard drives are all running through SATA now. There should be no
connection between the optical drives and the hard drives -- totally
separate controllers.

Yousuf Khan
From: Rod Speed on
Yousuf Khan wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> You do sometimes see memory leaks in XP produce that result.

>> Normally you have to be quite a while between reboots to see that,
>> or be running something that produces memory leaks very badly.

> Well, I do tend to run this system like a server. It's usually up for
> weeks at a time, 24 hours/day. The main app that runs on it during
> this time is a bittorrent client.

Thats certainly the situation where you see memory leaks with XP.

I run like that myself and eventually see some problem, usually that
I cant have as much stuff open at once as I can just after a reboot.

The most recent reboot was because the menus in OE went missing.

>>> But there were no warnings in SMART about that drive.

>> Because it was nothing to do with the drive, just the OS.

> I'd have thought at least some kind of CRC error increment or something.

That doesnt see a drive go missing, just sees DMA turned off and PIO used instead.

From: Arno on
Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> You do sometimes see memory leaks in XP produce that result.
>>
>> Normally you have to be quite a while between reboots to see that,
>> or be running something that produces memory leaks very badly.

> Well, I do tend to run this system like a server. It's usually up for
> weeks at a time, 24 hours/day. The main app that runs on it during this
> time is a bittorrent client.

>>> But there were no warnings in SMART about that drive.
>>
>> Because it was nothing to do with the drive, just the OS.

> I'd have thought at least some kind of CRC error increment or something.

If the error was entierly with the controller, the drive may
never have seen any problem.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Yousuf Khan on
Arno wrote:
> If the error was entierly with the controller, the drive may
> never have seen any problem.

Well, considering that the error showed up with both an IDE and a SATA
drive, it may have something to do with the motherboard's disk
controller subsystem. It was just something transient, because I just
did a warm reboot (i.e. no power-off) and it fixed it.

This system is now running Win7 rather than XP, so it might be a driver
issue too.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
calypso(a)fly.srk.fer.hr.invalid wrote:
> Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> kenjka:
>> Something strange just happened recently, under Windows 7, although I
>> have seen it happen under Windows XP before too. A hard drive that's
>> internal (i.e. always there, not physically removable), just disappeared
>> from Windows sight. No longer accessible, HD Sentinel didn't see it
>> either. Rebooted, and everything was fine, it came back. But there were
>> no warnings in SMART about that drive. Is there something in the Windows
>> logs that I can see about this?
>
> Try to replace your cables... You said that you have seen this behaviour on
> XP and now on Win7... Often the most stupid thing is giving you the
> headaches and produces those 'ghosty' behaviour nobody can understand... :)

In the case of the IDE cables, that had already been tried before, and
it made no difference. Haven't really tried it with the SATA cables, but
none of these SATA cables are from the same batch, they were all
independently obtained as drives were added.

Would the number of drives in the system be a problem here? I got 5
internal hard drives (all SATA), 3 external hard drives (1 eSATA, 2
USB), plus 2 optical drives (all IDE). I got a 650W PSU for it.

Yousuf Khan