From: Yousuf Khan on
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> Something strange just happened recently, under Windows 7, although I
> have seen it happen under Windows XP before too. A hard drive that's
> internal (i.e. always there, not physically removable), just disappeared
> from Windows sight. No longer accessible, HD Sentinel didn't see it
> either. Rebooted, and everything was fine, it came back. But there were
> no warnings in SMART about that drive. Is there something in the Windows
> logs that I can see about this?
>
> Yousuf Khan

Looks like I've had another recurance of this problem on Windows 7, just
over 3 weeks later. The same issues again, I got an Event ID 15 on the
Disk subsystem in device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1. And also just like
before, I got a simultaneous Event ID 11 on the ATAPI subsystem in
device \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Now, I don't think that there is actually anything wrong with the DVD
drive, corresponding to event id 11 on \Device\Ide\IdePort0. There was
only one instance of that message, but there were six instances of the
event id 15. Plus there was nothing in the DVD drives at the time to
read, so I think the event 11 is just a spurious message by a confused
system. As a test, I also tried reading a disk from that DVD drive
later, and it was able to read just fine.

I rebooted and all of the drives came back fine. But that's a crappy but
standard Windows solution, don't like it.

I've included the Everest SMART report down below on the drive
experiencing the problems.

> [ ST3750330AS (3QK05VWL) ]
>
> 01 Raw Read Error Rate 6 114 99 75934965 OK: Value is normal
> 03 Spin Up Time 0 94 93 0 OK: Always passing
> 04 Start/Stop Count 20 100 100 217 OK: Value is normal
> 05 Reallocated Sector Count 36 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
> 07 Seek Error Rate 30 72 60 16500356 OK: Value is normal
> 09 Power-On Time Count 0 92 92 7462 OK: Always passing
> 0A Spin Retry Count 97 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
> 0C Power Cycle Count 20 100 100 173 OK: Value is normal
> B8 <vendor-specific> 99 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
> BB <vendor-specific> 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passing
> BC <vendor-specific> 0 99 99 655370 OK: Always passing
> BD <vendor-specific> 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passing
> BE <vendor-specific> 45 61 51 706347047 OK: Value is normal
> C2 Temperature 0 39 50 39 OK: Always passing
> C3 Hardware ECC Recovered 0 29 18 75934965 OK: Always passing
> C5 Current Pending Sector Count 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passing
> C6 Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passing
> C7 Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate 0 200 200 0 OK: Always passing

As you can see there's a lot of Raw Read errors, Seek errors, and
hardware ECC recovered. What's the most likely cause of this? Cable?

Yousuf Khan
From: Rod Speed on

Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote
> Yousuf Khan wrote:

>> Something strange just happened recently, under Windows 7, although I have seen it happen under Windows XP before
>> too. A hard drive that's internal (i.e. always there, not physically removable), just disappeared from Windows sight.
>> No longer accessible, HD Sentinel didn't see it either. Rebooted, and everything was fine, it came back. But there
>> were no warnings in SMART about that drive. Is there something in the Windows logs that I can see about this?

> Looks like I've had another recurance of this problem on Windows 7, just over 3 weeks later. The same issues again, I
> got an Event ID 15 on the Disk subsystem in device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1. And also just like before, I got a
> simultaneous Event ID 11 on the ATAPI subsystem in device \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

> Now, I don't think that there is actually anything wrong with the DVD drive, corresponding to event id 11 on
> \Device\Ide\IdePort0. There was only one instance of that message, but there were six instances of the event id 15.
> Plus there was nothing in the DVD drives at the time to read, so I think the event 11 is just a spurious message by a
> confused system. As a test, I also tried reading a disk from that DVD drive later, and it was able to read just fine.

> I rebooted and all of the drives came back fine. But that's a crappy but standard Windows solution, don't like it.

Most likely just another example of why new versions of stuff as
complex as an OS are best avoided until they weed the warts out.

> I've included the Everest SMART report down below on the drive experiencing the problems.
>
>> [ ST3750330AS (3QK05VWL) ]
>>
>> 01 Raw Read Error Rate 6 114 99 75934965 OK: Value is normal
>> 03 Spin Up Time 0 94 93 0 OK: Always passing
>> 04 Start/Stop Count 20 100 100 217 OK: Value is normal
>> 05 Reallocated Sector Count 36 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
>> 07 Seek Error Rate 30 72 60 16500356 OK: Value is normal
>> 09 Power-On Time Count 0 92 92 7462 OK: Always passing
>> 0A Spin Retry Count 97 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
>> 0C Power Cycle Count 20 100 100 173 OK: Value is normal
>> B8 <vendor-specific> 99 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
>> BB <vendor-specific> 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passing
>> BC <vendor-specific> 0 99 99 655370 OK: Always passing
>> BD <vendor-specific> 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passing
>> BE <vendor-specific> 45 61 51 706347047 OK: Value is normal
>> C2 Temperature 0 39 50 39 OK: Always passing
>> C3 Hardware ECC Recovered 0 29 18 75934965 OK: Always passing
>> C5 Current Pending Sector Count 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passing
>> C6 Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passing
>> C7 Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate 0 200 200 0 OK: Always passing

> As you can see there's a lot of Raw Read errors, Seek errors, and hardware ECC recovered.

Thats normal for a Seagate. Have a look at them using google and groups.google.

> What's the most likely cause of this?

Just the way Seagate does things. With the seeks, the lower bits are just the total number
of seeks, the seek errors are in the higher bits and you dont have any with that drive.

> Cable?

Nope, that C7 and you dont have any of those.

From: Yousuf Khan on
Rod Speed wrote:
> Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote
>> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
>>> Something strange just happened recently, under Windows 7, although I have seen it happen under Windows XP before
>>> too. A hard drive that's internal (i.e. always there, not physically removable), just disappeared from Windows sight.
>>> No longer accessible, HD Sentinel didn't see it either. Rebooted, and everything was fine, it came back. But there
>>> were no warnings in SMART about that drive. Is there something in the Windows logs that I can see about this?
>
>> Looks like I've had another recurance of this problem on Windows 7, just over 3 weeks later. The same issues again, I
>> got an Event ID 15 on the Disk subsystem in device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1. And also just like before, I got a
>> simultaneous Event ID 11 on the ATAPI subsystem in device \Device\Ide\IdePort0.
>
>> Now, I don't think that there is actually anything wrong with the DVD drive, corresponding to event id 11 on
>> \Device\Ide\IdePort0. There was only one instance of that message, but there were six instances of the event id 15.
>> Plus there was nothing in the DVD drives at the time to read, so I think the event 11 is just a spurious message by a
>> confused system. As a test, I also tried reading a disk from that DVD drive later, and it was able to read just fine.
>
>> I rebooted and all of the drives came back fine. But that's a crappy but standard Windows solution, don't like it.
>
> Most likely just another example of why new versions of stuff as
> complex as an OS are best avoided until they weed the warts out.

There's not even a Microsoft technote about Event id 15 for Windows 7,
but there's plenty of them for XP, Server 2008, etc. All of the
solutions for the other ones lead to patches of some kind.

Is there any way of submitting my event logs to Microsoft and have them
take a look?

>> I've included the Everest SMART report down below on the drive experiencing the problems.
>>
>>> [ ST3750330AS (3QK05VWL) ]
>>>
>>> 01 Raw Read Error Rate 6 114 99 75934965 OK: Value is normal
>>> 03 Spin Up Time 0 94 93 0 OK: Always passing
>>> 04 Start/Stop Count 20 100 100 217 OK: Value is normal
>>> 05 Reallocated Sector Count 36 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
>>> 07 Seek Error Rate 30 72 60 16500356 OK: Value is normal
>>> 09 Power-On Time Count 0 92 92 7462 OK: Always passing
>>> 0A Spin Retry Count 97 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
>>> 0C Power Cycle Count 20 100 100 173 OK: Value is normal
>>> B8 <vendor-specific> 99 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
>>> BB <vendor-specific> 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passing
>>> BC <vendor-specific> 0 99 99 655370 OK: Always passing
>>> BD <vendor-specific> 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passing
>>> BE <vendor-specific> 45 61 51 706347047 OK: Value is normal
>>> C2 Temperature 0 39 50 39 OK: Always passing
>>> C3 Hardware ECC Recovered 0 29 18 75934965 OK: Always passing
>>> C5 Current Pending Sector Count 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passing
>>> C6 Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passing
>>> C7 Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate 0 200 200 0 OK: Always passing
>
>> As you can see there's a lot of Raw Read errors, Seek errors, and hardware ECC recovered.
>
> Thats normal for a Seagate. Have a look at them using google and groups.google.

I'm starting to be inclined to agree with you about Seagates. At the
very least they are hottest drives I have, these days. The ones in my
external cases are all over 50�C. This one is the lone internal one, so
it's being cooled just fine, but it's unhappy for some other reason.

>> What's the most likely cause of this?
>
> Just the way Seagate does things. With the seeks, the lower bits are just the total number
> of seeks, the seek errors are in the higher bits and you dont have any with that drive.
>
>> Cable?
>
> Nope, that C7 and you dont have any of those.

Is Ultra ATA CRC error even relevant on SATA drives anymore, since it's
not an Ultra ATA drive. Or is that just a generic term these days?

Yousuf Khan
From: Rod Speed on

Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote

>>> Looks like I've had another recurance of this problem on Windows 7, just over 3 weeks later. The same issues again,
>>> I got an Event ID 15 on the Disk subsystem in device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1. And also just like before, I got a
>>> simultaneous Event ID 11 on the ATAPI subsystem in device \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

>>> Now, I don't think that there is actually anything wrong with the DVD drive, corresponding to event id 11 on
>>> \Device\Ide\IdePort0. There was only one instance of that message, but there were six instances of the event id 15.
>>> Plus there was nothing in the DVD drives at the time to read, so I think the event 11 is just a spurious message by
>>> a confused system. As a test, I also tried reading a disk from that DVD drive later, and it was able to read just
>>> fine.

>>> I rebooted and all of the drives came back fine. But that's a crappy but standard Windows solution, don't like it.

>> Most likely just another example of why new versions of stuff as
>> complex as an OS are best avoided until they weed the warts out.

> There's not even a Microsoft technote about Event id 15 for Windows 7, but there's plenty of them for XP, Server 2008,
> etc. All of the solutions for the other ones lead to patches of some kind.

Looks like an area they have been having problems with then.

> Is there any way of submitting my event logs to Microsoft and have them take a look?

Not unless you have a support contract with them.

>>> I've included the Everest SMART report down below on the drive experiencing the problems.

>>> As you can see there's a lot of Raw Read errors, Seek errors, and hardware ECC recovered.

>> Thats normal for a Seagate. Have a look at them using google and groups.google.

> I'm starting to be inclined to agree with you about Seagates.

Yeah, I use Samsungs myself now. They are a bit later with the biggest drives tho.

> At the very least they are hottest drives I have, these days.

And Samsungs are the coolest, particularly the greens.

> The ones in my external cases are all over 50�C. This one is the lone internal one, so it's being cooled just fine,
> but it's unhappy for some other reason.

Yeah, I've avoided them ever since they started to use china for manufacturing.

>>> What's the most likely cause of this?

>> Just the way Seagate does things. With the seeks, the lower bits are just the total number
>> of seeks, the seek errors are in the higher bits and you dont have any with that drive.

>>> Cable?

>> Nope, that C7 and you dont have any of those.

> Is Ultra ATA CRC error even relevant on SATA drives anymore, since it's not an Ultra ATA drive. Or is that just a
> generic term these days?

Yeah, just a poor long description for C7 now.

From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <4bc39d1b$1(a)news.bnb-lp.com>, Yousuf Khan
<bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> writes

>As you can see there's a lot of Raw Read errors, Seek errors, and
>hardware ECC recovered. What's the most likely cause of this? Cable?

I'd go for a replacement power supply followed immediately by running
the disk manufacturer's diagnostics.

With SMART figures like that, how can you say you don't think there is
anything wrong with the drive?

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.