From: bbbl67 on
On Mar 22, 5:12 pm, caly...(a)fly.srk.fer.hr.invalid wrote:
> 5 internal SATA drives? Which power supply you've got? Brand is what I'd
> like to know...

It's a Zalman. The same people who make those fancy overclocker heat
sinks for processors.

> External drives have their own PSU, so they don't count... But 5 internal
> drives + 2 optical drives could be the problem, even on 650W PSU if it's
> low-quality... But somehow, I think you've got a good PSU...

It's a quad-rail PSU. Sorry, it's not a 650W, it's a 600W PSU, my
mistake. No matter, that's just Zalman's conservative rating, another
manufacturer, OCZ, repackages the same PSU and rates it at 700W.

I did have a problem with low-quality PSU's in the past, I used to go
for cheap 400W units based on price mostly, until I started noticing
that certain instabilities were being caused. So I decided to properly
invest in this one, this time. However, even still, a single 12V rail
can only supply upto 18.5A, which is 222W. I think two of those rails
are dedicated to the motherboard, and one for a high-end video card
(don't have one of those), and the rest for anything else, which
probably means the hard drives. Is 222W enough? I would've thought so.

> So, you said that only one drive were disappearing or it's something random
> and every drive disappears from time to time?

It just happened once, it isn't a recurring thing (yet). But once is
enough in this case. It's not supposed to do that at all, not unless
the drive itself dies which didn't happen.

Yousuf Khan
From: Rod Speed on
bbbl67 wrote:
> On Mar 22, 5:12 pm, caly...(a)fly.srk.fer.hr.invalid wrote:
>> 5 internal SATA drives? Which power supply you've got? Brand is what
>> I'd like to know...
>
> It's a Zalman. The same people who make those fancy overclocker heat
> sinks for processors.
>
>> External drives have their own PSU, so they don't count... But 5
>> internal drives + 2 optical drives could be the problem, even on
>> 650W PSU if it's low-quality... But somehow, I think you've got a
>> good PSU...
>
> It's a quad-rail PSU. Sorry, it's not a 650W, it's a 600W PSU, my
> mistake. No matter, that's just Zalman's conservative rating, another
> manufacturer, OCZ, repackages the same PSU and rates it at 700W.
>
> I did have a problem with low-quality PSU's in the past, I used to go
> for cheap 400W units based on price mostly, until I started noticing
> that certain instabilities were being caused. So I decided to properly
> invest in this one, this time. However, even still, a single 12V rail
> can only supply upto 18.5A, which is 222W. I think two of those rails
> are dedicated to the motherboard, and one for a high-end video card
> (don't have one of those), and the rest for anything else, which
> probably means the hard drives. Is 222W enough? I would've thought so.
>
>> So, you said that only one drive were disappearing or it's something
>> random and every drive disappears from time to time?
>
> It just happened once, it isn't a recurring thing (yet). But once is
> enough in this case. It's not supposed to do that at all, not unless
> the drive itself dies which didn't happen.

Thats also a classic with memory leak problems, they dont
happen that often, only after quite a while after the reboot.

From: mscotgrove on
On Mar 23, 7:26 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> bbbl67 wrote:
> > On Mar 22, 5:12 pm, caly...(a)fly.srk.fer.hr.invalid wrote:
> >> 5 internal SATA drives? Which power supply you've got? Brand is what
> >> I'd like to know...
>
> > It's a Zalman. The same people who make those fancy overclocker heat
> > sinks for processors.
>
> >> External drives have their own PSU, so they don't count... But 5
> >> internal drives + 2 optical drives could be the problem, even on
> >> 650W PSU if it's low-quality... But somehow, I think you've got a
> >> good PSU...
>
> > It's a quad-rail PSU. Sorry, it's not a 650W, it's a 600W PSU, my
> > mistake. No matter, that's just Zalman's conservative rating, another
> > manufacturer, OCZ, repackages the same PSU and rates it at 700W.
>
> > I did have a problem with low-quality PSU's in the past, I used to go
> > for cheap 400W units based on price mostly, until I started noticing
> > that certain instabilities were being caused. So I decided to properly
> > invest in this one, this time. However, even still, a single 12V rail
> > can only supply upto 18.5A, which is 222W. I think two of those rails
> > are dedicated to the motherboard, and one for a high-end video card
> > (don't have one of those), and the rest for anything else, which
> > probably means the hard drives. Is 222W enough? I would've thought so.
>
> >> So, you said that only one drive were disappearing or it's something
> >> random and every drive disappears from time to time?
>
> > It just happened once, it isn't a recurring thing (yet). But once is
> > enough in this case. It's not supposed to do that at all, not unless
> > the drive itself dies which didn't happen.
>
> Thats also a classic with memory leak problems, they dont
> happen that often, only after quite a while after the reboot.- Hide quoted text -

Have you eliminated any drive mapping problems. I have noted drives
disappearing when there is a conflict with a network mapped drive, or
a drive SUBST command. I am not sure if this will happen with an
internal drive.

Michael
From: Rod Speed on
mscotgrove(a)aol.com wrote:
> On Mar 23, 7:26 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> bbbl67 wrote:
>>
>>> It's a Zalman. The same people who make those fancy overclocker heat
>>> sinks for processors.

>>> It's a quad-rail PSU. Sorry, it's not a 650W, it's a 600W PSU, my
>>> mistake. No matter, that's just Zalman's conservative rating,
>>> another manufacturer, OCZ, repackages the same PSU and rates it at
>>> 700W.
>>
>>> I did have a problem with low-quality PSU's in the past, I used to
>>> go for cheap 400W units based on price mostly, until I started
>>> noticing that certain instabilities were being caused. So I decided
>>> to properly invest in this one, this time. However, even still, a
>>> single 12V rail can only supply upto 18.5A, which is 222W. I think
>>> two of those rails are dedicated to the motherboard, and one for a
>>> high-end video card (don't have one of those), and the rest for
>>> anything else, which probably means the hard drives. Is 222W
>>> enough? I would've thought so.

>>> It just happened once, it isn't a recurring thing (yet). But once is
>>> enough in this case. It's not supposed to do that at all, not unless
>>> the drive itself dies which didn't happen.
>>
>> Thats also a classic with memory leak problems, they dont
>> happen that often, only after quite a while after the reboot.

> Have you eliminated any drive mapping problems.

Unlikely to affect two drives.

> I have noted drives disappearing when there is a conflict
> with a network mapped drive, or a drive SUBST command.
> I am not sure if this will happen with an internal drive.

Yes it can.

From: Yousuf Khan on
mscotgrove(a)aol.com wrote:
> Have you eliminated any drive mapping problems. I have noted drives
> disappearing when there is a conflict with a network mapped drive, or
> a drive SUBST command. I am not sure if this will happen with an
> internal drive.

Yeah, that's not going to be the problem. I'd have had to have actually
tried to map a network drive at the time this internal drive
disappeared. The internal drive just disappeared by itself, and as I
said before there are entries in the Windows System log showing when it
happened. It showed controller problems at the time, with no other
details beyond that.

Yousuf Khan