From: Arno on
Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> There is no disc controller on the motherboard with IDE drives.
>>> That's what Integrated Drive Electronics means, after all. Turn your
>>> disc unit over. See the chips and circuitry? That's where the disc
>>> controller is. The motherboard contains merely a PCI-to-ATA bridge.
>>>
>> Yes, yes, we all know that, [...]
>>
> Apparently not. M. Arno and M. Speed don't, it seems. It's
> disappointing in the former case.

I just happen to know what a bridge is and what a controller is.
That it is a "disk communications controller" does not really matter
here. But a bridge would never need a driver for anything, as it is
invisible on the software side (whith the exception of timing effects).
Also addressing on the PCI bus is different from ATA addressing, which
also means it cannot be only a bridge.

Incidentially, this question is besides the point.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

>>> Yes, yes, we all know that, [...]
>>>
>> Apparently not. M. Arno and M. Speed don't, it seems. It's
>> disappointing in the former case.
>>
> I just happen to know what a bridge is and what a controller is.

No, kiddo, you really don't in this case. And as I said, that's
disappointing in your case. Think! If ever you find yourself with the
same (mis-)understanding of hardware as Rod Speed has, alarm bells
should be going off.

> That it is a "disk communications controller" does not really matter
> here. But a bridge would never need a driver for anything, as it is
> invisible on the software side (whith the exception of timing effects).

I've news for you. Not only do PCI-to-ATA bridges have drivers, but
even PCI-to-PCI bridges have drivers. On Windows NT, for example, the
latter are driven by the PCI.sys driver. The idea that bridges don't
need drivers is not in accordance with what you'll find actually
happening on your PC. And the consequent idea that if something has a
driver it cannot be a bridge is, accordingly, nonsense.

> Also addressing on the PCI bus is different from ATA addressing, which
> also means it cannot be only a bridge.

Two different buses bridged together aren't required to have the same
addressing, kiddo. That's often the point of their being two different
buses that require a bridge connecting them.

From: Yousuf Khan on
Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:

>>> There is no disc controller on the motherboard with IDE drives.
>>> That's what Integrated Drive Electronics means, after all. Turn your
>>> disc unit over. See the chips and circuitry? That's where the disc
>>> controller is. The motherboard contains merely a PCI-to-ATA bridge.
>>>
>> Yes, yes, we all know that, [...]
>>
> Apparently not. M. Arno and M. Speed don't, it seems. It's
> disappointing in the former case.

If you're going to be completely pedantic about it, and continue on with
the networking analogy, then "bridge" isn't necessarily the right term
either. In the case of a RAID arrangement, then it's acting more like
router. In the case of an ATAPI device, it's acting more like a gateway.

Yousuf Khan
From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

>>> Yes, yes, we all know that, [...]
>>>
>> Apparently not. M. Arno and M. Speed don't, it seems. It's
>> disappointing in the former case.
>>
> If you're going to be completely pedantic about it, and continue on
> with the networking analogy, [...]
It's not a networking analogy. Things that connect computer buses are
known as bridges, bus bridges if there's scope for confusion with any
other sorts of bridges. There are many sorts, because many computer
buses have been connected together over the years, from Unibus to the
VESA Local Bus. In the world of PCI we have PCI-to-ISA bridges,
PCI-to-ATA bridges, PCI-to-PCI bridges, and of course the bridge between
PCI bus 0 and the processor bus.

> In the case of an ATAPI device, [...]
In the case of an ATAPI device, the actual bus is still an ATA bus. The
bus itself isn't any different. (If it were, after all, one wouldn't be
able to correctly connect the device to the cable.) Nor is the
PCI-to-ATA bridge connecting it to the PCI bus any different. The
difference between ATA and ATAPI is in the disc unit itself, at the disc
unit command level and (to a lesser extent) the disc unit device
register level, not at the bus level. The bus is the same, and the
bridge is the same.

From: Arno on
Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, yes, we all know that, [...]
>>>
>> Apparently not. M. Arno and M. Speed don't, it seems. It's
>> disappointing in the former case.

> If you're going to be completely pedantic about it, and continue on with
> the networking analogy, then "bridge" isn't necessarily the right term
> either. In the case of a RAID arrangement, then it's acting more like
> router. In the case of an ATAPI device, it's acting more like a gateway.

Indeed. A bridge is ISO/OSI layer 2, which means same addressing
on both sides, but potentially different speeds, collision domains
or bus access arbitration. An important factor is here that both
connected networks can initiate transfers and are generally considered
to be on the same hierachical level. I agree on the router and gateway
analogy.

As addressing is different on PCI and (S)ATA, and the disks are
certainly not on the same hierachical level as the computer side,
the term "bridge" goes out the window.

In a hierachical situation the device is generally called a
"controller", since it has power over what is attached to it,
i.e. "controls" it.

With regard to ISO/OSI layers, "bridge" would also not qualify,
as due to DMA, NCQ, etc., the PC side disk controller is at
least on Layer 3, possibly higher.

Arno