From: Yousuf Khan on
Something strange just happened recently, under Windows 7, although I
have seen it happen under Windows XP before too. A hard drive that's
internal (i.e. always there, not physically removable), just disappeared
from Windows sight. No longer accessible, HD Sentinel didn't see it
either. Rebooted, and everything was fine, it came back. But there were
no warnings in SMART about that drive. Is there something in the Windows
logs that I can see about this?

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> Something strange just happened recently, under Windows 7, although I
> have seen it happen under Windows XP before too. A hard drive that's
> internal (i.e. always there, not physically removable), just disappeared
> from Windows sight. No longer accessible, HD Sentinel didn't see it
> either. Rebooted, and everything was fine, it came back. But there were
> no warnings in SMART about that drive. Is there something in the Windows
> logs that I can see about this?
>
> Yousuf Khan

Looks like I found the message I was looking for in the Windows event
log. It looks like I was experiencing simultaneous problems with a SATA
hard disk and an IDE DVD drive (although that's weird since there was
nothing inside the DVD drive at the time). I saw the following messages:

Disk Error message:

> Log Name: System
> Source: Disk
> Date: 21/03/2010 7:31:57 AM
> Event ID: 15
> Task Category: None
> Level: Error
> The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, is not ready for access yet.

ATAPI Error message:

From: Rod Speed on
Yousuf Khan wrote

> Something strange just happened recently, under Windows 7, although I have seen it happen under Windows XP before too.
> A hard drive that's internal (i.e. always there, not physically removable), just
> disappeared from Windows sight. No longer accessible, HD Sentinel
> didn't see it either. Rebooted, and everything was fine, it came back.

You do sometimes see memory leaks in XP produce that result.

Normally you have to be quite a while between reboots to see that,
or be running something that produces memory leaks very badly.

> But there were no warnings in SMART about that drive.

Because it was nothing to do with the drive, just the OS.

> Is there something in the Windows logs that I can see about this?

Yes, you should be able to see evidence of memory leaks in
there when the lack of free memory becomes quite severe.

From: Rod Speed on
Yousuf Khan wrote
> Yousuf Khan wrote

>> Something strange just happened recently, under Windows 7, although I have seen it happen under Windows XP before
>> too. A hard drive that's internal (i.e. always there, not physically removable), just
>> disappeared from Windows sight. No longer accessible, HD Sentinel
>> didn't see it either. Rebooted, and everything was fine, it came
>> back. But there were no warnings in SMART about that drive. Is there
>> something in the Windows logs that I can see about this?

> Looks like I found the message I was looking for in the Windows event log. It looks like I was experiencing
> simultaneous problems with a SATA hard disk and an IDE DVD drive (although that's weird since there was nothing inside
> the DVD drive at the time). I saw the following messages:

> Disk Error message:

>> Log Name: System
>> Source: Disk
>> Date: 21/03/2010 7:31:57 AM
>> Event ID: 15
>> Task Category: None
>> Level: Error
>> The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, is not ready for access yet.

> ATAPI Error message:

>> Log Name: System
>> Source: atapi
>> Date: 21/03/2010 7:31:57 AM
>> Event ID: 11
>> Task Category: None
>> Level: Error
>> The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

It may have been a glitch with your IDE/SATA converter.

From: Yousuf Khan on
Rod Speed wrote:
> You do sometimes see memory leaks in XP produce that result.
>
> Normally you have to be quite a while between reboots to see that,
> or be running something that produces memory leaks very badly.

Well, I do tend to run this system like a server. It's usually up for
weeks at a time, 24 hours/day. The main app that runs on it during this
time is a bittorrent client.

>> But there were no warnings in SMART about that drive.
>
> Because it was nothing to do with the drive, just the OS.

I'd have thought at least some kind of CRC error increment or something.

Yousuf Khan