From: VanguardLH on
sheana wrote:

> I subscribe to a number of MS newsgroups, but, for example, when I clicked
> on the newsgroup for word.general I got a message that that newsgroup was
> not available from the MS server. Is MS phasing out the
> communities/newsgroups? Let me know, because I find them incredibly helpful.
> Thanks in advance.

Stop using Microsoft's NNTP server. Microsoft is abandoning their
4-year experiment to attempt usurping the 30-year old Usenet. Connect
your newsreader (Outlook Express) to another NNTP server. Many are
free, like albasani and eternal-september, and some are very cheap, like
individual.net ($16USD/yr). Netiner Usenet or the microsoft.public.*
newsgroups are disappearing. It's Microsoft that's leaving Usenet.
From: Jose on
On Jul 17, 9:56 am, "MapleE." <someo...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> [...]
> >> helpful. Thanks in advance.
>
> > I'm truly surprised you haven't seen this on any newsgroup in the last few
> > months:
>
> > "What is Happening?
> > This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
> > newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.
>
> > Why?
> > As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
> > traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
> > past several years while customers and participants are increasingly
> > finding
> > solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites.
> > This
> > move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it
> > easier
> > for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies
> > and
> > make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
> > improved indexing.  Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
> > management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging
> > healthy discussion in a clean community space.  To this end, Microsoft
> > will
> > begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
> > and discontinue support for newsgroups.
>
> > In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
> > users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
> > newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
> > which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
> > forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP
> > reader
> > functionality.  You can find instructions on how to download and set up
> > the
> > NNTP Bridge here:http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/
>
> > Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
> > All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
> > October 1, 2010.  Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased
> > approach,
> > starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
> > active ones throughout the course of the next six months.
>
> > Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
> > In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is
> > scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite
> > you to participate at
> >http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xphardware/threads
> > forum(s).  An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.
>
> > Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
> >http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx
>
> > Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
> > Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to

The new forums present a very different and unique environment.

You do get to accumulate points though and maybe when you get enough
points, you get a medal or something.

I am saving up my points for a pony (or maybe a new puppy).
From: mm on
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 08:47:27 -0400, "sheana" <sheana(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>I haven't been reading the newsgroups lately. but since I will have to
>migrate to the forums, where are they? Thanks in advance.

I don't think you will have to migrate. Though the newsgroups that
start with microsoft. have ms in their name, they are not the property
of ms.

I've been reading them for 15 years, and never used an MS server.
For 10 years I used my ISP erols, for two weeks I used another ISP
Verizon, for three months I used something related to ForteAgent, and
for a couple years I've used eternal-september. It's free but there
are servers with longer retetion times that cost 3 or 4 dollars a
month. (and which carry binaries, that don't interest me.)

Plus, and no offense meant, there are other windows newsgroups without
MS in their names.

The only problem I foresee is if too many posters move exclusively to
MS forums. Even with high-speed access, I hate webforums -- Usenet
works far better -- and I hope they won't move. There is nothing else
as good as usenet and the people on it who help others.

I think one way to discourage moving is if we all stay here, using
another newsserver if necessary.

Hmmm. I like VAnguard's answer better than mine.

From: mm on
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 08:24:11 -0700 (PDT), Jose <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>The new forums present a very different and unique environment.
>
>You do get to accumulate points though and maybe when you get enough
>points, you get a medal or something.
>
>I am saving up my points for a pony (or maybe a new puppy).

I think with enough points they will give you VP 2.4, Virtual Pony.

Once you turn off the monitor, you don't need to provide hay.
From: Dave F. on
On 17/07/2010 23:49, mm wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 08:24:11 -0700 (PDT), Jose<jose_ease(a)yahoo.com>
> wrote:

> I think with enough points they will give you VP 2.4, Virtual Pony.

You obviously didn't read the T&C's. They don't "give" you the pony just
the right to use it until they decide to withdraw that right. :)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Welcome Screen
Next: blue screen