From: John McGaw on
On 7/17/2010 5:43 AM, sheana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I subscribe to a number of MS newsgroups, but, for example, when I
> clicked on the newsgroup for word.general I got a message that that
> newsgroup was not available from the MS server. Is MS phasing out the
> communities/newsgroups? Let me know, because I find them incredibly
> helpful. Thanks in advance.

MS has announced the shutdown multiple times in every one of their
newsgroups AFAIK. Yes, they are shutting down. A little bit annoying but at
least it will kill the trolls...
From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 15:07:37 -0400, John McGaw <nowhere(a)at.all> wrote:

> On 7/17/2010 5:43 AM, sheana wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I subscribe to a number of MS newsgroups, but, for example, when I
> > clicked on the newsgroup for word.general I got a message that that
> > newsgroup was not available from the MS server. Is MS phasing out the
> > communities/newsgroups? Let me know, because I find them incredibly
> > helpful. Thanks in advance.
>
> MS has announced the shutdown multiple times in every one of their
> newsgroups AFAIK. Yes, they are shutting down. A little bit annoying but at
> least it will kill the trolls...

Several points:

1. Although Microsoft is shutting down the newsgroups on *their* news
servers, that does not mean the newsgroups cease to exist. They
continue to be available on the many other news servers around the
world that echoes them. Here are three free ones where they can be
found:

aioe.org
new.eternal-september.org
news.albasani.net

The volume of posts has decreased and will very likely continue to
decrease, but that's not the same as the newsgroups disappearing.

2. Microsoft has replaced the newsgroups with web-based forums. As far
as I'm concerned, they are greatly inferior to the newsgroups, but at
least there is something.

3. It is possible to participate in the web-based forums using your
newsreader, using NNTP bridge software. Microsoft has some that's
available, but I prefer this one: http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/

I participate in the forums that way. In my view, it's far from
perfect, but it's much faster and greatly preferable to using the
forums directly.

4. Trolling in the old sense is largely gone from the forums, however
instead we now have messages complaining to Microsoft about this or
that. Many people don't realize that the forums are peer support
forums, like the newsgroups were, and they think they are addressing
Microsoft directly. So we now have a new kind of nonsense instead of
the old kind.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: milt on
On 7/17/2010 4:43 AM, sheana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I subscribe to a number of MS newsgroups, but, for example, when I
> clicked on the newsgroup for word.general I got a message that that
> newsgroup was not available from the MS server. Is MS phasing out the
> communities/newsgroups? Let me know, because I find them incredibly
> helpful. Thanks in advance.

Because Microsoft is lame and getting rid of newsgroup support and
instead trying to force people to their lame forums. Yes, many find them
helpful but MS doesn't care.
From: milt on
On 7/18/2010 3:42 PM, Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> Several points:
>
> 1. Although Microsoft is shutting down the newsgroups on *their* news
> servers, that does not mean the newsgroups cease to exist. They
> continue to be available on the many other news servers around the
> world that echoes them. Here are three free ones where they can be
> found:
>
> aioe.org
> new.eternal-september.org
> news.albasani.net
>
> The volume of posts has decreased and will very likely continue to
> decrease, but that's not the same as the newsgroups disappearing.

I just checked eternal-september (been using it for months) and they do
NOT seem to carry any of the microsoft.public.* hierarchy. I don't know
about aioe.org or news.albasani.net

> 2. Microsoft has replaced the newsgroups with web-based forums. As far
> as I'm concerned, they are greatly inferior to the newsgroups, but at
> least there is something.

Greatly inferior and you trade trolls for tons of repetitive posts you
can't filter out to get to anything useful.

From: Alias on
On 7/18/2010 11:11 PM, milt wrote:
> On 7/18/2010 3:42 PM, Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
>> Several points:
>>
>> 1. Although Microsoft is shutting down the newsgroups on *their* news
>> servers, that does not mean the newsgroups cease to exist. They
>> continue to be available on the many other news servers around the
>> world that echoes them. Here are three free ones where they can be
>> found:
>>
>> aioe.org
>> new.eternal-september.org
>> news.albasani.net
>>
>> The volume of posts has decreased and will very likely continue to
>> decrease, but that's not the same as the newsgroups disappearing.
>>
> I just checked eternal-september (been using it for months) and they do
> NOT seem to carry any of the microsoft.public.* hierarchy. I don't know
> about aioe.org or news.albasani.net

I'm posting from eternal-september. Try refreshing the newsgroups before
you search.

--
Alias
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last