From: sheana on
Where do I find these other NNTP servers?

From: sheana on
I signed up for eternal-september, and when I got a list of their available
newsgroups, I didn't see anything relating to MS products. I put configured
my eternal-september account with the user id and pw they sent me, which
they said was necessary to view all available newsgroups.

I took a look at albasani, and used their contact form to request an
account. So I'll have to wait on that.

But how do I find the Microsoft groups on eternal-september?

Which NNTP server are most of the MVP's migrating to?

Thanks in advance,

sheana

From: Peter on
On 07/18/2010 12:59 PM, sheana wrote:
> I signed up for eternal-september, and when I got a list of their
> available newsgroups, I didn't see anything relating to MS products. I
> put configured my eternal-september account with the user id and pw they
> sent me, which they said was necessary to view all available newsgroups.
>
> I took a look at albasani, and used their contact form to request an
> account. So I'll have to wait on that.
>
> But how do I find the Microsoft groups on eternal-september?
>
> Which NNTP server are most of the MVP's migrating to?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> sheana

Did you try refreshing the newsgroups?

--
Peter
From: NimbUs on
"sheana" <sheana(a)nospam.invalid> asked (partly snipped for brevity) :

> But how do I find the Microsoft groups on eternal-september?
See other messages in the thread, and see below...

> Which NNTP server are most of the MVP's migrating to?

Look Sheana, it doesn't matter much which NNTP server the MVPs (or
you or me) are using; the way net news work, is any server (should)
receive and present all of the articles - wherever each such was
initially posted to. That's in the principle. In practice, some news
servers might be better managed than others, have different policies
(concerning retention delay, spam filtering, etc.). Also each news
server on the planet has administrators who may choose not to reflect
individual groups for whatever reasons. As a consequence, I don't
know for sure that "eternel september" is broadcasting the ms.*
groups or not (as I'm not using that server), but - since other
knowledgeable responders have pointed you to that server - I would
rather assume it has them.

--
NimbUs
From: Jason S on
On 2010-07-17 05:43:08 -0400, sheana said:

> Hi,
>
> I subscribe to a number of MS newsgroups, but, for example, when I
> clicked on the newsgroup for word.general I got a message that that
> newsgroup was not available from the MS server. Is MS phasing out the
> communities/newsgroups? Let me know, because I find them incredibly
> helpful. Thanks in advance.

I doubt they'll be removed from premium Usenet provider servers (i.e.
Giganews, Usenetserver, etc.). As long as you're using a non-MS server,
they'll still be around. However, Microsoft is not carrying them as
their "official" newsgroups.

--
Jason

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last