From: Chris Abele on
On 3/22/2010 7:41 PM, Michael S wrote:
> On Mar 22, 11:54 pm, Petter Gustad<newsmailco...(a)gustad.com> wrote:
>> General Schvantzkoph<schvantzk...(a)yahoo.com> writes:
>>> Nothing beats Emacs
>>
>> I agree! I hate Eclipse.
>>

> I hate Eclipse too. But I don't like Emacs.
> Gimme something simple, preferably Multi-Edit.

Wow! That's a blast from the past - I used Multi-Edit for years and
loved it.
From: Patrick Maupin on
On Mar 22, 2:43 pm, Philippe <philippe.f...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) have long been the primary
> tool for software engineers. Like an airplane cockpit, an IDE is the
> control center from which the engineer accesses all of the data and
> tools that he needs. IDEs, and especially Eclipse, have proven to be
> extensible, open, high quality platforms.

IDEs have long been the primary tool for wannabe code jockeys who
throw things together without really understanding how things work.

There, FTFY.

Pat
From: rickman on
On Mar 22, 7:36 pm, Eric Smith <space...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2:36 pm, "M. Norton" <remill...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On whole I agree with you, however let's be realistic, the learning
> > curve for Emacs is incredibly steep.
>
> A steep learning curve is a Good Thing.  If it was shallow, it would
> take you a very long time to learn it.

I didn't see a smiley at the end of that one... is it possible you are
serious?

Rick
From: Eric Smith on
Think about it. When you graph the learning curve, what are the axes?
From: Kim Enkovaara on
Alan Fitch wrote:
> I also found it seemed slow (probably because I was running it on a slow
> machine): but I've never found vi or emacs feel slow.

You can't find fast enough machine to make eclipse fast. It is always
slow.

--Kim