From: Gabor on
On Mar 22, 3:43 pm, Philippe <philippe.f...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) have long been the primary
> tool for software engineers. Like an airplane cockpit, an IDE is the
> control center from which the engineer accesses all of the data and
> tools that he needs. IDEs, and especially Eclipse, have proven to be
> extensible, open, high quality platforms.
>
> However, until now, IDEs have not been popular in hardware development
> circles. This is partly because many of the available IDEs for
> hardware development have not lived up to the potential of IDEs that
> is typical in the software world. Instead, IDEs tend to be overly
> complex, closed, and they lock the customer in.
>
> Today, though, Eclipse is finally gaining traction among EDA
> (electronic design automation) and FPGA companies. One such EDA
> company, Sigasi, has just released the first commercial VHDL plugin
> for Eclipse. Now, at last, hardware design teams can use Eclipse as a
> basis for their own customized IDEs, based on the commercial and open-
> source plugins that they need in their central cockpit for hardware
> design.
>
> I've published a white paper on this subject.http://www.sigasi.com/content/why-hardware-designers-should-switch-ec...
> I'd be interested to know what you guys think.
>
> kind regards
>
> Philippe Faes
> Founding CEO Sigasihttp://www.sigasi.com

Any plans to support the other half of hardware developers in
the Verilog camp? Most of my projects are either all Verilog
or mixed VHDL / Verilog. For just code entry I either use
the chip-vendors brain-dead editor, which at least highlights
known device primitive names so I don't need the Libraries
Guide every time I instantiate them, or I use MED with my
own language customizations.

Regards,
Gabor
From: Philippe on
On Mar 23, 2:56 pm, Gabor <ga...(a)alacron.com> wrote:
> Any plans to support the other half of hardware developers in
> the Verilog camp?

We do want to support Verilog and SystemVerilog in the future.
However, for now we concentrate on VHDL.
http://www.sigasi.com/faq/what-about-systemverilog-and-other-languages

Philippe
From: Andy Peters on
On Mar 22, 12:43 pm, Philippe <philippe.f...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) have long been the primary
> tool for software engineers. Like an airplane cockpit, an IDE is the
> control center from which the engineer accesses all of the data and
> tools that he needs. IDEs, and especially Eclipse, have proven to be
> extensible, open, high quality platforms.
>
> However, until now, IDEs have not been popular in hardware development
> circles. This is partly because many of the available IDEs for
> hardware development have not lived up to the potential of IDEs that
> is typical in the software world. Instead, IDEs tend to be overly
> complex, closed, and they lock the customer in.
>
> Today, though, Eclipse is finally gaining traction among EDA
> (electronic design automation) and FPGA companies. One such EDA
> company, Sigasi, has just released the first commercial VHDL plugin
> for Eclipse. Now, at last, hardware design teams can use Eclipse as a
> basis for their own customized IDEs, based on the commercial and open-
> source plugins that they need in their central cockpit for hardware
> design.
>
> I've published a white paper on this subject.http://www.sigasi.com/content/why-hardware-designers-should-switch-ec...
> I'd be interested to know what you guys think.
>
> kind regards
>
> Philippe Faes
> Founding CEO Sigasihttp://www.sigasi.com

I'm another long-term emacs user. Eclipse is the standard environment
for the Xilinx SDK and I quickly discovered that I did not like it.
It's slow, and completely non-obvious, and has a lot of hidden
directories and files in the project directories and at least in the
Xilinx-specific environment I had no idea which of those magic files
were actually important to the build process and which were cruft.
(And Xilinx didn't have a good answer.)

You want a good IDE for C programming? Apple's Xcode. I am not
kidding.

But for VHDL, nothing beats emacs and Reto's vhdl-mode. And why should
I pay to get something that doesn't do nearly what emacs/vhdl-mode
does?

-a
From: Nico Coesel on
Philippe <philippe.faes(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) have long been the primary
>tool for software engineers. Like an airplane cockpit, an IDE is the
>control center from which the engineer accesses all of the data and
>tools that he needs. IDEs, and especially Eclipse, have proven to be
>extensible, open, high quality platforms.

I couldn't agree more. I have read the other responses but what I read
there is: I don't know Eclipse and I don't want to learn. I used to be
among those until I gave Eclipse a good try.

After getting used to the not so obvious layout and terms I understood
the underlying ideas which are really nifty. Nowadays I develop
everything with Eclipse because it helps me to keep a good overview on
my projects.

nico(a)nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
From: Nico Coesel on
Petter Gustad <newsmailcomp6(a)gustad.com> wrote:

>Alan Fitch <apf(a)invalid.invalid> writes:
>
>> I find Eclipse baffling, though I wouldn't say I hate it. It seems to
>> have weird jargon (what is a perspective?).
>
>Hi Alan,
>
>I've been using Makefiles and Emacs for many years. Using Eclipse I
>have to search the hierarchy of perspectives, menus, tabs, etc. to
>click a button in order to add -Os to CFLAGS for gcc!
>
>Also I don't like the concept of workspaces which are using files and
>directories in a fixed place in the file system (even it it's your
>home directory). I like to check out my design (being software or HDL)
>from a revision control system anywhere and build it there, which
>means using relative pathnames.

Not true. Your can check out a project in any place and Eclipse will
be perfectly happy since it will recreate the makefiles before
building.

nico(a)nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)