From: Petter Gustad on
Alan Fitch <apf(a)invalid.invalid> writes:

> I find Eclipse baffling, though I wouldn't say I hate it. It seems to
> have weird jargon (what is a perspective?).

Hi Alan,

I've been using Makefiles and Emacs for many years. Using Eclipse I
have to search the hierarchy of perspectives, menus, tabs, etc. to
click a button in order to add -Os to CFLAGS for gcc!

Also I don't like the concept of workspaces which are using files and
directories in a fixed place in the file system (even it it's your
home directory). I like to check out my design (being software or HDL)
from a revision control system anywhere and build it there, which
means using relative pathnames.

Petter
--
..sig removed by request.
From: Philippe on
On Mar 23, 9:46 am, Petter Gustad <newsmailco...(a)gustad.com> wrote:
> Also I don't like the concept of workspaces which are using files and
> directories in a fixed place in the file system (even it it's your
> home directory). I like to check out my design (being software or HDL)
> from a revision control system anywhere and build it there, which
> means using relative pathnames.

Dear Petter,

In Eclipse, you can check out a project in any location at all, and
then point your Eclipse to that location.
While the conventional place to check out projects would be ${HOME}/
workspace/projectname, you can use any other location on your file
system.

kind regards

Philippe
From: Petter Gustad on
Philippe <philippe.faes(a)gmail.com> writes:

> In Eclipse, you can check out a project in any location at all, and
> then point your Eclipse to that location.
> While the conventional place to check out projects would be ${HOME}/
> workspace/projectname, you can use any other location on your file
> system.

But it's not a relative pathname, is it? If you copy it or use it on a
system where the filesystem is mounted elsehere it will fail to find
it.

Petter
--
..sig removed by request.
From: Hendrik on
Moving files around within your project is a no-brainer. Sigasi will
even update your Makefile if you wish.
And it is also no problem to move 'projects' around on your computer
(or network). You just have to point Eclipse to the new location.

Hendrik.

From: Nial Stewart on
> Generally I use nedit and a whole bunch of perl scripts/java apps I've written
> over the years. I'm not totally against eclipse. I use it with the Lattice mico32
> environment for instance.

Similary, I use Textpad with perl scripts and a lot of tool customisation.

> Regarding the Sigasi tool, the price on the website is 'within reason'. What's not
> within reason, IMHO, is the licensing model. If I don't fork out every year it
> will stop working. I would never even look at a tool that I can't get a perpetual
> license for. If I develop a project with it then I want to be able to come back to
> it again in five years if I have to regenerate the project from my archives.

I started looking at Sigasi but stopped experimenting when I found out the price/
licensing model.

Nial