From: Petter Gustad on
Hendrik <hendrik.eeckhaut(a)gmail.com> writes:

> (or network). You just have to point Eclipse to the new location.

That's one of the things I don't like: absolute pathnames.

In my typical makefile based environment I don't have to change
anything to point to the new location if I should switch back and
forth between computers where the directory is mounted at different
mount points since the paths are all relative.

Pettr
--
..sig removed by request.
From: Hendrik on
You misunderstood. The only absolute path is in the user interface. If
you move your project, you will also have to change parameters to
point Emacs to the new location, be it a command line parameter.

The paths in Makefiles do NOT depend on the location of the project.

Hendrik.

From: Marcus Harnisch on
Philippe <philippe.faes(a)gmail.com> writes:

> In Eclipse, you can check out a project in any location at all, and
> then point your Eclipse to that location.

Problem is that in Eclipse you don't seem to be able to specify
*project relative* paths for resources (aka project files), except via
user variables which is annoying. All paths are either absolute or
relative to the workspace.

As for the speed, once started up, Eclipse/Win32 runs with decent
performance fast even on my old laptop. Even closing it an restarting
is not too bad. The startup delay is due to the JavaVM I suppose.

I know (former) passionate Eclipse haters who have just switched due
to the impressive speed improvements in recent versions.

Disclaimer: I use Eclipse for certain C development only, so my
opinion might be impacted by behaviour specific to ARM Embedded
Workbench/CDT plugin features.

Regards
Marcus

--
note that "property" can also be used as syntactic sugar to reference
a property, breaking the clean design of verilog; [...]

(seen on http://www.veripool.com/verilog-mode_news.html)
From: M. Norton on
On Mar 22, 6:36 pm, Eric Smith <space...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2:36 pm, "M. Norton" <remill...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On whole I agree with you, however let's be realistic, the learning
> > curve for Emacs is incredibly steep.
>
> A steep learning curve is a Good Thing.  If it was shallow, it would
> take you a very long time to learn it.

Alright, you got me. :-) I used the phrase in a vernacular way
without being terribly precise. Let me be specific.

With emacs, coming at it with little to no prior knowledge, there are
a great many skills that need to be acquired to become proficient with
merely editing text, let alone achieving the productivity required to
achieve success in a reasonable amount of time for a complex HDL
project, in particular compared to a text editor whose interface that,
through use of various other common text editing utilities and
applications, might be relatively intuitive.

With Sigasi, at least upon light inspection, I thought it had a great
many features that might be useful for the casual HDL designer without
the necessity of becoming fully proficient with emacs. I believe
emacs is probably the superior environment, not the least of which is
the FOSS nature of the software compared with the Sigasi, but it is
not a trivial task to learn it.

I didn't try Sigasi with anything very large, and I did not try to
customize it. I stepped through the tutorial/feature list, thought
"hey that's interesting" and went back to my development in emacs. I
would hope that the Sigasi developers are reading this thread and
noticing all the complaints from others and considering ways to
mitigate those experiences. Still simply because I do not need the
features at the price doesn't mean no one would find value with it,
which is all I was trying to express originally.

As for the "steep learning curve" comment, I did a little research on
Google and it's an interestingly common mis-use of the concept so I'll
have to find some other way of saying what I intended to say :-).

Mark Norton

From: John_H on
On Mar 23, 1:44 am, Eric Smith <space...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Think about it.  When you graph the learning curve, what are the axes?

uhhh.... "steep learning curve" is a bad thing. The axis aren't
knowledge gained versus time but knowledge required versus competence.

It's not like a "quantum improvement" where a quanta is the lowest
measurable unit. Learning curves haven't been misused in this
engineer's opinion. Perhaps until now.