From: Philippe on
Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) have long been the primary
tool for software engineers. Like an airplane cockpit, an IDE is the
control center from which the engineer accesses all of the data and
tools that he needs. IDEs, and especially Eclipse, have proven to be
extensible, open, high quality platforms.

However, until now, IDEs have not been popular in hardware development
circles. This is partly because many of the available IDEs for
hardware development have not lived up to the potential of IDEs that
is typical in the software world. Instead, IDEs tend to be overly
complex, closed, and they lock the customer in.

Today, though, Eclipse is finally gaining traction among EDA
(electronic design automation) and FPGA companies. One such EDA
company, Sigasi, has just released the first commercial VHDL plugin
for Eclipse. Now, at last, hardware design teams can use Eclipse as a
basis for their own customized IDEs, based on the commercial and open-
source plugins that they need in their central cockpit for hardware
design.

I've published a white paper on this subject.
http://www.sigasi.com/content/why-hardware-designers-should-switch-eclipse
I'd be interested to know what you guys think.

kind regards

Philippe Faes
Founding CEO Sigasi
http://www.sigasi.com
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:43:04 -0700, Philippe wrote:

> Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) have long been the primary
> tool for software engineers. Like an airplane cockpit, an IDE is the
> control center from which the engineer accesses all of the data and
> tools that he needs. IDEs, and especially Eclipse, have proven to be
> extensible, open, high quality platforms.
>
> However, until now, IDEs have not been popular in hardware development
> circles. This is partly because many of the available IDEs for hardware
> development have not lived up to the potential of IDEs that is typical
> in the software world. Instead, IDEs tend to be overly complex, closed,
> and they lock the customer in.
>
> Today, though, Eclipse is finally gaining traction among EDA (electronic
> design automation) and FPGA companies. One such EDA company, Sigasi, has
> just released the first commercial VHDL plugin for Eclipse. Now, at
> last, hardware design teams can use Eclipse as a basis for their own
> customized IDEs, based on the commercial and open- source plugins that
> they need in their central cockpit for hardware design.
>
> I've published a white paper on this subject.
> http://www.sigasi.com/content/why-hardware-designers-should-switch-
eclipse
> I'd be interested to know what you guys think.
>
> kind regards
>
> Philippe Faes
> Founding CEO Sigasi
> http://www.sigasi.com

Nothing beats Emacs
From: M. Norton on
On Mar 22, 4:06 pm, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzk...(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Nothing beats Emacs

On whole I agree with you, however let's be realistic, the learning
curve for Emacs is incredibly steep. For folks who are eyeball-deep
in VHDL code 100% of the time, learning Emacs pays off in dividends
that continue for years to come. However, not all engineers are in
positions where that payback will be as great or continuous. For
those, something like Sigasi might work pretty well.

I have done a little bit of work with Sigasi in the last week or so.
As IDE's go, it's pretty decent. It's far more code centric than most
IDE's I've used, and seems well put together. While I suspect I'm
faster with Emacs (and as such, some of the refactoring tools Sigasi
implements aren't as useful) I've been very interested in how someone
new would respond to the environment. It's a lot better than shoving
someone into the text editors in any of the vendor tools, and similar
products like HDL Designer have the siren call of the schematic
capture design which I think leads into bad design practices.

Anyhow, Sigasi does seem to be a good tool. I don't know if the price
point will make it successful -- another reason emacs is kind of
amazing is that it's entirely open source and free, but I wish the
developers the best of luck. I daresay it's a hard market to break
into. If we get into a position to be purchasing more tool licenses,
I'll definitely ask folks to evaluate it. I know I'd feel a lot
better about someone using that tool, rather than HDL Designer.
From: Petter Gustad on
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> Nothing beats Emacs

I agree! I hate Eclipse.

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Alan Fitch on
On 22/03/10 21:54, Petter Gustad wrote:
> General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Nothing beats Emacs
>
> I agree! I hate Eclipse.
>
> Petter

I find Eclipse baffling, though I wouldn't say I hate it. It seems to
have weird jargon (what is a perspective?).

I also found it seemed slow (probably because I was running it on a slow
machine): but I've never found vi or emacs feel slow.

regards
Alan

P.S. I am a wimp (WIMP?) so I use nedit or notepad++...

--
Alan Fitch