From: AJL on
BillW50 <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:

>AJL wrote on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 15:40:33 -0700:

>> And that may become necessary someday for my Xandros powered Eee PC 2G
>> Surf netbook. It won't recognize my newer HP slimline external DVD
>> drive. And I've never been able to find a driver to get it to work.
>> But it still recognizes my several year old monster sized externally
>> powered HP DVD drive so I'm OK for now... ;)
>
>Xandros doesn't recognize it or the BIOS doesn't?
>You can tell if the BIOS sees it by hitting the ESC key before Linux
>boots up. That kicks in the boot menu. And it will show up in the list
>if the BIOS sees it.

Just tried your suggestion. The boot menu *does show* the slimline
drive. So Xandros is the culprit.

I never worked on the problem too hard since my old HP external drive
works fine so I just use it. Out of curiosity (at the time) I did a
little research about using the slimline drive with the Surf but came
up empty. And really I would hate to rock the boat installing and
trying drivers even if I found one cause that little 7" box hasn't
crashed in months, it really works well with the original setup.
Course that just proves AJL's laptop theory#1... ;)
From: felmon on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:58:41 -0700, AJL wrote:

> To the OP: I recently restored my Eee PC netbook (also no internal DVD
> but which came with a recovery DVD disk) and besides needing the
> external DVD writer for that, I needed it to reinstall all my old apps,
> which of course came on CD/DVDs...
>
> Get the DVD writer, you won't be sorry...

I am seriously considering this but I'm a bit short of time as I am
packing for a European jaunt and everything is last moment plus it would
be nice not to carry more gear.

am looking into clonezilla.

Felmon
From: felmon on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:31:56 -0500, BillW50 wrote:

> Well I personally value backups far superior to the recovery disc
> anyway. As once you have backups, the recovery disc is only good for if
> you want to sell or give your computer away anyway. As why would you
> want a system without your favorite applications and settings for? And
> in your case, a totally different OS to boot. ;-)

in principle I agree with this but this device may go to my spouse and we
are a two operating system ('bi-OS'?) couple so I figured it would be
good to be able to restore to factory condition once I'm done with it.

perhaps I should just configure the Windows partition to my liking, back
that up and give her the kit and kaboodle when the time comes, she'd
probably be just as happy, or happier even.

Felmon
From: BillW50 on
AJL wrote on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:01:08 -0700:
> *My theory* is that a laptop works best with the software that was
> matched to and originally came installed on it. And AJL's theory of
> laptops #2 is that the original factory installation as restored by a
> recovery disk works faster and better than that OS with a years worth
> of updates. The theory certainly works out on this netbook... ;)

Yes, I too have seen this evidence time and time again. ;-)

--
Bill
2 Asus EEE PC 7014G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
From: BillW50 on
AJL wrote on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:27:05 -0700:
> BillW50 <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:
>
>> AJL wrote on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 15:40:33 -0700:
>
>>> And that may become necessary someday for my Xandros powered Eee PC 2G
>>> Surf netbook. It won't recognize my newer HP slimline external DVD
>>> drive. And I've never been able to find a driver to get it to work.
>>> But it still recognizes my several year old monster sized externally
>>> powered HP DVD drive so I'm OK for now... ;)
>> Xandros doesn't recognize it or the BIOS doesn't?
>> You can tell if the BIOS sees it by hitting the ESC key before Linux
>> boots up. That kicks in the boot menu. And it will show up in the list
>> if the BIOS sees it.
>
> Just tried your suggestion. The boot menu *does show* the slimline
> drive. So Xandros is the culprit.
>
> I never worked on the problem too hard since my old HP external drive
> works fine so I just use it. Out of curiosity (at the time) I did a
> little research about using the slimline drive with the Surf but came
> up empty. And really I would hate to rock the boat installing and
> trying drivers even if I found one cause that little 7" box hasn't
> crashed in months, it really works well with the original setup.
> Course that just proves AJL's laptop theory#1... ;)

Oh okay. My Samsung slimline SE-S084 DVD burner works fine under
Xandros. And it even plays non-copy protected DVDs too. Well smooth for
the first 5 seconds then choppy and the sound breaking up on this
1140x900 external monitor after that. Needs more CPU power is my guess.
Works fine with Windows XP on the same machine though. ;-)

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC