From: AJL on
BillW50 <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:

>My Samsung slimline SE-S084 DVD burner works fine under
>Xandros. And it even plays non-copy protected DVDs too. Well smooth for
>the first 5 seconds then choppy and the sound breaking up on this
>1140x900 external monitor after that. Needs more CPU power is my guess.

Yes my Xandros powered 2G Surf is choppy on video also. But it works
well at what it was designed and named for: Surfing.
(email and Usenet too of course).

BTW I finally retired my Palms and got an iPod touch. It surfs,
emails, and Usenets as good as the 2G Surf (and the video's not choppy
either). I may just leave the Surf at home on the next trip...

>Works fine with Windows XP on the same machine though. ;-)

I have read of successful XP installs on the tiny 2G drive of the
Surf. However I don't own an XP copy and anyway as I said before, if
it ain't broke... ;)
From: Gene E. Bloch on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:31:56 -0500, BillW50 wrote:

> Gene E. Bloch wrote on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 20:13:36 -0700:
> [...]
>> The other computers here have software to burn recovery DVDs, but I had to
>> supply my own blanks :-)
>>
>> Two of them are not much good anyway - the computers stated out with
>> Windows Vista and I upgraded them to Win 7, so I'm not eager to recover to
>> factory status.
>>
>> I'll rely on backups - which I don't do often enough. Of course :-)
>
> Well I personally value backups far superior to the recovery disc
> anyway. As once you have backups, the recovery disc is only good for if
> you want to sell or give your computer away anyway. As why would you
> want a system without your favorite applications and settings for? And
> in your case, a totally different OS to boot. ;-)

I agree -- I have used a recovery disc for just the purpose you mention,
with the addition of running a disk wipe program to clear the now unused
portion of the recovered disk (just for paranoia) before giving it away.

As for value of recovering to a totally different OS to boot (is the pun
intended?) and the value of backups, well, obviously we agree there too.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
From: M.L. on

>> Get the DVD writer, you won't be sorry...
>
>I am seriously considering this but I'm a bit short of time as I am
>packing for a European jaunt and everything is last moment plus it would
>be nice not to carry more gear.

Yes, that extra 10 ounces of gear could really ruin your trip.
From: Death on
M.L. wrote:

>>> Get the DVD writer, you won't be sorry...
>>
>>I am seriously considering this but I'm a bit short of time as I am
>>packing for a European jaunt and everything is last moment plus it would
>>be nice not to carry more gear.
>
> Yes, that extra 10 ounces of gear could really ruin your trip.

That's why Death doesn't carry anything smaller than a $50.
Those $20's get heavy.
Airport bums will relieve you of the small bills.
Wad 'em up in a ball, and toss 'em, watch a drunken bum take a face
plant trying to fetch 'em.

--
Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur,
Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur.
From: felmon on
On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 20:59:49 -0500, M.L. wrote:

>>> Get the DVD writer, you won't be sorry...
>>
>>I am seriously considering this but I'm a bit short of time as I am
>>packing for a European jaunt and everything is last moment plus it would
>>be nice not to carry more gear.
>
> Yes, that extra 10 ounces of gear could really ruin your trip.

I'm glad you understand!

Felmon