From: AJL on
AJL <923(a)fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>I went for 1.7.3

That should read 1.3.7. Hope you didn't go looking for that
non-existant upgrade... ;)

From: BillW50 on
In news:ettb365eu7jdh9v52jstmalporj9l7ibdb(a)4ax.com,
AJL typed on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 10:01:35 -0700:
>> "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:
>
> Let me re-comment on an earlier post now that I've played with AsTray+
> awhile.

Ok, so you don't need me to comment on that one?

>> try looking for AsTray Plus v1.4beta. I believe that was the
>> last version anyway. And I believe AsTray Plus replaced AsTray2.
>
> I went for 1.7.3 as the AsTray author said that this was the more
> stable version on the 701 models. So far I've not had one hiccup and
> you can't get any more stable than that.

Never tried that 1.3.7 one. Yes I saw your later post. ;-)

>> As you can start it manually too. And you can exit from the system
>> tray.
>
> For now I put an AsTray+ shortcut in the Startup menu and disabled the
> old AsTray in startup. I haven't decided on the final configuration
> yet but I probably will keep both.

Yes I have both too, but I don't run either at startup. The original
AsTray (from Asus) has no close, so you have to kill it from the Task
Manager or something.

>> Heck I am running it right now in compressed (downscaling) at
>> 1024x600 and it looks good to me. I think it is worth it as you can
>> run it only when you want too anyway.
>
> Interesting that my AsTray+ has over 300 resolution combinations to
> choose from and 1024x600 is not one of them.

Oh ok, it is in the 1.40 beta.

>> So you like the native 800x480? Wow that one is the worst for me!
>
> So far the native resolution is still best for me. The print becomes
> fuzzy and even smaller at the larger resolutions. And on a 7" screen
> at native resolution, most print is already almost too small for my
> bionically enhanced plastic lens implants... ;)

Yes, but 800x480 is a really small desktop and some things just won't
fit. But 800x600 works for most things and the resolution is the same
and you just scroll 120 pixels up or down and that is all. Using AsTray+
you can compress (downscaling) it of you want too.

>> But sometimes it is easier to have a larger desktop. And
>> AsTray Plus is the way to go IMHO.
>
> Yes, when using a larger external monitor I could see where AsTray
> would be of great help.

Oh no, I mean on the 7 inch screen and having a large desktop. Using an
external monitor AsTray+ is worthless. Unless your external monitor is a
7 inch too or something really small.

>> Especially for those very wide webpages.
>
> That can be solved by using the browser zoom function. And the result
> looks the same to me as when I switch to a larger resolution. In both
> the print (and the whole page for that matter) becomes smaller and
> less clear.

Well there are a number of zooms. I am curious which one you are using?
Most browser you can change the text size is one way. Another way is
holding the CTRL key and use a scroll wheel on a mouse. But this zooms
everything.

>> And it is nice for having multiple windows opened like I am
>> doing right now too.
>
> I Dunno, those multiple windows don't do me much good if I can't read
> what's in them cause the print's too small. We are both still talking
> about a 7" screen aren't we...

Oh bummer! I am lucky in that department seen I can see 10x up close
what normal people need 10x magnifying ability to see. And my eyes
haven't changed for 35+ years now. My left eye can focus as close as 4
inches away. My right can't do that good and I'm not as near sighted in
the right eye (but it too is still near sighted).

So if the native resolution is pushing the limits for you, maybe AsTray+
might not be a good thing. Although you don't need to use the
compression part (downscaling), but just use it to quickly change
resolution with that quick thing that you have to add to the ini file
for the resolutions it supports and you use. But you have to scroll
through the desktop to use that part. And you might not like that
either.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

From: AJL on
"BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:

>Yes I have both too, but I don't run either at startup.

I've now set the Surf up to boot with the original AsTray. That way I
can use the 600x800 to scroll if I need to. I have both AsTray and
AsTray+ shortcuts in the Start menu so I can switch back and forth
easily if I want to play around with a particular screen.

>The original AsTray (from Asus) has no close,

Mine original Asus AsTray does. Its in the menu, bottom selection,
labeled 'Quit'.

>Well there are a number of zooms. I am curious which one you are using?

Control + + / Control + - or Ctrl + mouse wheel. If a web page
requires horizontal scrolling to read a paragraph I just zoom out to
fit the page to the screen. Looks exactly the same to me as if I
adjust the resolution to fit the page to the screen, extra distortion
and all.

>So if the native resolution is pushing the limits for you, maybe AsTray+
>might not be a good thing. Although you don't need to use the
>compression part (downscaling),

The whole reason I tried this was to avoid scrolling while using a
larger non-native resolution. I suspected that the distortion would be
worse and it was. It works for you, not so well for me...different
strokes. Anyway I thank you for putting me onto it, it has become an
interesting continuing experiment.

BTW I tried AsTray+ on my 1000HD and it works fine there too. But the
original AsTray already has compression available for the larger
resolution available (1024x768) so i already had my choice to scroll
or not to scroll... ;)
From: BillW50 on
In news:f8rc3614ph1fcr3o3nsp8948sscflnvt0q(a)4ax.com,
AJL typed on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 18:28:55 -0700:
> "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:
>
>> Yes I have both too, but I don't run either at startup.
>
> I've now set the Surf up to boot with the original AsTray. That way I
> can use the 600x800 to scroll if I need to. I have both AsTray and
> AsTray+ shortcuts in the Start menu so I can switch back and forth
> easily if I want to play around with a particular screen.

Yes I normally don't use either. But I just started to run AsTray Plus
at start again.

>> The original AsTray (from Asus) has no close,
>
> Mine original Asus AsTray does. Its in the menu, bottom selection,
> labeled 'Quit'.

Oh mine isn't like that. It has toggles for WLAN, Webcam, 800x480 or
800x600 (uncompressed) and external monitor resolutions. No quit, about
or anything. And you can do the same thing from Windows anyway, so I
don't see the point of this AsTray from Asus.

>> Well there are a number of zooms. I am curious which one you are
>> using?
>
> Control + + / Control + - or Ctrl + mouse wheel. If a web page
> requires horizontal scrolling to read a paragraph I just zoom out to
> fit the page to the screen. Looks exactly the same to me as if I
> adjust the resolution to fit the page to the screen, extra distortion
> and all.

Oh I didn't know about the CTRL++/- hotkeys. Well that isn't working
here for me under MS Word or IE6 on this netbook.

>> So if the native resolution is pushing the limits for you, maybe
>> AsTray+ might not be a good thing. Although you don't need to use the
>> compression part (downscaling),
>
> The whole reason I tried this was to avoid scrolling while using a
> larger non-native resolution. I suspected that the distortion would be
> worse and it was. It works for you, not so well for me...different
> strokes. Anyway I thank you for putting me onto it, it has become an
> interesting continuing experiment.

And the distortion is ok on your other Asus netbook? The highest
compression I can use with AsTray Plus is 1024x768.

> BTW I tried AsTray+ on my 1000HD and it works fine there too. But the
> original AsTray already has compression available for the larger
> resolution available (1024x768) so i already had my choice to scroll
> or not to scroll... ;)

It does? Wow.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

From: AJL on
"BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:

>And the [non-native] distortion is ok on your other Asus netbook?

The supplied AsTray utility in my Eee PC 1000HD offers three
resolutions. 800x600, 1024x600, and 1024x768. Native is 1024x600 and
looks great as you would expect. 1024x768 in scroll mode looks just as
good because it is displayed in native. But 800x600 and 1024x768 in
compressed mode really sucks IMO. I have yet to find a good reason to
use them.