From: AJL on
"BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:

>In news:i0vqhu$1ub$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
>BillW50 typed on Tue, 6 Jul 2010 12:47:07 -0500:
>> Our Intel video also allows higher resolutions compressed on our
>> smaller screens (I think some other manufactures allow this too
>> sometimes). And yes it works if the resolution isn't too big and no
>> scrolling around the desktop. But scrolling through documents or
>> webpages are slow. And small print is hard or impossible to read. So
>> I used it for awhile and I later gave this up. I believe it is a
>> third party Astray replacement called AsTray2 or something.
>
>Ok I fired up AsTray2 (you can't run both versions at the same time,
>just one or the other). And I can run compressed (no scrolling in the
>desktop) in the following modes:
>
>800x600
>900x540
>1024x600
>1024x768
>
>AsTray2 calls compressing as Downscaling. And any higher resolution goes
>back to non-compression and scrolling around the desktop. Regardless if
>you have Downscaling selected or not.
>
>You can edit an ini file and create a Quickswitch. Why the author didn't
>do this I have no idea. But once you create all of your favorite
>resolutions, you are all set. I think without Quickswitch, you have a
>list of every possible resolution and fresh rates. Which is a list of
>too many to quickly switch between.
>
>And I have no idea why AsTray2 does this (it claims it doesn't). But it
>always defaults to 800x480 from the start. And I hate that one. And this
>is what Linux uses too. And without any AsTray version, I have Windows
>using 800x600 and I just scroll up and down to see the whole desktop
>(thus why I stopped using AsTray2). And no compression (downscaling)
>either. As most of the time I am not interested in the top of a window
>anyway and I don't mind to scroll for the few times I want too.
>
>I am playing around with AsTray2 right now using compressed
>(downscaling) at 1024x768 once again and it isn't as bad as I remember
>it. And it is slower too than without downscaling, but not as bad as I
>remember. And the tiny text I can still read. Maybe it is the really
>tiny text I can't read. Or maybe my eyes are better now. lol

Oops, just saw this post as I was about to shut down. Will check this
out tomorrow too and see how I fare...

From: AJL on
AJL <923(a)fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>"BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:

>How do you get more resolution choices? I only have a choice of
>800x480 (native) and 800x600

Ah, figured it out.
Display props>settings>advanced>list all modes
Gets me 13 modes, all but the native mode scroll..

>>it is a third party Astray replacement called
>>AsTray2

I've found lots of references to AsTray2 but no source yet.
From: AJL on
AJL <923(a)fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>there are over 100,000 apps (many free and most under $5) in the Apple app
>store so a bit more choice of software than the Palms had.

I just read that there actually are over 250,000 apps in the app store
so I though I better correct my post in the interest of accuracy. I
haven't checked them all out yet though... ;)
From: BillW50 on
In news:ha383651m5e972g6o3i524edunpckcie17(a)4ax.com,
AJL typed on Tue, 06 Jul 2010 22:26:25 -0700:
> AJL <923(a)fakeaddress.com> wrote:
>
>> "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:
>
>> How do you get more resolution choices? I only have a choice of
>> 800x480 (native) and 800x600
>
> Ah, figured it out.
> Display props>settings>advanced>list all modes
> Gets me 13 modes, all but the native mode scroll..

Yes that is one way to do it.

>>> it is a third party Astray replacement called
>>> AsTray2
>
> I've found lots of references to AsTray2 but no source yet.

Oh sorry, try looking for AsTray Plus v1.4beta. I believe that was the
last version anyway. And I believe AsTray Plus replaced AsTray2.

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/astrayplus

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

From: BillW50 on
In news:4k8736dr4qqaq9d6bdhd1f95lkbp03g530(a)4ax.com,
AJL typed on Tue, 06 Jul 2010 15:54:15 -0700:
> "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:
>
>> which Windows Media Player version came with your SP3 install?
>
> WMP version 9.00.00.4503

Oh nice! I do have a retail version of Windows XP SP2 and I don't recall
what WMP that one has. As I use OEM versions of Windows XP SP2 and they
all have WMP v10. Which you cannot go back to WMP v9 with.

>> The newer ones I don't care much for.
>
> I don't use WMP much. I use the VLC media player. But I'm not going to
> upgrade anything that came on this XP version (and works ok) on the
> theory that newer is bigger, drive space being at a premium.

VLC is pretty nice, but I use a multimedia keyboard a lot and use pause
and play a lot. And only WMP works with multimedia keyboards. Why I
don't know?

>> yours [Surf's SSD] I am sure is a SLC type.
>
> Of course, this being the elcheapo the bare bones model. The SSD is
> soldered in saving the price of a socket. BTW the cache is disabled
> also which makes things even slower. I'm not sure that was done to be
> cheaper or to make the more expensive models (like yours) run faster
> in comparison.

Oh I didn't know your cache is disabled.

>> Yes booting up is fast enough. Although what I like better is just
>> using standby.
>
> I would prefer waiting the extra half minute or so to boot and arrive
> with a full battery.

I would normally too. But when I am out I use my netbook like a Palm. As
I turn it on for a few seconds typing or checking on something and then
put it back in standby again a lot.

>> I have six EeePC batteries and I usually take two with me
>> during the day.
>
> That kind of ruins the reason for carrying a tiny netbook does't it?

Well that one 10440mah battery has enough power to get me through the
whole day alone. But since I don't carry the AC adapter with me anymore,
I carry a spare battery instead, just in case. The batteries are pretty
light and small anyway.

>> Are you talking about using the Flash Player within a browser?
>
> Yes. It chops mostly when internet streaming. Local video file
> playback is ok.

Some websites use WMP instead Flash within a browser. And the CPU usage
is much lower than Flash. I have no idea why users are not jumping all
over Adobe for creating such a CPU hog?

>> That is the worst CPU hogging player I ever have seen!
>
> Yes, with a faster CPU it could likely handle it. Or maybe just a
> better hardware/software design. My new iPod seems to handle video
> streaming just fine on a 300MHz processor.

Does that use Flash too? Or some other player? Or does Adobe make a
special low CPU use Flash for the iPod?

>> So how is the iPod for typing?
>
> Terrible. It's a pain just to type a URL. This is a capacitive screen
> (the TX was resistive) that uses no stylus. So you have to type with
> your fat thumbs on the 3.5" screen. (The screen won't even react to a
> stylus push, it needs your body capacitance to sense a push.) The
> software is pretty good at guessing what you want but still it
> requires a lot of concentration. Fortunately I don't need to do a lot
> of typing. Bookmarks are a blessing... ;)

Oh I wouldn't like that very much.

>> sure liked my folding keyboard for my Palm IIIc and IIIxe.
>
> I don't know if keyboards are available for the iPod but probably. Its
> a popular gadget and can run the same software as an iPhone. And there
> are over 100,000 apps (many free and most under $5) in the Apple app
> store so a bit more choice of software than the Palms had. (One of my
> favorite free apps is called BJ, it's 75 blond jokes, very popular
> with my grandkids...except for the blonds... ;)

Oh nice!

>> So what does all of yours look like for running and
>> standby times?
>
> Course running time depends on what you're doing. Video is rough on
> batteries. But I mostly surf, email, Usenet, and read ebooks. I
> figured about 5 hours on the TX and 8 hours on the iPod. But that is
> an estimate since I seldom let the battery run lower than 75% (about 2
> hours on the iPod) in keeping with treating my Li-ion battery well.
> I'm not sure on standby time as I charge it often (75% rule).

Sounds good to me. ;-)