From: AJL on
"BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:

>try looking for AsTray Plus v1.4beta. I believe that was the
>last version anyway. And I believe AsTray Plus replaced AsTray2.
>
>http://wiki.eeeuser.com/astrayplus

Thanks, that was the site I was looking at yesterday. After reading
many of the posts there today I think I will pass on this utility.
After messing with some of the other resolutions I think that the
native resolution is the best for my use (as it usually is) on this
little 7" screen. What I really needed (that started this inquiry) was
a way to move too large off screen windows around to get at the ok
button and you already supplied that trick.
From: BillW50 on
In news:q1u9365f5n6e0t2deghrvnqdo8ksuvjp63(a)4ax.com,
AJL typed on Wed, 07 Jul 2010 15:09:59 -0700:
> "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:
>
>> try looking for AsTray Plus v1.4beta. I believe that was the
>> last version anyway. And I believe AsTray Plus replaced AsTray2.
>>
>> http://wiki.eeeuser.com/astrayplus
>
> Thanks, that was the site I was looking at yesterday. After reading
> many of the posts there today I think I will pass on this utility.
> After messing with some of the other resolutions I think that the
> native resolution is the best for my use (as it usually is) on this
> little 7" screen. What I really needed (that started this inquiry) was
> a way to move too large off screen windows around to get at the ok
> button and you already supplied that trick.

Really? I am sure there is page after page about it in the forum. But
can you sum up what you had learned in a sentence or two?

And I don't see the big deal. It is so small it doesn't take up any
room. And you don't have to run it at boot either. As you can start it
manually too. And you can exit from the system tray. So it is there when
you need it and not there when you don't. That is how I use it anyway.

Heck I am running it right now in compressed (downscaling) at 1024x600
and it looks good to me. I think it is worth it as you can run it only
when you want too anyway.

So you like the native 800x480? Wow that one is the worst for me! As I
use 800x600 scrollable the most (I wish Linux offered this res on the
EeePC 7 inch). But sometimes it is easier to have a larger desktop. And
AsTray Plus is the way to go IMHO. Especially for those very wide
webpages. And it is nice for having multiple windows opened like I am
doing right now too. I dunno, I would rethink about this one.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

From: AJL on
"BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:

>In news:q1u9365f5n6e0t2deghrvnqdo8ksuvjp63(a)4ax.com,
>AJL typed on Wed, 07 Jul 2010 15:09:59 -0700:
>> "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:
>>
>>> try looking for AsTray Plus v1.4beta. I believe that was the
>>> last version anyway. And I believe AsTray Plus replaced AsTray2.
>>>
>>> http://wiki.eeeuser.com/astrayplus
>>
>> Thanks, that was the site I was looking at yesterday. After reading
>> many of the posts there today I think I will pass on this utility.
>> After messing with some of the other resolutions I think that the
>> native resolution is the best for my use (as it usually is) on this
>> little 7" screen. What I really needed (that started this inquiry) was
>> a way to move too large off screen windows around to get at the ok
>> button and you already supplied that trick.
>
>Really? I am sure there is page after page about it in the forum. But
>can you sum up what you had learned in a sentence or two?

Mostly instability problems, and one guy who apparently damaged his XP
to the point of a reinstall. Course it could be op error and not the
utility. There's around 45 pages there and I don't remember exactly
all the specific problems cause I skimmed most of it. Just a general
bad feeling, like did I really want to mess with it... ;)

>And I don't see the big deal. It is so small it doesn't take up any
>room. And you don't have to run it at boot either. As you can start it
>manually too. And you can exit from the system tray. So it is there when
>you need it and not there when you don't. That is how I use it anyway.

Yes it would be easy to try, just disable the current utility from
startup. I use a free utility called Startup Cop Pro that keeps an eye
on what's being put in the registry. (Sneaky apps like Google Chrome
try to slip stuff in there.) It also has an easy way to disable
startups. (Even easier than msconfig.)

>Heck I am running it right now in compressed (downscaling) at 1024x600
>and it looks good to me. I think it is worth it as you can run it only
>when you want too anyway.

Admittedly I couldn't try 'downscaling'. by just changing the
resolution. I really didn't like the scrolling so maybe I will like
the larger resolution better if it doesn't scroll.

>So you like the native 800x480? Wow that one is the worst for me!

Well one part I didn't like with native res was when a webpage hung
over the screen edge and I had to scroll left and right to read a
paragraph. But I found that I could just use the browser zoom function
and the problem was solved with just a few key presses.

>As I
>use 800x600 scrollable the most (I wish Linux offered this res on the
>EeePC 7 inch). But sometimes it is easier to have a larger desktop. And
>AsTray Plus is the way to go IMHO. Especially for those very wide
>webpages. And it is nice for having multiple windows opened like I am
>doing right now too. I dunno, I would rethink about this one.

Ok, you talked me into it. Apparently from the discussion on the forum
some versions are more stable than others on the 701 series which is
probably the closest to mine (700). So which version are you using and
I will try and find it, or if you know where it is please point... ;)

From: AJL on
AJL <923(a)fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>"BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:

>I dunno, I would rethink about this one. [Installing AsTray]

>you talked me into it....I will try and find it...

OK, I found it and have it working on my 2G Surf. As I suspected it is
a bit fuzzy on all but the native resolution. But I will use it awhile
before voicing my exalted opinion... ;)
From: AJL on
>"BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:

Let me re-comment on an earlier post now that I've played with AsTray+
awhile.

> try looking for AsTray Plus v1.4beta. I believe that was the
> last version anyway. And I believe AsTray Plus replaced AsTray2.

I went for 1.7.3 as the AsTray author said that this was the more
stable version on the 701 models. So far I've not had one hiccup and
you can't get any more stable than that.

>As you can start it manually too. And you can exit from the system tray.

For now I put an AsTray+ shortcut in the Startup menu and disabled the
old AsTray in startup. I haven't decided on the final configuration
yet but I probably will keep both.

>Heck I am running it right now in compressed (downscaling) at 1024x600
>and it looks good to me. I think it is worth it as you can run it only
>when you want too anyway.

Interesting that my AsTray+ has over 300 resolution combinations to
choose from and 1024x600 is not one of them.

>So you like the native 800x480? Wow that one is the worst for me!

So far the native resolution is still best for me. The print becomes
fuzzy and even smaller at the larger resolutions. And on a 7" screen
at native resolution, most print is already almost too small for my
bionically enhanced plastic lens implants... ;)

>But sometimes it is easier to have a larger desktop. And
>AsTray Plus is the way to go IMHO.

Yes, when using a larger external monitor I could see where AsTray
would be of great help.

>Especially for those very wide webpages.

That can be solved by using the browser zoom function. And the result
looks the same to me as when I switch to a larger resolution. In both
the print (and the whole page for that matter) becomes smaller and
less clear.

>And it is nice for having multiple windows opened like I am
>doing right now too.

I Dunno, those multiple windows don't do me much good if I can't read
what's in them cause the print's too small. We are both still talking
about a 7" screen aren't we...