From: felmon on
greets!

just got a Samsung N150 Plus netbook with Windows 7 Starter.

I wanted to back up the Windows recovery partition to be able to re-
install it if it gets corrupted or if I remove it.

what is a good way to back it up with an eye on certainty and ease of
reinstallation?

the N150 doesn't have a dvd. I suppose I could purchase an external one
and will do so if that is necessary or if other methods are terribly
complex or uncertain but would rather avoid that.

I have tried googling around but so far I haven't stumbled on anything
useful.

felmon
From: Parko on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 02:03:11 -0500, felmon wrote:

> greets!
>
> just got a Samsung N150 Plus netbook with Windows 7 Starter.
>
> I wanted to back up the Windows recovery partition to be able to re-
> install it if it gets corrupted or if I remove it.
>
> what is a good way to back it up with an eye on certainty and ease of
> reinstallation?
>
> the N150 doesn't have a dvd. I suppose I could purchase an external one
> and will do so if that is necessary or if other methods are terribly
> complex or uncertain but would rather avoid that.
>
> I have tried googling around but so far I haven't stumbled on anything
> useful.
>
> felmon

Clonezilla installs onto a USB flash drive
http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/
You may need to use gparted to unhide the recovery partition. Installs to
a USB flash drive too
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
This assumes, of course, that the Samsung N150 Plus netbook will boot off
a USB drive

--
Where's the cursor?
Where's the eraser?
From: felmon on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:27:20 +0000, Parko wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 02:03:11 -0500, felmon wrote:
>
>> greets!
>>
>> just got a Samsung N150 Plus netbook with Windows 7 Starter.
>>
>> I wanted to back up the Windows recovery partition to be able to re-
>> install it if it gets corrupted or if I remove it.
>>
>> what is a good way to back it up with an eye on certainty and ease of
>> reinstallation?
>>
>> the N150 doesn't have a dvd. I suppose I could purchase an external one
>> and will do so if that is necessary or if other methods are terribly
>> complex or uncertain but would rather avoid that.
>>
>> I have tried googling around but so far I haven't stumbled on anything
>> useful.
>>
>> felmon
>
> Clonezilla installs onto a USB flash drive
> http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/ You may need to use gparted to
> unhide the recovery partition. Installs to a USB flash drive too
> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php This assumes, of course, that
> the Samsung N150 Plus netbook will boot off a USB drive

very nice!

I will give it a try later today. I have clonezilla on a dvd but hadn't
used it much so I forgot about it.

the netbook does boot off a usb drive.

gparted shows all the partitions, no problem.

thank you!

Felmon
From: AJL on
felmon <nemo(a)nowhere.INVALID> wrote:

>just got a Samsung N150 Plus netbook with Windows 7 Starter.

>I wanted to back up the Windows recovery partition to be able to re-
>install it if it gets corrupted or if I remove it.

>the N150 doesn't have a dvd. I suppose I could purchase an external one
>and will do so if that is necessary or if other methods are terribly
>complex or uncertain but would rather avoid that.

Buy the self powered DVD. They're very cheap, my local Target store
has em for under US$70. Very small and handy. I not only use mine for
my netbooks but it's also handy for DVD to DVD copies using my larger
laptops that have a built in DVD.
From: Gene E. Bloch on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 02:03:11 -0500, felmon wrote:

> greets!
>
> just got a Samsung N150 Plus netbook with Windows 7 Starter.
>
> I wanted to back up the Windows recovery partition to be able to re-
> install it if it gets corrupted or if I remove it.
>
> what is a good way to back it up with an eye on certainty and ease of
> reinstallation?
>
> the N150 doesn't have a dvd. I suppose I could purchase an external one
> and will do so if that is necessary or if other methods are terribly
> complex or uncertain but would rather avoid that.
>
> I have tried googling around but so far I haven't stumbled on anything
> useful.
>
> felmon

Ask the manufacturer to send you a restore disc.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)