From: John McWilliams on
Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2010 12:41:36 +0200, Mxsmanic <mxsmanic(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Bruce writes:
>>> Of course some people will. Otherwise, why would Nikon pay Aston
>>> Kutcher to get involved?

>> Because it incorrectly believes that a celebrity endorsement will help sell
>> cameras?

> You seem to be stating the obvious.

Except it is correct to believe that celebrity involvement in ads sells
cameras, cars, expensive wines as well as booze, scents, computers,
whatever.

>> Have you ever bought anything because a celebrity endorsed it?
>
> Not knowingly. But I might have.

We all may have. But few because of it- that is, few if any in this NG.
A few in spite of 'endorsement'.

Finally, the one ad I've seen just shows Kutcher using one- an implied
endorsement? - but most see ads for what they are- attention catching,
re-embedding the logo, and sometimes providing useful info.

--
john mcwilliams
From: Bowser on

"Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Bruce writes:
>
>> Of course some people will. Otherwise, why would Nikon pay Aston
>> Kutcher to get involved?
>
> Because it incorrectly believes that a celebrity endorsement will help
> sell
> cameras?
>
> Have you ever bought anything because a celebrity endorsed it?

Not since my utter disappointment in the John C Holmes signature series
condoms.

From: whisky-dave on

"Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Bruce writes:
>
>> Of course some people will. Otherwise, why would Nikon pay Aston
>> Kutcher to get involved?
>
> Because it incorrectly believes that a celebrity endorsement will help
> sell
> cameras?

They help sell most products, why not cameras ?

> Have you ever bought anything because a celebrity endorsed it?

I probably have, but not purely because of a celebrity endorsement.

the only Photographer I remember endorsing cameras was
David Bailey and I think the block from minder plugging
the Olympus Trip, never brought one myself but they seemed quite successful.
I wonder what camera reviews of the time though about this endorsement.

From: John McWilliams on
whisky-dave wrote:
> "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Bruce writes:
>>
>>> Of course some people will. Otherwise, why would Nikon pay Aston
>>> Kutcher to get involved?
>> Because it incorrectly believes that a celebrity endorsement will help
>> sell
>> cameras?
>
> They help sell most products, why not cameras ?
>

>> Have you ever bought anything because a celebrity endorsed it?
>
> I probably have, but not purely because of a celebrity endorsement.
>
> the only Photographer I remember endorsing cameras was
> David Bailey and I think the block from minder plugging
> the Olympus Trip, never brought one myself but they seemed quite successful.
> I wonder what camera reviews of the time though about this endorsement.

Just to be clear, a top photographer is only infrequently a "celebrity",
and then only in recherché circles.

OMG, I mean, Britney S, was, maybe still is, a celebrity. Kids who win
at talent shows instantly become celebrities as it's used these days.
Being one means diddly-squat.

--
john mcwilliams

From: ray on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 22:08:00 -0700, Rich wrote:

> Then you are an idiot.
>
> http://www.nikoncircular.com/

Not familiar with the gentleman - is he a camera expert?