From: Mxsmanic on
D.J. writes:

> The next time that you're in a remote ravine, on foot, 70 miles from the
> nearest pavement, and happen upon a new fungus that is slowly moving across
> a log at the rate of 1-inch per hour; I hope you'll have remembered to
> bring a laptop, hefty backup batteries, and required software along with
> you if you plan on documenting its life-cycle in focus-stacked and HDR
> stacked time-lapse frames. Thus astounding all those that have never seen
> such a life-form before with its remarkable beauty and symmetries in the
> glowing light of the forest. I'll just press a few buttons on my CHDK
> camera and make a few menu selections instead.

The next time I'm in a situation like that, I'll just shoot film.
From: Bruce on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 20:49:14 +0200, Mxsmanic <mxsmanic(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
>whisky-dave writes:
>
>> A Tsunami wave worth more than Apple and M$ put together.
>
>That's what people thought about Netscape.

And Yahoo! And AOL.

From: Peter on
"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 20:49:14 +0200, Mxsmanic <mxsmanic(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>whisky-dave writes:
>>
>>> A Tsunami wave worth more than Apple and M$ put together.
>>
>>That's what people thought about Netscape.
>

> And Yahoo! And AOL.

Didn't know you were also a skilled business analyst. But in fairness to
you, your hindsight is 100%, except when you forget, or misapply your
history.

--
Peter

From: John Navas on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 21:17:58 +0100, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote
in <1f0rv5lqtn8f6ru7sum9af7hrakpabgkc9(a)4ax.com>:

>On Wed, 26 May 2010 20:49:14 +0200, Mxsmanic <mxsmanic(a)gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>whisky-dave writes:
>>
>>> A Tsunami wave worth more than Apple and M$ put together.
>>
>>That's what people thought about Netscape.
>
>And Yahoo! And AOL.

Many people, but not all people. For example, there were quite a few of
us saying the AOL-Time Warner deal was stupid from the very beginning.
Google is in a different class entirely, as is Steve Jobs (not Apple),
not perfect, but very very good, and able to learn from mistakes.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: SMS on
On 26/05/10 10:00 AM, George Kerby wrote:

> On 5/26/10 11:23 AM, in article iiiqv513b1es73v1l0107d10viefcctne5(a)4ax.com,
> "John Navas"<jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 May 2010 09:49:22 -0400, "J. Clarke"<jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net>
>> wrote in<htj9h7011rv(a)news1.newsguy.com>:

>>> Microsoft's income is more than twice Google's. Apple's is about half
>>> again Google's.
>>>
>>> As for Google being "one of the biggest businesses on the planet",
>>> Microsoft is 119 on the list of businesses with more than 40 billion
>>> revenue. Google doesn't even get on the list. Toyota is ten times the
>>> size of Google and it's not even the biggest.
>>>
>>> You people really should fact-check before you spout off this kind of
>>> nonsense.
>>
>> Market caps:
>> Apple (AAPL): 227.43B
>> Google (GOOG): 154.37B
>> Microsoft (MSFT): 228.47B
>>
>> Interesting that Apple and Microsoft are now essentially dead even.
>
> Your bullshit is showing - again!

Market cap is pretty meaningless without the P/E ratio. Apple has a P/E
ratio of about 24, MST about 13. Microsoft has far higher earnings and
far higher gross margins.

But who knows. Maybe Apple will get into the O/S business with its very
high margins, maybe they'll release a Verizon iPhone, and maybe they'll
enter other market segments and their earnings will go up so the P/E
becomes more realistic.

I once worked for a start-up where we had a market cap of $4 billion
after going public and never had any earnings so we essentially had an
infinite P/E ratio. Personally I think that the U.S. should adopt rules
similar to what they have in Taiwan where you have to have a certain
number of consecutive profitable quarters before you can do an IPO.
Unfortunately we could not sell our stock until six months after the IPO
and by then the market realized that our very large competitor would do
anything to kill us, including paying our customers to cancel designs
they had done with our parts.