From: Mxsmanic on
John Navas writes:

> Evidence is mounting that BP cut corners in haste to move the rig to
> another drill site.

Some countries put corporate officers in prison for decisions like that.
From: Mxsmanic on
John Navas writes:

> IBM has actually been doing quite well, and it's certainly not clear
> that Watson would have done any better.

But it was the only game in town at one time, and the best place to work as
well.

> HP has rebounded nicely now that she's gone, recently passing IBM as
> server king.

I haven't used their hardware in a while. At one time, it was second to none
(Compaq was very popular at one time, but Compaq loved weirdness whereas HP
was always quite conservative). I don't know if it's any good today. I'd like
to think so.

From: John Navas on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 00:45:43 +0200, Mxsmanic <mxsmanic(a)gmail.com> wrote
in <cfttv59pfrsqjh13sg3eb9tdn3vip27b19(a)4ax.com>:

>John Navas writes:
>
>> Evidence is mounting that BP cut corners in haste to move the rig to
>> another drill site.
>
>Some countries put corporate officers in prison for decisions like that.

We'll probably just slap them on the wrist and then turn a blind eye to
the next big bonus. [sigh]

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: John McWilliams on
Mxsmanic wrote:
> John McWilliams writes:
>
>> Did IBM crash after Tom Watson retired?
>
> It has never recaptured the glory deads of Watson.
>
>> H-P after Messr's Hewlett and Packard?
>
> Carly Fiorina pretty much destroyed HP.

You're picking two examples out of a handful, and it's not a given that
IBM still isn't a top company; same with H-P esp with Fiorina out.

More to the point, John Navas gave a much more exhaustive list.... how
come no refutation of that bunch, or the other companies on mine?

--
john mcwilliams
From: J. Clarke on
On 5/27/2010 7:50 PM, John McWilliams wrote:
> Mxsmanic wrote:
>> John McWilliams writes:
>>
>>> Did IBM crash after Tom Watson retired?
>>
>> It has never recaptured the glory deads of Watson.
>>
>>> H-P after Messr's Hewlett and Packard?
>>
>> Carly Fiorina pretty much destroyed HP.
>
> You're picking two examples out of a handful, and it's not a given that
> IBM still isn't a top company; same with H-P esp with Fiorina out.

Interesting that a "destroyed" HP has revenues 20 billion or so greater
than the "never recaptured the glory days" IBM, that has revenues
greater than visionary-led Apple and until-recently-visionary-led
Microsoft combined.

Further, the "destroyed" HP has about 5 times the revenues that it ever
had when Hewlett or Packard was in charge, and "never recaptured the
glory days IBM" more than doubled its revenues in the ten years after
Tom Watson Junior died and now has revenues more than ten times what it
ever had with a Watson at the helm.