From: John McWilliams on
J. Clarke wrote:
> On 5/27/2010 7:50 PM, John McWilliams wrote:
>> Mxsmanic wrote:

>>> It has never recaptured the glory deads of Watson.

>>> Carly Fiorina pretty much destroyed HP.
>>
>> You're picking two examples out of a handful, and it's not a given that
>> IBM still isn't a top company; same with H-P esp with Fiorina out.
>
> Interesting that a "destroyed" HP has revenues 20 billion or so greater
> than the "never recaptured the glory days" IBM, that has revenues
> greater than visionary-led Apple and until-recently-visionary-led
> Microsoft combined.
>
> Further, the "destroyed" HP has about 5 times the revenues that it ever
> had when Hewlett or Packard was in charge, and "never recaptured the
> glory days IBM" more than doubled its revenues in the ten years after
> Tom Watson Junior died and now has revenues more than ten times what it
> ever had with a Watson at the helm.

Well cited, John; nothing like a few facts!

--
john mcwilliams
From: Mxsmanic on
J. Clarke writes:

> Interesting that a "destroyed" HP has revenues 20 billion or so greater
> than the "never recaptured the glory days" IBM, that has revenues
> greater than visionary-led Apple and until-recently-visionary-led
> Microsoft combined.

There's a lot more to a company than money.

> Further, the "destroyed" HP has about 5 times the revenues that it ever
> had when Hewlett or Packard was in charge, and "never recaptured the
> glory days IBM" more than doubled its revenues in the ten years after
> Tom Watson Junior died and now has revenues more than ten times what it
> ever had with a Watson at the helm.

See above.
From: Peter on
"Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> I haven't used their hardware in a while. At one time, it was second to
> none
> (Compaq was very popular at one time, but Compaq loved weirdness whereas
> HP
> was always quite conservative). I don't know if it's any good today. I'd
> like
> to think so.

FWIIW
I recently got an HP with the i7 processor and 8g memory. Running under Win
7, PS3 had some issues. After I upgraded to PS5, all issues disappeared.
Runs fast and smooth. Display is crisp. Couldn't ask for more. My only
complaint is that the offshore support sucks. I have little patience for
people acting like incoherent robots and reading from a check list, while
wasting a lot of time. they do not answer my question until I finally get a
supervisor to talk to me. To solve that issue, I try to call during US
business hours and insist on US support.

--
Peter

From: John Navas on
On Thu, 27 May 2010 22:51:58 -0700, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net>
wrote in <htnllu$ftn$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>:

>J. Clarke wrote:

>> Interesting that a "destroyed" HP has revenues 20 billion or so greater
>> than the "never recaptured the glory days" IBM, that has revenues
>> greater than visionary-led Apple and until-recently-visionary-led
>> Microsoft combined.
>>
>> Further, the "destroyed" HP has about 5 times the revenues that it ever
>> had when Hewlett or Packard was in charge, and "never recaptured the
>> glory days IBM" more than doubled its revenues in the ten years after
>> Tom Watson Junior died and now has revenues more than ten times what it
>> ever had with a Watson at the helm.
>
>Well cited, John; nothing like a few facts!

Except this is Usenet, where actual facts are off-topic. ;)

"Facts? We ain't got no facts. We don't need no facts. I don't have to
show you any stinking facts!" [with apologies to John Huston]

Now back to our usual flaming and bashing and misrepresenting and
guessing and mything and legending ... oh my!

--
Best regards,
John

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,
difficult to redirect, awe inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind
boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." --Gene Spafford
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 09:42:31 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in
<4bffc8fe$0$5496$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>:

>FWIIW
>I recently got an HP with the i7 processor and 8g memory. Running under Win
>7, PS3 had some issues. After I upgraded to PS5, all issues disappeared.
>Runs fast and smooth. Display is crisp. Couldn't ask for more. My only
>complaint is that the offshore support sucks. I have little patience for
>people acting like incoherent robots and reading from a check list, while
>wasting a lot of time. they do not answer my question until I finally get a
>supervisor to talk to me. To solve that issue, I try to call during US
>business hours and insist on US support.

HP would be my 2nd choice. My 1st choice is still the Lenovo ThinkPad
T-series. Can't say enough good things about them, including support
still based in the USA as it was when IBM owned the brand.

(Unfortunately my T61 was stolen last weekend, and I'm having a tough
time finding a suitable replacement given how long the T61 has been out
of production. All the thieves got was parts -- the machine and
encrypting hard disk are secured with robust passwords.)

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams