From: whisky-dave on

"Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> whisky-dave writes:
>
>> Google is one of the biggest businesses on the planet does it sell
>> products
>> or services, does it manufacture anything ?
>
> It's just riding a wave.

A Tsunami wave worth more than Apple and M$ put together.

From: Bruce on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 13:32:26 +0100, "whisky-dave"
<whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
>"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> David Bailey only became a celebrity through his marriage to the
>> supermodel Marie Helvin.
>>
>> That increased his fame far more than photography ever could.
>
>A celebrate to who ?
>This is when I first saw him as a 'celebrity'
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Yo3FRPeQw
>
> Nothing to do with his misses otherwise she'd had appeared in the ads
>I didnlt even know he was married.

You would probably never have known who Bailey was if it hadn't been
for his second and (especially) third marriages, which gained him
widespread publicity. His second wife was to the French actress
Catherine Deneuve, which certainly helped his career. His third
marriage was to the US supermodel Marie Helvin.

Until his marriage to Deneuve he was one of many fashion photographers
in London. One of the better ones, perhaps. He was well known in
that industry but not at all well known outside.

However, it was his 1975 marriage to the very well known Helvin that
turned him into a 'real' celebrity, a fact that got him the lucrative
and enduring deal with Olympus that started several years later.

That you don't appear to know who any of these people are, or that
Bailey was ever married (four times, in fact) is really neither here
nor there. ;-)

From: J. Clarke on
On 5/26/2010 8:32 AM, whisky-dave wrote:
> "Mxsmanic"<mxsmanic(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> whisky-dave writes:
>>
>>> Google is one of the biggest businesses on the planet does it sell
>>> products
>>> or services, does it manufacture anything ?
>>
>> It's just riding a wave.
>
> A Tsunami wave worth more than Apple and M$ put together.

Microsoft's income is more than twice Google's. Apple's is about half
again Google's.

As for Google being "one of the biggest businesses on the planet",
Microsoft is 119 on the list of businesses with more than 40 billion
revenue. Google doesn't even get on the list. Toyota is ten times the
size of Google and it's not even the biggest.

You people really should fact-check before you spout off this kind of
nonsense.
From: John Navas on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 09:49:22 -0400, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net>
wrote in <htj9h7011rv(a)news1.newsguy.com>:

>On 5/26/2010 8:32 AM, whisky-dave wrote:

>> A Tsunami wave worth more than Apple and M$ put together.
>
>Microsoft's income is more than twice Google's. Apple's is about half
>again Google's.
>
>As for Google being "one of the biggest businesses on the planet",
>Microsoft is 119 on the list of businesses with more than 40 billion
>revenue. Google doesn't even get on the list. Toyota is ten times the
>size of Google and it's not even the biggest.
>
>You people really should fact-check before you spout off this kind of
>nonsense.

Market caps:
Apple (AAPL): 227.43B
Google (GOOG): 154.37B
Microsoft (MSFT): 228.47B

Interesting that Apple and Microsoft are now essentially dead even.
--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: Mxsmanic on
whisky-dave writes:

> A Tsunami wave worth more than Apple and M$ put together.

That's what people thought about Netscape.