From: Peter on
"John Navas" <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 May 2010 09:42:31 -0400, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in
> <4bffc8fe$0$5496$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>:
>
>>FWIIW
>>I recently got an HP with the i7 processor and 8g memory. Running under
>>Win
>>7, PS3 had some issues. After I upgraded to PS5, all issues disappeared.
>>Runs fast and smooth. Display is crisp. Couldn't ask for more. My only
>>complaint is that the offshore support sucks. I have little patience for
>>people acting like incoherent robots and reading from a check list, while
>>wasting a lot of time. they do not answer my question until I finally get
>>supervisor to talk to me. To solve that issue, I try to call during US
>>business hours and insist on US support.
>
> HP would be my 2nd choice. My 1st choice is still the Lenovo ThinkPad
> T-series. Can't say enough good things about them, including support
> still based in the USA as it was when IBM owned the brand.
>
> (Unfortunately my T61 was stolen last weekend, and I'm having a tough
> time finding a suitable replacement given how long the T61 has been out
> of production. All the thieves got was parts -- the machine and
> encrypting hard disk are secured with robust passwords.)

I have a ThinkPad T77. It's fine for some work. But as far as photo
processing is concerned, it's good only for rough editing. The monitor is
not that accurate, cannot be accurately calibrated and is too small.

--
Peter

From: SMS on
On 28/05/10 6:42 AM, Peter wrote:

> I recently got an HP with the i7 processor and 8g memory. Running under
> Win 7, PS3 had some issues. After I upgraded to PS5, all issues
> disappeared. Runs fast and smooth. Display is crisp. Couldn't ask for
> more. My only complaint is that the offshore support sucks. I have
> little patience for people acting like incoherent robots and reading
> from a check list, while wasting a lot of time. they do not answer my
> question until I finally get a supervisor to talk to me. To solve that
> issue, I try to call during US business hours and insist on US support.

One thing to try with HP support is to select the choice for Spanish.
The tech support people that speak Spanish are based in the U.S., and
also speak English. There's no guarantee that the quality of support
will be better, but I've found it to be better.

I need to get a machine with an i7 processor as well. Which model did
you get?
From: Peter on
"SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message
> On 28/05/10 6:42 AM, Peter wrote:
>
>> I recently got an HP with the i7 processor and 8g memory. Running under
>> Win 7, PS3 had some issues. After I upgraded to PS5, all issues
>> disappeared. Runs fast and smooth. Display is crisp. Couldn't ask for
>> more. My only complaint is that the offshore support sucks. I have
>> little patience for people acting like incoherent robots and reading
>> from a check list, while wasting a lot of time. they do not answer my
>> question until I finally get a supervisor to talk to me. To solve that
>> issue, I try to call during US business hours and insist on US support.
>
> One thing to try with HP support is to select the choice for Spanish. The
> tech support people that speak Spanish are based in the U.S., and also
> speak English. There's no guarantee that the quality of support will be
> better, but I've found it to be better.

Thanks for the tip.

> I need to get a machine with an i7 processor as well. Which model did you
> get?

Pavilion Elite model 9270f. I got mine from Microcenter. It may be a special
configuration for MIcrocenter. I had them add my old drive so I have 2 1 tb
internal drives.

--
Peter

From: John Navas on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 13:39:53 -0400, "Peter"
<4c000003$0$5541$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>:

>"John Navas" <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>> HP would be my 2nd choice. My 1st choice is still the Lenovo ThinkPad
>> T-series. Can't say enough good things about them, including support
>> still based in the USA as it was when IBM owned the brand.

>I have a ThinkPad T77. It's fine for some work. But as far as photo
>processing is concerned, it's good only for rough editing. The monitor is
>not that accurate, cannot be accurately calibrated and is too small.

AFAIK there is no ThinkPad T77 -- what is it?
Did you mean Intel T7700 processor?
Which display do you have?
The IPS display is best for critical work, but is hard to find.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: Peter on
> On Fri, 28 May 2010 13:39:53 -0400, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in
> <4c000003$0$5541$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>:
>
>>"John Navas" <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>
>>> HP would be my 2nd choice. My 1st choice is still the Lenovo ThinkPad
>>> T-series. Can't say enough good things about them, including support
>>> still based in the USA as it was when IBM owned the brand.
>
>>I have a ThinkPad T77. It's fine for some work. But as far as photo
>>processing is concerned, it's good only for rough editing. The monitor is
>>not that accurate, cannot be accurately calibrated and is too small.
>
> AFAIK there is no ThinkPad T77 -- what is it?
> Did you mean Intel T7700 processor?
> Which display do you have?
> The IPS display is best for critical work, but is hard to find.

Yes its a T7700 processor, model 6459-CTO. I have no idea what display.
It's a laptop.

--
Peter