From: Mxsmanic on
David J Taylor writes:

> Mr Canon? Mr Nikon? But perhaps true about Mr Sony.

Sony has been going downhill since Akio Morita died. Canon and Nikon have
never had the superstar status that Sony had for a time, but I don't know who
started these latter two companies. There's always a founder somewhere, but he
or she isn't necessarily a visionary.
From: whisky-dave on

"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 13:32:26 +0100, "whisky-dave"
> <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
>>"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> David Bailey only became a celebrity through his marriage to the
>>> supermodel Marie Helvin.
>>>
>>> That increased his fame far more than photography ever could.
>>
>>A celebrate to who ?
>>This is when I first saw him as a 'celebrity'
>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Yo3FRPeQw
>>
>> Nothing to do with his misses otherwise she'd had appeared in the ads
>>I didnlt even know he was married.
>

> You would probably never have known who Bailey was if it hadn't been
> for his second and (especially) third marriages, which gained him
> widespread publicity. His second wife was to the French actress
> Catherine Deneuve, which certainly helped his career. His third
> marriage was to the US supermodel Marie Helvin.

What makes you think I would have heard of him because of who he married.
You got that totally wrong.

> Until his marriage to Deneuve he was one of many fashion photographers
> in London. One of the better ones, perhaps. He was well known in
> that industry but not at all well known outside.
That's goes with a lot in 'industries'

> However, it was his 1975 marriage to the very well known Helvin that
> turned him into a 'real' celebrity, a fact that got him the lucrative
> and enduring deal with Olympus that started several years later.
well as I say I knew hiom from the ads nothing else, and the catch phrase at
the time
was "David Bailey, who's he".
I joined my first camera club in about 1976, I remember the OM1
coming out, but for some reason I never really liked them.

> That you don't appear to know who any of these people are, or that
> Bailey was ever married (four times, in fact) is really neither here
> nor there. ;-)

It's exactly the point isn;t it, if I didnt; know who the famous women were
then I wouldn't have seen DB as a celeb because he was married to them.
I knew DB from the ads advertising the Olympus trip and that's
really all I knew about him, and I believe most people recognised
his name from those ads and not because who he married.
Why should I care whether DB or anyone else is married or not ?
Did I care what his favourite colour was, his favourite food,
what car he drives, well the answer was pretty much NO.
But the camera in his hand interested me, and not who he was shagging
or married to, that's a tabloid thing.

From: Bruce on
On Thu, 27 May 2010 01:39:06 +0200, Mxsmanic <mxsmanic(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Bruce writes:
>
>> And Yahoo! And AOL.
>
>The list is quite long. Corporations are getting to be like people: they all
>have their fifteen minutes of fame.

Yours being a few years ago ...

From: Bruce on
On Thu, 27 May 2010 12:03:12 +0100, "whisky-dave"
<whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
>It's exactly the point isn;t it, if I didnt; know who the famous women were
>then I wouldn't have seen DB as a celeb because he was married to them.
>I knew DB from the ads advertising the Olympus trip and that's
>really all I knew about him, and I believe most people recognised
>his name from those ads and not because who he married.
>Why should I care whether DB or anyone else is married or not ?

There's no need for you to care, just like there is no need for you to
know anything. They are both optional. Both are your choice.

The point is that Bailey would never have been in the Olympus ads if
he hadn't married Marie Helvin, becoming a celebrity in the process.

The fact that you neither know or care is irrelevant. But it does
help to explain why you don't understand.

From: Bruce on
On Thu, 27 May 2010 03:58:26 +0200, Mxsmanic <mxsmanic(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>It's a question of the right tool for the right job. Sometimes film makes more
>sense.

When might that be?