From: Bruce on
On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 08:32:53 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>On 2010-06-02 05:24:37 -0700, "whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> said:
>

>> "Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Er, perhaps because Marie Helvin is not a photographer, and David
>>> Bailey being a photographer was the whole basis of the ads?
>>
>> Then why use David Bailey if he wasn't know.
>> The thing is at the time these ads were about the phrase "David Bailey who's
>> he "
>> was more well know than either bailey, Olympus or Marie Helvin to the
>> general masses who where the ones likely to by the camera.

>>> Er, perhaps because Twiggy is not a photographer, and David Bailey
>>> being a photographer was the whole basis of the ads?
>>
>> But few knew him as a photographer, most discovered that from the ads.
>> That's why they were so well know, it had nothing to do with who
>> David Bailey was married to.
>
>I first became aware of Bailey in the mid 1960's when it was revealed
>that the photographer in "Blow Up" was loosely based on him. Up until
>then I had no idea who he was even though we had all seen much of the
>London work he produced.
>I never knew, or cared who he had married, and I have always known him
>as a photographer. This made him a logical choice to endorse a camera
>brand in an advertising campaign.

On the contrary, the hugely successful UK campaign he fronted was for
the Olympus Trip 35, which sold to people who knew nothing about
cameras or photographers, unless the latter were particularly famous
(which Bailey wasn't) or were married to someone who was (Bailey,
Snowdon).

Bailey only became publicly known by marrying first an actress, then a
supermodel. Prior to that he was only known among photographers and
fashion editors.

Ironically, it was the iconic Olympus Trip 35 adverts that brought
Bailey fame in his own right. Ask most people (not photographers) who
David Bailey was, and they will tell you he was the guy in the Olympus
adverts. Ask them what kind of photography he did, and they haven't
the faintest idea.

From: whisky-dave on

> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 08:32:53 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>On 2010-06-02 05:24:37 -0700, "whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear>
>>said:
>>

>>> "Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Then why use David Bailey if he wasn't know.
>>> The thing is at the time these ads were about the phrase "David Bailey
>>> who's
>>> he "
>>> was more well know than either bailey, Olympus or Marie Helvin to the
>>> general masses who where the ones likely to by the camera.

>>> But few knew him as a photographer, most discovered that from the ads.
>>> That's why they were so well know, it had nothing to do with who
>>> David Bailey was married to.
>>
>>I first became aware of Bailey in the mid 1960's when it was revealed
>>that the photographer in "Blow Up" was loosely based on him. Up until
>>then I had no idea who he was even though we had all seen much of the
>>London work he produced.
>>I never knew, or cared who he had married, and I have always known him
>>as a photographer. This made him a logical choice to endorse a camera
>>brand in an advertising campaign.
>

> On the contrary, the hugely successful UK campaign he fronted was for
> the Olympus Trip 35, which sold to people who knew nothing about
> cameras or photographers, unless the latter were particularly famous
> (which Bailey wasn't) or were married to someone who was (Bailey,
> Snowdon).
>
> Bailey only became publicly known by marrying first an actress, then a
> supermodel. Prior to that he was only known among photographers and
> fashion editors.

yes I agree with that, but I'm uncertain of how well he was know
before and after each of these events. Today celebs seem far more important,
what they do or don't do. To this day I don't; know if twiggy or any
supermodel
is or has been married it all passes me by. In the early 70s I had little
interesting in photography even less in becoming or marrying a supermodel.
My firsts introduction to the term SLR was when one friend suggested
I should get one to take photos of stars (astronomical ones) to me the term
SLR
meant self loading rifle.
David baily became know to me because of the ads for the olympus trip
nothing else, perhaps others knew himfor his photographers or whio he
married,
I'm not sure, but I think the height of his knowness was due to the millions
that watched the ad rather than those that study who's marrying/shagging
who.

> Ironically, it was the iconic Olympus Trip 35 adverts that brought
> Bailey fame in his own right. Ask most people (not photographers) who
> David Bailey was, and they will tell you he was the guy in the Olympus
> adverts. Ask them what kind of photography he did, and they haven't
> the faintest idea.

Yep, I fully agree that was how I saw him at the time.