From: John Braner on
On 08/07/2010 15:48, moonpie wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 15:29:30 +0100, John Braner<me(a)myhouse.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 08/07/2010 14:16, moonpie wrote:
>>>

>>> How many here are using Windows 7 and Sonar? Any issues?
>>>
>>> How many here are still using XP?
>>
>> Windows 7 x64 and SONAR 8.5.3 x64 - all works fine.
>

> theres a 64 bit version of Sonar?
>
> any flakiness at all with the audio engine? you know, hiccups, drop
> outs etc...

SONAR has been 64 bit for a while now.

No hiccups etc. They're caused by the soundcard drivers, Windows setup etc - not the audio engine.

--
===========
John Braner

jbraner(a)NOblueyonderSPAM.co.uk
http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
From: Phoenix on
I went 64-bit so I could use more RAM. At first I ran a dual boot
system, XP and Windows 7 release candidate. It became apparent after
a while I wasn't booting into XP and didn't need to. At that point I
doubled my RAM to 8GB in preparation for Windows 7 final.
From: Bob Donald on

>> How many here are using Windows 7 and Sonar? Any issues?
>
> Not!
>
>> How many here are still using XP?
>
> Am! It's not broke, so I'm not fixing it!

I'm running XP at the moment, but I'm about to experiment with w7 64bit. I
built this bad assed core i7 to replace our system that she and I share, and
cant get her to use the damned thing! We are house shopping and I'll be
able to set up a proper studio in the basement, so I think I'm going to
relegate this unused beast into a DAW. I'll still stick with Reaper on it
though......

From: John Braner on
On 09/07/2010 02:14, Phoenix wrote:
> I went 64-bit so I could use more RAM. At first I ran a dual boot
> system, XP and Windows 7 release candidate. It became apparent after a
> while I wasn't booting into XP and didn't need to. At that point I
> doubled my RAM to 8GB in preparation for Windows 7 final.

That's what I did. I can still boot into an XP partition - but since I went 64 bit in January, I've
never used it except for one or two beta testing things...

64 bit is the way to go for any new system, and between bitbridge and jbridge (costs �15) most
plugins work fine. The only trouble you'll have is with old ones and especially old dx ones.

I fully agree with the "if it's not broken don't fix it" schoool though - as it is *always* a PIA to
switch anything.

What made me take the leap was to be able to use 8GB of RAM to load Trilian, Omnisphere and a nice
big Superior drum set - and still have plenty left over. That made it worthwhile for me.

--
===========

From: moonpie on
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 15:41:54 -0700, "Rick Paul"
<rickpaul(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>Ditto everything John said. In fact, I'd add that the Win7 x64/SONAR 8.5.3
>x64 combination feels more stable and responsive than the XP 32-bit thing
>I'd been running previously, though it's quite likely there are other
>variables involved in making that so. One caveat, though, is some plug-ins
>don't work at all with x64, some you have to use some workarounds to get
>working, and some generally work but encounter BitBridge issues at times.
>That sounds like a mouthful, but it tends to be a minority-type thing, even
>when using 32-bit plug-ins, and many of the plug-ins I use most regularly
>now have 64-bit versions.

good info, thanks... which plug ins dont work in 64?

Does anybody know if ToonTrack EZDrummer works in windows 7 64?