From: kitekrazy on
On 7/20/2010 6:26 AM, Glennbo wrote:
> The killer robot "Ted Perlman"<ted(a)tedperlman.com> grabbed the controls
> of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>> <How many here are still using XP? I Am! It's not broke, so I'm not
>> fixing it>
>>
>> Same here! All of my machines are running XP - some SP2 and some SP3.
>
> I just upgraded my last XP-SP2 machine to XP-SP3 since Microsoft announced
> last week that there will be no more security updates for Service Pack 2.

I'm W7x64 all the way with the option to boot into XP. Only my Intel
system is total 64 bit.

W7 hasn't broke either.

I've heard that if you install W7 over XP your XP license is invalid
to use again.
From: sambodidley on

"Glennbo" wrote
>> I've heard that if you install W7 over XP your XP license is invalid
>> to use again.
>
> I dunno if that's true or not. Microsoft makes it clear as mud what you
> legally can and can't do with the various different install versions.
> Glennbo

I installed mine over Vista and it deactivated my Vista. I didn't activate
7 until the end of the 30 days just in case I chose to restore my Acronis
image of Vista instead. I wouldn't be able to restore it after I activated
7. That's if you purchased the upgrade version which I did.

From: sambodidley on

"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> In news:db882$4c47b7da$4b5bc99a$15217(a)ALLTEL.NET the killer robot
> "sambodidley" <scoobydoo(a)looneyville.com> grabbed the controls of the
> spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

>>> I dunno if that's true or not. Microsoft makes it clear as mud what
>>> you legally can and can't do with the various different install
>>> versions. Glennbo
>>
>> I installed mine over Vista and it deactivated my Vista. I didn't
>> activate 7 until the end of the 30 days just in case I chose to
>> restore my Acronis image of Vista instead. I wouldn't be able to
>> restore it after I activated 7. That's if you purchased the upgrade
>> version which I did.
>
> When you say, "installed over Vista" and "deactivated Vista", are you
> saying that you simply couldn't boot to Vista any more, which is what
> should happen if you install an OS on top of another. Now if you
> installed Windows 7 to drive D: when Vista was on C: I would expect that
> to allow you to dual boot. Or are you saying you did install to a
> different partition (not on top of), and it deactivated Vista?

> Glennbo

I'm saying I installed 7 directly over Vista as an update to Vista. It
left all my settings in Vista unchanged and 7 still looked almost exactly as
Vista did before the update. That is exactly what I wanted it to do. I
even ran the update from the install disc from Vista. I had 30 days to try
7 on my computer before I was required to validate it. At any time during
that period I could have restored my Acronis image and returned to Vista
without losing its validation. Once I validated 7 it canceled the
validation on my Vista. According to my eula my 7 upgrade could only be
used to upgrade and not for a clean install on another partition. I have
read some web postings about how some people have got around that but I had
no interest in doing so. If 7 would run ok on my computer with all the
programs and hardware I certainly wouldn't care to go back to Vista or even
dual boot into it. I bought my upgrade in that preorder offer back in July
from newegg.com for $49 and they didn't bill my credit card until they
shipped it at release several months later. I got my monies worth and more.
It runs my new Microsoft Flight Simulator X with all that hardware just
great. <g>

From: sambodidley on

> The killer robot "sambodidley" <scoobydoo(a)looneyville.com> grabbed the
> controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>>> When you say, "installed over Vista" and "deactivated Vista", are you
>>> saying that you simply couldn't boot to Vista any more, which is what
>>> should happen if you install an OS on top of another. Now if you
>>> installed Windows 7 to drive D: when Vista was on C: I would expect
>>> that to allow you to dual boot. Or are you saying you did install to
>>> a different partition (not on top of), and it deactivated Vista?
>>
>>> Glennbo
>>
>> I'm saying I installed 7 directly over Vista as an update to Vista.
>> It left all my settings in Vista unchanged and 7 still looked almost
>> exactly as Vista did before the update. That is exactly what I wanted
>> it to do. I even ran the update from the install disc from Vista. I
>> had 30 days to try 7 on my computer before I was required to validate
>> it. At any time during that period I could have restored my Acronis
>> image and returned to Vista without losing its validation. Once I
>> validated 7 it canceled the validation on my Vista. According to my
>> eula my 7 upgrade could only be used to upgrade and not for a clean
>> install on another partition. I have read some web postings about how
>> some people have got around that but I had no interest in doing so.
>> If 7 would run ok on my computer with all the programs and hardware I
>> certainly wouldn't care to go back to Vista or even dual boot into it.
>> I bought my upgrade in that preorder offer back in July from
>> newegg.com for $49 and they didn't bill my credit card until they
>> shipped it at release several months later. I got my monies worth and
>> more. It runs my new Microsoft Flight Simulator X with all that
>> hardware just great. <g>
>
> "According to my eula my 7 upgrade could only be used to upgrade and not
> for a clean install on another partition"
>
> Yet, if you had installed it as an upgrade to XP, it would have forced you
> to do a clean install. A clean install to the same partition though will
> rename your original Windows folder to "Windows.old".
>
> When I upgraded my XP machine in my office using an upgrade disk, I put a
> brand new unpartitioned drive in and configured it to be C:, and
> configured
> my original C: drive as D:. When I installed it, I pointed it to my new
> unpartitioned drive to install on, and when I was done, I still had a
> Windows folder on both drives. It did not make it dual boot, but I could
> have probably dinked around with boot.ini and made that happen. I still
> have the drive that I upgraded from in a storage closet, so if I ever want
> to do another clean install, I only have to have that drive connected
> during the installation, and then I can remove it again.
> Glennbo

Yeah, well I had Vista instead and I was glad to get rid of the dang thang.
The only way I would have restored it is if I had problems with 7 on my
programs and hardware. I bought this upgrade especially for that purpose.
Everything runs faster and better now in 7 than it ever did in Vista. I
still have XP on three other computers if I need it. In fact, it is on this
computer I'm typing on right now.

From: sambodidley on

"Glennbo" wrote >> Yeah, well I had Vista instead and I was glad to get rid
of the dang
>> thang. The only way I would have restored it is if I had problems with
>> 7 on my programs and hardware. I bought this upgrade especially for
>> that purpose. Everything runs faster and better now in 7 than it ever
>> did in Vista. I still have XP on three other computers if I need it.
>> In fact, it is on this computer I'm typing on right now.
>
> I don't blame you for throwing out Vista. I have it on my bedroom tv
> machine, doing one thing... TV. I would never buy it, but I got this
> brand
> new un-opened copy that was going to be thrown out, and needed a cheep OS
> for a TV computer.

> Glennbo

The only reason I bought a new computer with Vista on it in the first place
is because my brother, son and grand daughter all had Vista computers. The
only way I could help them on the phone was if we were looking at the same
screen. They've had their computers for over a year now so from now on they
will just have to figure it out for themselves. I need my new computer for
my FSX. It has 4 gigs of matched RAM and a fast video card with digital
output to my digital monitor.<g>