From: Skip M on
"Linda Nieuwenstein" <buzzball(a)REMOVETHIS-allstream.net> wrote in message

> "Skip M" wrote>>
>> The 70-300 IS USM is decidedly non professional. Really. It's a
>> replacement for the old 75-300 IS USM, which was Canon's first IS lens.
>>

> The NEW 70-300 (one of the NEW 2 lenses just announced by Canon that the
> poster was referring to) IS a PROFESSIONAL lense made with the
> PROFESSIONAL LEVEL bodies in mind, so OF COURSE it is not EF-S.
>
> Take care,
> Linda

You need to calm down, and read about that of which you write. According to
DPReview's release of Canon's press release, "the lens is expected to appeal
to serious amateur nature and sports photographers looking to achieve
outstanding results while shooting hand held." NOT a pro lens, by any
stretch of the imagination, Linda. Besides the above quote, it says further
that it uses micro USM, or the lower on the food chain USM, that usually
includes non full time manual focusing and a rotating front element. These
are features that a pro would find unacceptable.
The release also mentions being mounted on the 20D and 350D, nothing about
being meant for the 1Ds, 1D or 5D.
And did you think that emphasizing certain words would make them carry any
more weight?

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

From: Skip M on
"Zed Pobre" <zed(a)resonant.org> wrote in message
> Skip M <shadowcatcher(a)cox.net> wrote:
>>>
>> The 70-300 IS USM is decidedly non professional. Really. It's a
>> replacement for the old 75-300 IS USM, which was Canon's first IS lens.
>
> The MTF charts on it are impressive, though. If that holds up in
> real-world sharpness and contrast, I'll probably spend more time
> waffling on whether I want to pick up the 70-300 or the 80-400 as a
> replacement for my current 75-300.
>
> --
> Zed Pobre <zed(a)resonant.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed(a)debian.org>
> PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.

Do you mean 100-400? Canon doesn't make an 80-400, although Sigma does in
Canon mount. The difference in weight alone might make the decision
easier...the 70-300 weighs less than half what the 100-400 IS does, and if
the price is in line with the old 75-300, which sold for under $600 when it
came out, well, the line between them is pretty clear.

From: Skip M on

> "Skip M" wrote >
>> Except for the just announced 24-105 f4 L IS and the 70-300 f4.5-5.6 IS
>> USM, both of which are EF lenses, not EF-S.
>>

> PROFESSIONAL level lenses made for Canon's PROFESSIONAL level bodies so OF
> COURSE they will not be EF-S.
>
>> EF-S lenses won't fit on the full frame cameras, like the 1Ds/mkII and
>> the also just announced 5D, so there will probably be some more non EF-S
>> lenses produced in the near future. Just not super wides like the EF-S
>> 10-22
>>

> Very good. You get it. Though several posters in this thread had already
> stated the technical reasonal prior to your post.
>
> Take care,
> Linda

You don't get it, though. You said most new lenses will be EF-S, not most
new lenses not meant for pro use. And the 70-300 isn't meant for pro use,
anyway. And Phil's site, which you have proven so fond of quoting, backs
that up, by the way.

From: Skip M on

> "Dave R knows who" wrote...
>>

>> Oh hogwash. The 70-300 is not even "L" quality.
> Perhaps you should read more before continuing to spout foolishness...
>
> Phil knows what you don't:
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082207canonlenses.asp
>
> Take care,
> Linda

Well, gee, since I just quoted his release, above, maybe you should go back
and read it, yourself. The 70-300 is meant for serious amateurs, and it
says so, right there, in the first paragraph below the image of the lens...

From: Skip M on

> "Dave R knows who" wrote >
>> I'm getting emotional because you are dead wrong, IMO.
>>

> Your unproven opinion means ziltch to me when it so greatly conflicts with
> the overwhelmingly proven, and definitive opinion of Phil's:
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082207canonlenses.asp
>
> Take care,
> Linda

You REALLY need to read what you quote, you are looking sillier by the
moment. That release says the 70-300 is meant to appeal to serious
amateurs.
This is the third time you've quoted it, but you apparently still haven't
read it.