From: Mike Jones on

Lets say I have a premastered audio CD called "Side of the Dark Moon",
and lets say the first track and second track run together, sounding like
continuous music, with no audible silent gap.

Lets also say there is no legal problem making a backup copy.

cdrdao copy --speed 8 --device /dev/cd2 --source-device /dev/cd1

....results in a pretty similar copy of a normal music CD, with 2 second
gaps between tracks. Ok for general pop music CDs.

With the "Side of the Dark Moon" disk, it inserts a 2 second gap between
track_1 and track_2, breaking the music continuation. Bah!

So,

cdrdao read-cd --device /dev/cd1 --datafile cd.bin cd.toc

....gets me a data file and a toc file.

cdrdao write --device /dev/cd2 --datafile cd.bin cd.toc

....records a copy, with 2 second gaps between all tracks. Bah!

'man cdrdao' says about the '--fast-toc' flag...

"The resulting CD will sound like the source CD. Only the CD player's
display will behave slightly different in the transition area between two
tracks."

....which sounds like what I need, so,

cdrdao read-cd --fast-toc --device /dev/cd1 --datafile cd.bin cd.toc

....and,

cdrdao write --device /dev/cd2 --datafile cd.bin cd.toc

....records a copy, with 2 second gaps between all tracks. Bah!

I've tried a number of "blindly whacking away at things to see what
happens" and "If this works I'm a genius" experiments, but the magic "Do
a matching copy without forcing 2 second gaps" end result still eludes me.

Does anybody want to show off by pointing out some blindingly obvious
solution that I've missed, along with everybody who's written about
similar problems in the stuff I've found while searching on this one?

XP+FU alt.os.linux

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Java Jive on
On Mon, 17 May 2010 22:56:26 +0000 (UTC), Mike Jones
<luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:

> Lets say I have a premastered audio CD called "Side of the Dark Moon",
> and lets say the first track and second track run together, sounding like
> continuous music, with no audible silent gap.

If that's a cute way of referring to a famous recording, buy it if you
haven't already, it's worth every penny.

> With the "Side of the Dark Moon" disk, it inserts a 2 second gap between
> track_1 and track_2, breaking the music continuation. Bah!

I can't comment on that particular piece of software, but there is
more to the problem than just telling your burning software not to
create gaps, you also have to arrange that the tracks each begin and
end on a CD sector boundary. This is particularly a problem for
digitising vinyls where the tracks run into one another, and
accordingly there is (a liittle bit) more detail on my page on that
subject, see section 9 of Procedure ...
http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/Vinyls/VinylRestoration.html

However, I wouldn't've thought that would be a problem copying CDs,
UNLESS, and this is why I'm bothering to mention it, you or the
software has done something that could have altered any track lengths
- for example, converting to mp3, removing silences at the beginning
and end of some tracks, etc.

Regardless of the above, I've had a similar problem with Nero. When
my ex-wife asked for a copy of a CD I'd made up from a couple of
restored vinyls, initially I used Nero to copy my existing CD, but,
although I can't recall the details now, the result was similar. I
had to go back to the original wave files and recreate the CD from
those.

I suppose it's possible that in either or both cases the gaps were/are
being added during the ripping phase, and it's at that point that one
needs to know how to stop it.. What happens if you create wave files?
Are there gaps at the beginning and end of them?

Another approach would be just to copy the disk as an entire unit,
ISTR that there's a Linux command to do this, but it's been a while
.... Perhaps ...
dd if=dev1 of=dev2
.... might work? You could try it onto a file first to see if the
result is the right sort of size, and if it looks good try dd-ing the
file to a destination CD-R.
From: Eef Hartman on
In alt.os.linux.slackware Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
> Lets say I have a premastered audio CD called "Side of the Dark Moon",
> and lets say the first track and second track run together, sounding like
> continuous music, with no audible silent gap.
>
> Lets also say there is no legal problem making a backup copy.

I didn't try this, but "cdda2wav" is capable of making a single, continuous
..wav file out of a whole CD. You can then burn that back with cdrecord.

Both programs are standard in Slackware, in the "cdrtools" package.

I normally use cdda2wav TO split it into separate tracks/files, but
without it you should get a single output file of the CD.
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-278 82525 **
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Java Jive:

> On Mon, 17 May 2010 22:56:26 +0000 (UTC), Mike Jones
> <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>

>> Lets say I have a premastered audio CD called "Side of the Dark Moon",
>> and lets say the first track and second track run together, sounding
>> like continuous music, with no audible silent gap.
>
> If that's a cute way of referring to a famous recording, buy it if you
> haven't already, it's worth every penny.

I know, but...

>> With the "Side of the Dark Moon" disk, it inserts a 2 second gap
>> between track_1 and track_2, breaking the music continuation. Bah!
>
> I can't comment on that particular piece of software, but there is more
> to the problem than just telling your burning software not to create
> gaps, you also have to arrange that the tracks each begin and end on a
> CD sector boundary. This is particularly a problem for digitising
> vinyls where the tracks run into one another, and accordingly there is
> (a liittle bit) more detail on my page on that subject, see section 9 of
> Procedure ...
> http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/Vinyls/
VinylRestoration.html

Will peruse this later today. Ta.

> However, I wouldn't've thought that would be a problem copying CDs,
> UNLESS, and this is why I'm bothering to mention it, you or the software
> has done something that could have altered any track lengths - for
> example, converting to mp3, removing silences at the beginning and end
> of some tracks, etc.
>
> Regardless of the above, I've had a similar problem with Nero. When my
> ex-wife asked for a copy of a CD I'd made up from a couple of restored
> vinyls, initially I used Nero to copy my existing CD, but, although I
> can't recall the details now, the result was similar. I had to go back
> to the original wave files and recreate the CD from those.
>
> I suppose it's possible that in either or both cases the gaps were/are
> being added during the ripping phase, and it's at that point that one
> needs to know how to stop it.. What happens if you create wave files?
> Are there gaps at the beginning and end of them?
>
> Another approach would be just to copy the disk as an entire unit, ISTR
> that there's a Linux command to do this, but it's been a while ...
> Perhaps ...
> dd if=dev1 of=dev2
> ... might work? You could try it onto a file first to see if the result
> is the right sort of size, and if it looks good try dd-ing the file to a
> destination CD-R.

dd won't grab audio data.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Eef Hartman:

> In alt.os.linux.slackware Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>> Lets say I have a premastered audio CD called "Side of the Dark Moon",
>> and lets say the first track and second track run together, sounding
>> like continuous music, with no audible silent gap.
>>
>> Lets also say there is no legal problem making a backup copy.
>
> I didn't try this, but "cdda2wav" is capable of making a single,
> continuous .wav file out of a whole CD. You can then burn that back with
> cdrecord.
>
> Both programs are standard in Slackware, in the "cdrtools" package.
>
> I normally use cdda2wav TO split it into separate tracks/files, but
> without it you should get a single output file of the CD.

That'd be a partial solution, but track skipping wouldn't work any more.

I'm looking at whats "gone wrong" with the "clone-it" idea here.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
 |  Next  |  Last