From: Mike Jones on
Responding to unruh:

> On 2010-05-21, Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>> Responding to unruh:

>>> You know again you are giving us no information to help you. Which
>>> examples failed? What were the results?
>>

>> The examples, as I said, were the ones mentioned above, and they failed
>> because no device is specified. Thats why I asked about the -device
>> stuff, as in, how did you configure what device to use?
>
> There were three examples. (Listed at the top) Which failed? On
> cdrecord, use
> cdrecord --scanbus
> to find out where your cdwriter is and then do something like cdrecord
> device=0,0,0 ....
> where those three numbers you get from the scanbus command.

Dude, we already have device access. What are you looking for?

cdparanopia, cdda2wav, and cdrdao all have a "device" statement.

I'm not seeing one in the suggestions above, and the commends bombed as
expected because of this.

>>> Note also that you should put the cd into a cdplayer ( not into
>>> audacity or xine or whatever-- they may put in a gap even though none
>>> exists on teh disk-- that is what it sounds like if you say the gap is
>>> different on the various players).
>>>

>> The original CDs play fine. Something is not working like it says on
>> the tin here.
>
> Have you or have you not put the cds into a cd player(not a computer cd
> player but a regular cd player) and listened to them to see if the 2 sec
> gap is there? If not, why not?

A: I'm looking at why I can't get a clone copy. It matters not if it
works in a stand alone player (which I don't have) or not.

B: Kindly do something about your stroppy attitude. Its not helping.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: unruh on
On 2010-05-21, Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
> Responding to unruh:
>
>> On 2010-05-21, Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>>> Responding to unruh:

>>> The examples, as I said, were the ones mentioned above, and they failed
>>> because no device is specified. Thats why I asked about the -device
>>> stuff, as in, how did you configure what device to use?
>>
>> There were three examples. (Listed at the top) Which failed? On
>> cdrecord, use
>> cdrecord --scanbus
>> to find out where your cdwriter is and then do something like cdrecord
>> device=0,0,0 ....
>> where those three numbers you get from the scanbus command.
>

> Dude, we already have device access. What are you looking for?
>
> cdparanopia, cdda2wav, and cdrdao all have a "device" statement.
>
> I'm not seeing one in the suggestions above, and the commends bombed as
> expected because of this.

Dude, I just told you wnat to do (maybe you got confused because your
mailer chopped up the line)
You find out what your device number is using
cdrecord --scanbus
Once you know what the trio of numbers is, you run cdrecord with the
cdrecord device=0,0,0 <rest of the options>
where those three numbers are what you got from the scanbus command.
You really really really have a hard time listening to others.

>>> The original CDs play fine. Something is not working like it says on
>>> the tin here.
>>
>> Have you or have you not put the cds into a cd player(not a computer cd
>> player but a regular cd player) and listened to them to see if the 2 sec
>> gap is there? If not, why not?
>>

> A: I'm looking at why I can't get a clone copy. It matters not if it
> works in a stand alone player (which I don't have) or not.

Yes, it does matter. It narrows down the options and reasons for
failure. Sheesh. You are narrow minded and closed to all suggestions
aren't you. Did you think that I was telling you to listen on cd player
because I wanted you to hear the wonderful harmonies again?

> B: Kindly do something about your stroppy attitude. Its not helping.

Exactly who is trying to help whom here?
From: jr4412 on
> I've tried everything suggested so far, and got the same problem each
> time, except for the suggestions that plain bombed out as they weren't
> complete commands, which I asked about, and got no response to.

cdrecord/cdda2wav didn't work for you??

what is your *exact* h/ware & s/ware setup?
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to jr4412:

>> I've tried everything suggested so far, and got the same problem each
>> time, except for the suggestions that plain bombed out as they weren't
>> complete commands, which I asked about, and got no response to.
>
> cdrecord/cdda2wav didn't work for you??
>
> what is your *exact* h/ware & s/ware setup?

Slackware 12.2, mplayer, audacious, xine, cdrecord, cdrdao, cdda2wav

A slightly fried MOBO + DC AMD Athlon CPU (got the same problems on a new
machine too though) SATA HDD, 2Gb RAM, so not a resource problem.

Not sure about the DVD\CD trays though. Panasonic DVD RW and a Lite-on CD
RW unit.

Still doesn't explain why the copies are not clones though.

What would be neat is if somebody did what I'm trying to do, and posted
up EXACTLY what they did, command by command, to get gap-less clone-
reproduction a la original.

It'd be useful if somebody else also had the same problem. :(

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to unruh:

> On 2010-05-21, Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>> Responding to unruh:

>>> There were three examples. (Listed at the top) Which failed? On
>>> cdrecord, use
>>> cdrecord --scanbus
>>> to find out where your cdwriter is and then do something like cdrecord
>>> device=0,0,0 ....
>>> where those three numbers you get from the scanbus command.
>>

>> Dude, we already have device access. What are you looking for?
>>
>> cdparanopia, cdda2wav, and cdrdao all have a "device" statement.
>>
>> I'm not seeing one in the suggestions above, and the commends bombed as
>> expected because of this.
>
> Dude, I just told you wnat to do (maybe you got confused because your
> mailer chopped up the line)

IT DIDN'T WORK. Ok?

cdda2wav -vall cddb=0 -B cdrecord -v -sao -useinfo *.wav

=[FAIL] (errors about device)

cdda2wav -D /dev/dvd -vall cddb=0 -B cdrecord -v -sao -useinfo *.wav

=[FAIL] (hangs,doing nothing)

cdda2wav -vall cddb=0 -B cdrecord device=5,0,0 -v -sao -useinfo *.wav

=[FAIL] (errors about device)

> You find out what your device number is using cdrecord --scanbus
> Once you know what the trio of numbers is, you run cdrecord with the
> cdrecord device=0,0,0 <rest of the options> where those three numbers
> are what you got from the scanbus command. You really really really have
> a hard time listening to others.

Why do I need to use scanbus output when "-device /dev/dvd" already
works? you've made no mention as to why I should ignore whats already set
up. Do you suspect a problem with the /dev/dvd directive?

If all you're going to do is issue unexplained commands like an old
headmaster, and crack your whip if you don't "see progress", we're not
going to get very far with this.

>>> Have you or have you not put the cds into a cd player(not a computer
>>> cd player but a regular cd player) and listened to them to see if the
>>> 2 sec gap is there? If not, why not?
>>>

>> A: I'm looking at why I can't get a clone copy. It matters not if it
>> works in a stand alone player (which I don't have) or not.
>
> Yes, it does matter. It narrows down the options and reasons for
> failure. Sheesh. You are narrow minded and closed to all suggestions
> aren't you. Did you think that I was telling you to listen on cd player
> because I wanted you to hear the wonderful harmonies again?

Pretty much how you're coming across ATM, to be fair.

>> B: Kindly do something about your stroppy attitude. Its not helping.
>>

> Exactly who is trying to help whom here?

Feel free to let this one drop any time. Its not worth discord.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.