From: Mike Jones on
Responding to unruh:

> On 2010-05-22, jr4412 <jr4412(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> What he means by functioning is duplicates that do not have the 2
>>> second gap between tracks if the original does not.
>>
>> yes, and if the OP follows the instructions in the cdrecord man page,
>> then there's no gap.
>
> He seems strangely resistant to doing so. When Schilling suggested it,
> he tried running the two lines of command together into one. Also since
> Schilling forgot to put the "device=" option into his commands, he got
> errors. When I told the OP how to put in the device command he objected
> that I was giving him orders without explanation. This is starting to
> look a lot like a troll, rather than someone who genuinely has a problem
> he wants a solution to.

Dude, you're not only not being helpful, you're becoming offensive with
this ego trip stuff now. Kindly leave the thread if you can't be civil.

Enough, ok?

Later.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Xyzzy on
Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> writes:

> Dude, you're not only not being helpful, you're becoming offensive with
> this ego trip stuff now. Kindly leave the thread if you can't be civil.

pot.kettle.black

Y2

--
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig."
--Lazarus Long
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Xyzzy:

> Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> writes:
>>
>> Dude, you're not only not being helpful, you're becoming offensive with
>> this ego trip stuff now. Kindly leave the thread if you can't be civil.
>
> pot.kettle.black
>
> Y2

Thanks for helping to resolve that one. %|

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: unruh on
On 2010-05-23, Joerg Schilling <js(a)cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> In article <slrnhvapfk.8li.unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca>,
> unruh <unruh(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>
>>> cdrdao does not seem to get attention anymore by it's developers, it did not
>>> get new features since May 2005, so it looks orphaned.
>>>
>>> Just follow the EXAMPLES sections in the cdrtools man pages.....
>>>
>>> cdda2wav -vall cddb=0 -B
>>> cdrecord -v -sao -useinfo *.wav
>>>
>>> This is known to work since 12 years now ;-)
>>
>>While I agree, I still like cdrdao, or and especially gcdmaster in
>>enabeling me easily to grab bits and pieces from a wav file and master
>>than onto a CD, without actually altering the original .wav file.
>>Ie, in the toc file of cdrdao, you specify the .wav file and the
>>beginning of a section and length and you can piece together parts from
>>a number of files or different parts of the same file, or whatever. That
>>is something that I do not know of any other cd mastering software that
>>does it. gcdmaster also allow you to immediately listen to the result.
>>Furthermore the .toc file will save the result ( in English) so that you
>>can reuse it again 4 years later when you have long forgotten what you
>>did, or even edit it by hand.
>>It would be great if someone wrote the same kind of thing for cdrecord
>>But I do not know of anything.
>
> The question was not to create gaps between tracks.
>
> I am not sure about how your text is related to that.

It is not at all. It was simply a statement as to why I still like
cdrdao/gcdmaster. As usual, there are many tools in Linux and some have
advantages in certain situations. I will agree that cdrtools is more
robust, handles a far wider range of situations, etc. Unfortunately
there are certain things which it does not do as well. That is probably
largely due to the absense of certain gui based tools.

> The trick why cdrtools is able to do things that other programs can't do
> is caused by the fact that cdrtools follow the basic ideas how sound engineers
> create the structure of a recording. In this structure, the beginning of a track
> is Index 1 of Track "n" and the end of the same track is the end of Index 0 of
> Track "n+1". Cdda2wav extracts the data this way into files and writes the
> related meta-data information into the *.inf files. Cdrecord understands this
> information and is able to reconstruct the same structure.
>
> Cdrtools is the only tool I am aware of that allows to combine tracks from
> different disks without the need of physically editing wav files.

No, cdrdao does that easily. I do it all the time.
cdrdao never edits .wav files.

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Joerg Schilling:

> In article <pan.2010.05.21.21.57.22(a)dasteem.invalid>, Mike Jones
> <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>>Responding to jr4412:

>>> cdrecord/cdda2wav didn't work for you??
>>>
>>> what is your *exact* h/ware & s/ware setup?
>>

>>Slackware 12.2, mplayer, audacious, xine, cdrecord, cdrdao, cdda2wav
>
> cdrecord exists since 14 years, cdda2wav exists since 17 yeras now.
> Which version did you use?
>
> call cdrecord -version and cdda2wav -version

Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a53 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)

cdda2wav 2.01.01a53 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)

FWIW: I'm seriously thinking I have a hardware (or possibly a config)
glitch, based on seeing other's success with exactly the same commands
and resources I'm getting failures with. This would explain why I'm not
seeing the end results the man pages say will happen.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.