From: unruh on
On 2010-05-19, jens <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
>>Responding to jens:
>
>>> Hi Mike,

>>> Use the read-toc command of cdrdao to extract the toc of the cd.
>
>>> HTH, Jens
>
>>...and then?
>
> RTFM!
>
>> I've tried a few things from the man page for cdrdao, like removing the
>> START field's value, removing the START field completely, fiddling with
>> various values, but all I get is either a disk with forced gaps, or error
>> messages.
>
> You don't need to manually fiddle with any value in the toc file.
> The read-toc command does that for you. I haven't copied music cds
> in a while, but I used to do it the following way:

I think that he starts with one long wave file into which he wants to
put track marks so that he can skip to specific sections. But he is
finding that when he puts in those track marks something is also
inserting 2 sec silence. Since he wants a continuous sound ( ie the
sould shuold just flow through the track mark) he does not like it. He
is asking how he can insert track marks without also inserting 2 sec of
silence. My suspicion is that his .toc file, or his cdrdao commands are
telling it to write the cd as a bunch of tracks (TAO mode-- Track at
once mode)) rather than in DAO --Disk at once--mode.

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to jens:

> Hi Mike,
>
>>Responding to jens:
>
>>> Hi Mike,

>>> Use the read-toc command of cdrdao to extract the toc of the cd.
>
>>> HTH, Jens
>
>>...and then?
>
> RTFM!

Read it, and a lot of stuff I'd have been better not reading.

The man page says one thing, then I get gaps anyway.

Thanks for assuming I'd not bothered BTW.

>> I've tried a few things from the man page for cdrdao, like removing the
>> START field's value, removing the START field completely, fiddling with
>> various values, but all I get is either a disk with forced gaps, or
>> error messages.
>
> You don't need to manually fiddle with any value in the toc file. The
> read-toc command does that for you. I haven't copied music cds in a
> while, but I used to do it the following way:
>
> cdparanoia -d $READ_DEVICE 1- data.wav cdrdao read-toc --device
> $READ_DEVICE $TOCFILE cdrdao read-cddb $TOCFILE
> cdrdao write --device $WRITE_DEVICE $TOCFILE
>
> I don't know if cdparanoia still exists, you can probably also use
> cdda2wav or cdrdao for reading data.wav instead.
>
> Jens
>
> XP to alt.os.linux

cdrdao has a "copy" function, that forced gaps, and a few "tricks" it
says will not put gaps in, that don't seem to work.

If you have an "I did this and it works" sequence, I'm ready for it.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to unruh:

[...]
>>> I've tried a few things from the man page for cdrdao, like removing
>>> the START field's value, removing the START field completely, fiddling
>>> with various values, but all I get is either a disk with forced gaps,
>>> or error messages.
>>
>> You don't need to manually fiddle with any value in the toc file. The
>> read-toc command does that for you. I haven't copied music cds in a
>> while, but I used to do it the following way:
>
> I think that he starts with one long wave file into which he wants to
> put track marks so that he can skip to specific sections. But he is
> finding that when he puts in those track marks something is also
> inserting 2 sec silence.

Nope. I have a CD I want to clone, without extra gaps.

No wave files involved.

I just want a clone, like the cdrdao man page says it does, but doesn't.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to unruh:

[...]
>> Its therefore cdrdao, unless I have a gremlin somewhere.
>
> No. gcdmaster uses cdrdao to write . The toc file is what cdrdao uses to
> twrite the disk. I said that I write the CD with cdrdao. You have
> refused to post your .toc file here so we can look at it. I think you
> have now gotten as much information from us as you are ever going to
> get.

??? "Refused to..." ???

>> I'll mess about with your toc this afternoon, see what happens.
>
> What is your toc file? DO NOT use tao mode. Use dao mode.

As I said in other posts, all I;m trying to do it get cdrdao to do what
it says in it's man page.

Lets see what makes sense here...

#> cdrdao read-toc --device /dev/dvd test.toc

....gets

===================================

CD_DA

// Track 1
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
SILENCE 00:00:33
FILE "data.wav" 0 03:57:58
START 00:00:33

// Track 2
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
FILE "data.wav" 03:57:58 03:35:00
START 00:00:02

// Track 3
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
FILE "data.wav" 07:32:58 07:04:60
START 00:00:02

// Track 4
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
FILE "data.wav" 14:37:43 04:47:05
START 00:00:02

// Track 5
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
FILE "data.wav" 19:24:48 06:22:35
START 00:00:02

// Track 6
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
FILE "data.wav" 25:47:08 07:50:20
START 00:00:02

// Track 7
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
FILE "data.wav" 33:37:28 03:25:50
START 00:00:02

// Track 8
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
FILE "data.wav" 37:03:03 03:50:38
START 00:00:02

// Track 9
TRACK AUDIO
NO COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
FILE "data.wav" 40:53:41 02:01:19
START 00:00:01

===================================

....which is what is supposed to use to make sure the copy is a clone,
according to 'man cdrdao'.

Wanna pick it up and say how you'd progress from here? All I've got is
stuff that doesn't work that I've whacked through so many times I can't
remember what I've done or not done, and gaps every time.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: jens on
On 05/20/2010 12:19 AM, unruh wrote:

>> You don't need to manually fiddle with any value in the toc file.
>> The read-toc command does that for you. I haven't copied music cds
>> in a while, but I used to do it the following way:
>
> I think that he starts with one long wave file into which he wants to
> put track marks so that he can skip to specific sections. But he is
> finding that when he puts in those track marks something is also
> inserting 2 sec silence. Since he wants a continuous sound ( ie the
> sould shuold just flow through the track mark) he does not like it. He

I know that. I have read the OP.

> is asking how he can insert track marks without also inserting 2 sec of
> silence. My suspicion is that his .toc file, or his cdrdao commands are
> telling it to write the cd as a bunch of tracks (TAO mode-- Track at
> once mode)) rather than in DAO --Disk at once--mode.

Have you read and understood the 1st sentence of the
cdrdao man page? Please stop posting on this matter until
you have. And while you're at it, please also read the
description of the read-toc command.

The commands below will do a DAO burn. I have burned dozens
of music cds like this. There won't be two seconds of silence
between tracks if the original cd had continuous music between
them. He will be able to skip between tracks. He does not
need to fiddle with his toc-file.

What else do I have to tell you before you try to burn a cd
with the following commands? Do you need some help interpreting
the strings that start with a '$' sign or what?

>> cdparanoia -d $READ_DEVICE 1- data.wav
>> cdrdao read-toc --device $READ_DEVICE $TOCFILE
>> cdrdao read-cddb $TOCFILE
>> cdrdao write --device $WRITE_DEVICE $TOCFILE
>>
>> I don't know if cdparanoia still exists, you can
>> probably also use cdda2wav or cdrdao for reading
>> data.wav instead.

I just checked. Slackware (which the OP seems to be using) still
contains cdparanoia.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Prev: A spanked spammer...