From: unruh on
On 2010-05-19, Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
> Responding to unruh:
>
> [...]
>>> Its therefore cdrdao, unless I have a gremlin somewhere.
>>
>> No. gcdmaster uses cdrdao to write . The toc file is what cdrdao uses to
>> twrite the disk. I said that I write the CD with cdrdao. You have
>> refused to post your .toc file here so we can look at it. I think you
>> have now gotten as much information from us as you are ever going to
>> get.
>

> ??? "Refused to..." ???
>

>>> I'll mess about with your toc this afternoon, see what happens.
>>
>> What is your toc file? DO NOT use tao mode. Use dao mode.
>

> As I said in other posts, all I;m trying to do it get cdrdao to do what
> it says in it's man page.
>
> Lets see what makes sense here...
>

> #> cdrdao read-toc --device /dev/dvd test.toc
>
> ...gets
>

>===================================
>
> CD_DA
>

> // Track 1
> TRACK AUDIO
> NO COPY
> NO PRE_EMPHASIS
> TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
> SILENCE 00:00:33
> FILE "data.wav" 0 03:57:58
> START 00:00:33
Well, I would remove all the START lines.

I would also remover the SILENCE line.

From: unruh on
On 2010-05-20, Joerg Schilling <js(a)cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> In article <pan.2010.05.17.22.56.26(a)dasteem.invalid>,
> Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>
>> cdrdao write --device /dev/cd2 --datafile cd.bin cd.toc
>>
>>...records a copy, with 2 second gaps between all tracks. Bah!
>>

>>I've tried a number of "blindly whacking away at things to see what
>>happens" and "If this works I'm a genius" experiments, but the magic "Do
>>a matching copy without forcing 2 second gaps" end result still eludes me.
>
> cdrdao does not seem to get attention anymore by it's developers, it did not
> get new features since May 2005, so it looks orphaned.
>
> Just follow the EXAMPLES sections in the cdrtools man pages.....
>
> cdda2wav -vall cddb=0 -B
> cdrecord -v -sao -useinfo *.wav
>
> This is known to work since 12 years now ;-)

While I agree, I still like cdrdao, or and especially gcdmaster in
enabeling me easily to grab bits and pieces from a wav file and master
than onto a CD, without actually altering the original .wav file.
Ie, in the toc file of cdrdao, you specify the .wav file and the
beginning of a section and length and you can piece together parts from
a number of files or different parts of the same file, or whatever. That
is something that I do not know of any other cd mastering software that
does it. gcdmaster also allow you to immediately listen to the result.
Furthermore the .toc file will save the result ( in English) so that you
can reuse it again 4 years later when you have long forgotten what you
did, or even edit it by hand.
It would be great if someone wrote the same kind of thing for cdrecord
But I do not know of anything.

From: unruh on
On 2010-05-20, Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
> Responding to Loki Harfagr:
>
>> Wed, 19 May 2010 23:13:49 +0000, Mike Jones did cat??:

>> I'd prefer (and I most of the times use) Joerg's post way, anyway, just
>> a quick question (untested, no CDW at work ,-), did you try and remove
>> the pre-gap between tracks 1 and 2, in your toc :
>>
>>> // Track 2
>>> TRACK AUDIO
>>> NO COPY
>>> NO PRE_EMPHASIS
>>> TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
>>> FILE "data.wav" 03:57:58 03:35:00
>>> START 00:00:02
>>
>> remove that last line (the START pre-gap)
>

> Yup. Hacked things about quite a bit, but all I ended up with was a
> forced-gap recording, or command syntax errors.
Are you sure that you JUST removed the START lines and did nothing else
to the file and tried burning it?

From: jens on
On 05/20/2010 02:10 PM, Mike Jones wrote:

> Ok, here we go...
>
> Insert "Side of the Dark Moon" original CD
>
> #> cdparanoia -d /dev/cdrom 1- data.wav
> #> cdrdao read-toc --device /dev/cdrom data.toc
>
> Switch disks (fresh CD-RW)
>
> #> cdrdao write --device /dev/cdrom data.toc
>
> Wuhoo! A clone CD!
>
> Testing...
>
> Extra gaps in Audacious, shorter gaps with mplayer, gaps in Xine.
>
> D'OH!
>

> Just the same results as with...
>
> #> cdrdao copy --source-device /dev/cd2 --device /dev/cd1
>
> ...which 'man cdrdao' insists makes a clone copy, but doesn't.
>

> I think its time to do this on another machine, just to be sure this
> isn't something barfed up on this one.

Thanks for trying it out.

I happen to own Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon. I just created
a copy of the original CD using the commands I recommended, using
my 5 year old Think Pad R51 laptop. Put the copy in my 20 year
old Sony CD player: no gap between song 1 and 2.

Maybe its your hardware, maybe Audacious / mplayer are more picky
than my CD player, I don't know. If you'd like me to try something
with mplayer and my burned copy, let me know.

Jens
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to jens:

> On 05/20/2010 02:10 PM, Mike Jones wrote:
>>
>> Ok, here we go...
>>
>> Insert "Side of the Dark Moon" original CD
>>
>> #> cdparanoia -d /dev/cdrom 1- data.wav #> cdrdao read-toc --device
>> /dev/cdrom data.toc
>>
>> Switch disks (fresh CD-RW)
>>
>> #> cdrdao write --device /dev/cdrom data.toc
>>
>> Wuhoo! A clone CD!
>>
>> Testing...
>>
>> Extra gaps in Audacious, shorter gaps with mplayer, gaps in Xine.
>>
>> D'OH!
>>

>> Just the same results as with...
>>
>> #> cdrdao copy --source-device /dev/cd2 --device /dev/cd1
>>
>> ...which 'man cdrdao' insists makes a clone copy, but doesn't.
>>

>> I think its time to do this on another machine, just to be sure this
>> isn't something barfed up on this one.
>>

> Thanks for trying it out.
>
> I happen to own Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon. I just created a copy
> of the original CD using the commands I recommended, using my 5 year old
> Think Pad R51 laptop. Put the copy in my 20 year old Sony CD player: no
> gap between song 1 and 2.
>
> Maybe its your hardware, maybe Audacious / mplayer are more picky than
> my CD player, I don't know. If you'd like me to try something with
> mplayer and my burned copy, let me know.
>
> Jens

Well, I tried some of the suggestions so far on another machine, and got
the same problems. Curious thing was, I got shorter gaps using Xine over
Audacious.

Something SNAFU this way glitches, methinks.

Fresh install going on a spare partition. Will test on that next.

Oh, and you'll need a copy of Flink Poyd's "Side of the Dark Moon" ok? ;)

Hmmm. Memory surfaces... Play 'The Specials's "Ghost Town"' in reverse. %|

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.