From: Loki Harfagr on
Wed, 19 May 2010 23:13:49 +0000, Mike Jones did cat :

I'd prefer (and I most of the times use) Joerg's post way,
anyway, just a quick question (untested, no CDW at work ,-),
did you try and remove the pre-gap between tracks 1 and 2, in your toc :

> // Track 2
> TRACK AUDIO
> NO COPY
> NO PRE_EMPHASIS
> TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
> FILE "data.wav" 03:57:58 03:35:00
> START 00:00:02

remove that last line (the START pre-gap)
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to jens:

> On 05/20/2010 12:19 AM, unruh wrote:
>>>
>>> You don't need to manually fiddle with any value in the toc file. The
>>> read-toc command does that for you. I haven't copied music cds in a
>>> while, but I used to do it the following way:
>>
>> I think that he starts with one long wave file into which he wants to
>> put track marks so that he can skip to specific sections. But he is
>> finding that when he puts in those track marks something is also
>> inserting 2 sec silence. Since he wants a continuous sound ( ie the
>> sould shuold just flow through the track mark) he does not like it. He
>
> I know that. I have read the OP.
>
>> is asking how he can insert track marks without also inserting 2 sec of
>> silence. My suspicion is that his .toc file, or his cdrdao commands are
>> telling it to write the cd as a bunch of tracks (TAO mode-- Track at
>> once mode)) rather than in DAO --Disk at once--mode.
>
> Have you read and understood the 1st sentence of the cdrdao man page?
> Please stop posting on this matter until you have. And while you're at
> it, please also read the description of the read-toc command.
>
> The commands below will do a DAO burn. I have burned dozens of music cds
> like this. There won't be two seconds of silence between tracks if the
> original cd had continuous music between them. He will be able to skip
> between tracks. He does not need to fiddle with his toc-file.
>
> What else do I have to tell you before you try to burn a cd with the
> following commands? Do you need some help interpreting the strings that
> start with a '$' sign or what?
>
>>> cdparanoia -d $READ_DEVICE 1- data.wav cdrdao read-toc --device
>>> $READ_DEVICE $TOCFILE cdrdao read-cddb $TOCFILE
>>> cdrdao write --device $WRITE_DEVICE $TOCFILE
>>>
>>> I don't know if cdparanoia still exists, you can probably also use
>>> cdda2wav or cdrdao for reading data.wav instead.
>
> I just checked. Slackware (which the OP seems to be using) still
> contains cdparanoia.

Ok, here we go...

Insert "Side of the Dark Moon" original CD

#> cdparanoia -d /dev/cdrom 1- data.wav
#> cdrdao read-toc --device /dev/cdrom data.toc

Switch disks (fresh CD-RW)

#> cdrdao write --device /dev/cdrom data.toc

Wuhoo! A clone CD!

Testing...

Extra gaps in Audacious, shorter gaps with mplayer, gaps in Xine.

D'OH!

Just the same results as with...

#> cdrdao copy --source-device /dev/cd2 --device /dev/cd1

....which 'man cdrdao' insists makes a clone copy, but doesn't.

I think its time to do this on another machine, just to be sure this
isn't something barfed up on this one.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Loki Harfagr:

> Wed, 19 May 2010 23:13:49 +0000, Mike Jones did cat :

> I'd prefer (and I most of the times use) Joerg's post way, anyway, just
> a quick question (untested, no CDW at work ,-), did you try and remove
> the pre-gap between tracks 1 and 2, in your toc :
>
>> // Track 2
>> TRACK AUDIO
>> NO COPY
>> NO PRE_EMPHASIS
>> TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
>> FILE "data.wav" 03:57:58 03:35:00
>> START 00:00:02
>
> remove that last line (the START pre-gap)

Yup. Hacked things about quite a bit, but all I ended up with was a
forced-gap recording, or command syntax errors.

As I've mentioned, its like I've got the wrong man page.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Joerg Schilling:

> In article <pan.2010.05.17.22.56.26(a)dasteem.invalid>, Mike Jones
> <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>
>> cdrdao write --device /dev/cd2 --datafile cd.bin cd.toc
>>
>>...records a copy, with 2 second gaps between all tracks. Bah!
>>

>>I've tried a number of "blindly whacking away at things to see what
>>happens" and "If this works I'm a genius" experiments, but the magic "Do
>>a matching copy without forcing 2 second gaps" end result still eludes
>>me.
>
> cdrdao does not seem to get attention anymore by it's developers, it did
> not get new features since May 2005, so it looks orphaned.
>
> Just follow the EXAMPLES sections in the cdrtools man pages.....
>
> cdda2wav -vall cddb=0 -B
> cdrecord -v -sao -useinfo *.wav
>
> This is known to work since 12 years now ;-)

=[FAIL]

I'll work on trying to figure out what that is supposed to do, and see if
I can adapt it.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Joerg Schilling:

> In article <8rvdc7-iui.ln1(a)epia.localnet.jens>, jens
> <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>cdparanoia -d $READ_DEVICE 1- data.wav cdrdao read-toc --device
>>$READ_DEVICE $TOCFILE cdrdao read-cddb $TOCFILE
>>cdrdao write --device $WRITE_DEVICE $TOCFILE
>>
>>I don't know if cdparanoia still exists, you can probably also use
>>cdda2wav or cdrdao for reading data.wav instead.
>
> As cdparanoia does not extract meta data from the CD, it is not possible
> to create a 1:1 copy without gaps by using cdparanoia.
>
> cdda2wav does the job correctly, see man pages and previous posts.

Ok.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.