From: jellybean stonerfish on
On Fri, 21 May 2010 18:57:00 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

> A: I'm looking at why I can't get a clone copy. It matters not if it
> works in a stand alone player (which I don't have) or not.

The audio cd's format was not designed for making clones. There are bits
for checking if errors occurred during reads, but small errors in reading
will get covered up, as it is just sound data. The idea was to put as
much sound on the disc as possible, not perfect reads. To attempt to
clone something using this format, is flawed in the beginning.

cdrdao should be able to make a good copy, have you tried it with 'copy'
and the slowest speed setting?

From: jr4412 on
hi Mike,

I have a similar setup (ie. slackware 12.0 with custom kernel, a DVD
and a CD (writer) drive), Joerg Schilling's s/ware works for me.

I followed the procedure outlined in the cdrecord man page (from line
991 in this, old version) where it says:

"To copy an audio CD from a pipe (without intermediate files).."

as root cd into an empty directory, after the initial cdda2wav command
you'll find 9 .inf files have been created and you're set to do the
actual copy (ie the cdda2wav | cdrecord sequence).

as I said, worked for me, listened to the copy before writing this
reply.

good luck.
From: unruh on
On 2010-05-21, Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
> Responding to unruh:
>
>> On 2010-05-21, Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>>> Responding to unruh:

>>> Dude, we already have device access. What are you looking for?
>>>
>>> cdparanopia, cdda2wav, and cdrdao all have a "device" statement.
>>>
>>> I'm not seeing one in the suggestions above, and the commends bombed as
>>> expected because of this.
>>
>> Dude, I just told you wnat to do (maybe you got confused because your
>> mailer chopped up the line)
>

> IT DIDN'T WORK. Ok?
>
> cdda2wav -vall cddb=0 -B cdrecord -v -sao -useinfo *.wav

?? That was two lines, not one. And you have not put the device option
into that command. I am sorry. I did assume that you had a rudimentary
knowledge of running command line commands.
So here is a detailed list of things to do.

cdrecord --scanbus
Write down the three numbers that correspond to your cd writer. I will
assume they are 0,0,0
Place the source CD into the cddrive
Assume you are in a directory where you want to put the output files
cdda2wave dev=0,0,0 -vall cddb=0 -B
When that finishes, put in a blank cd into the cdwriter
cdrecord -v -sao -useinfo *.wav device=0,0,0

Also he said to look at the "EXAMPLES" section of the man page.
man cdrecord

>=[FAIL] (errors about device)
>
> cdda2wav -D /dev/dvd -vall cddb=0 -B cdrecord -v -sao -useinfo *.wav
>
>=[FAIL] (hangs,doing nothing)
>
> cdda2wav -vall cddb=0 -B cdrecord device=5,0,0 -v -sao -useinfo *.wav
>
>=[FAIL] (errors about device)

Exactly where did you come to assume that, when
Schilling wrote the commands on two separate lines, you should join them
together into one single line?

>> You find out what your device number is using cdrecord --scanbus
>> Once you know what the trio of numbers is, you run cdrecord with the
>> cdrecord device=0,0,0 <rest of the options> where those three numbers
>> are what you got from the scanbus command. You really really really have
>> a hard time listening to others.
>>

> Why do I need to use scanbus output when "-device /dev/dvd" already
> works? you've made no mention as to why I should ignore whats already set
> up. Do you suspect a problem with the /dev/dvd directive?

Do you want to get a copy or do you want to learn about all the
intricacies of cdrecord? Read the man page first, then ask.
cdrecord has many many ways of doing things, just like linux.

> If all you're going to do is issue unexplained commands like an old
> headmaster, and crack your whip if you don't "see progress", we're not
> going to get very far with this.

And you thought you were paying me to teach you? I am trying to help.
You seem not to want help, but then in your rudeness and obduracy you
keep putting in hints that you actually do want help.
How about trying what I suggest and seeing if it works. Then once you
have something that works, you can ask about other ways of doing it.

From: andrew on
On 2010-05-21, Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:

> IT DIDN'T WORK. Ok?
>
> cdda2wav -vall cddb=0 -B cdrecord -v -sao -useinfo *.wav
>
>=[FAIL] (errors about device)
>
> cdda2wav -D /dev/dvd -vall cddb=0 -B cdrecord -v -sao -useinfo *.wav
>
>=[FAIL] (hangs,doing nothing)
>
> cdda2wav -vall cddb=0 -B cdrecord device=5,0,0 -v -sao -useinfo *.wav
>
>=[FAIL] (errors about device)

It might help to post the actual error message? I have just copied the
Dark Side of the Moon successfully using the syntax suggested by J�rg
and to tell the truth I am a little inspired to part company with cdrdao
which I have used for years now...

Andrew
--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
From: jens on
On 05/21/2010 08:51 PM, Mike Jones wrote:

>> On 2010-05-21, Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>>> Responding to jens:

>>> As I've mentioned elsewhere, the original CD's play fine.
>>>
>>> Something is not doing a clone, its doing a reset.

Reset?

> And surely, if the original plays ok, and the copy doesn't, SOMETHING HAS
> CHANGED! Duh?

Yes, for example the media has changed. I'm not an expert, but
I'm pretty sure that your CD-drive can detect what kind of medium
it is reading from, i.e. if it's an original CD or a copy residing
on a CD-R or CD-RW. Some information might be stored on the CD-R
by the manufaturer, before you even start to copy any data. Your
CD-drive can pass this data or information about the medium to
applications like mplayer or Xine and it is up to those
applications to change their behaviour in some or another way. I'd
not be surprised, if an exact copy isn't possible with a standard
CD-burner and CD-R or CD-RW media.

> So, I have two choices ATM. Glue files together to prevent gaps, or
> continue trying to figure out why some people seem to be creating
> functioning duplicates, and I don't.

Who can create 'functioning' duplicates, by your definition of
'functioning'? Haven't seen anyone here posting something like
that.

Jens
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: A spanked spammer...
Next: nvidia geforce 9500 dualview