From: jens on
On 05/21/2010 01:29 AM, Mike Jones wrote:
> Responding to jens:
>
>> On 05/20/2010 02:10 PM, Mike Jones wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok, here we go...
>>>
>>> Insert "Side of the Dark Moon" original CD
>>>
>>> #> cdparanoia -d /dev/cdrom 1- data.wav #> cdrdao read-toc --device
>>> /dev/cdrom data.toc
>>>
>>> Switch disks (fresh CD-RW)
>>>
>>> #> cdrdao write --device /dev/cdrom data.toc
>>>
>>> Wuhoo! A clone CD!
>>>
>>> Testing...
>>>
>>> Extra gaps in Audacious, shorter gaps with mplayer, gaps in Xine.
>>>
>> Thanks for trying it out.
>>
>> I happen to own Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon. I just created a copy
>> of the original CD using the commands I recommended, using my 5 year old
>> Think Pad R51 laptop. Put the copy in my 20 year old Sony CD player: no
>> gap between song 1 and 2.
>>
>> Maybe its your hardware, maybe Audacious / mplayer are more picky than
>> my CD player, I don't know. If you'd like me to try something with
>> mplayer and my burned copy, let me know.
>>
>> Jens
>

> Well, I tried some of the suggestions so far on another machine, and got
> the same problems. Curious thing was, I got shorter gaps using Xine over
> Audacious.

What happens when you use cdda-player to play your copy? Maybe it's a
bug in Xine Audacious that's biting you; cdda-player plays my copy
just fine.

Jens
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to jens:

> On 05/21/2010 01:29 AM, Mike Jones wrote:
>> Responding to jens:

>>> Thanks for trying it out.
>>>
>>> I happen to own Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon. I just created a
>>> copy of the original CD using the commands I recommended, using my 5
>>> year old Think Pad R51 laptop. Put the copy in my 20 year old Sony CD
>>> player: no gap between song 1 and 2.
>>>
>>> Maybe its your hardware, maybe Audacious / mplayer are more picky than
>>> my CD player, I don't know. If you'd like me to try something with
>>> mplayer and my burned copy, let me know.
>>>
>>> Jens
>>

>> Well, I tried some of the suggestions so far on another machine, and
>> got the same problems. Curious thing was, I got shorter gaps using Xine
>> over Audacious.
>>

> What happens when you use cdda-player to play your copy? Maybe it's a
> bug in Xine Audacious that's biting you; cdda-player plays my copy just
> fine.
>
> Jens

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the original CD's play fine.

Something is not doing a clone, its doing a reset.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: unruh on
On 2010-05-21, Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
> Responding to unruh:
>
>> On 2010-05-20, Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>>> Responding to unruh:

>>> I failed the above examples. Where does the -device stuff go?
>>
>> You know again you are giving us no information to help you. Which
>> examples failed? What were the results?
>

> The examples, as I said, were the ones mentioned above, and they failed
> because no device is specified. Thats why I asked about the -device
> stuff, as in, how did you configure what device to use?

There were three examples. (Listed at the top) Which failed?
On cdrecord, use
cdrecord --scanbus
to find out where your cdwriter is and then do something like
cdrecord device=0,0,0 ....
where those three numbers you get from the scanbus command.

>> Note also that you should put the cd into a cdplayer ( not into audacity
>> or xine or whatever-- they may put in a gap even though none exists on
>> teh disk-- that is what it sounds like if you say the gap is different
>> on the various players).
>>

> The original CDs play fine. Something is not working like it says on the
> tin here.

Have you or have you not put the cds into a cd player(not a computer cd
player but a regular cd player) and listened to them to see if the 2 sec
gap is there? If not, why not?

From: unruh on
On 2010-05-21, Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
> Responding to jens:
>
>> On 05/21/2010 01:29 AM, Mike Jones wrote:
>>> Responding to jens:

>>> Well, I tried some of the suggestions so far on another machine, and
>>> got the same problems. Curious thing was, I got shorter gaps using Xine
>>> over Audacious.
>>>

>> What happens when you use cdda-player to play your copy? Maybe it's a
>> bug in Xine Audacious that's biting you; cdda-player plays my copy just
>> fine.
>>
>> Jens
>

> As I've mentioned elsewhere, the original CD's play fine.
>
> Something is not doing a clone, its doing a reset.

That's it, I'm out of here. People make suggestions and you refuse to
follow them thinking that you know the answer. If you do why are you
asking for help? Why do we care if the original plays fine. The question
is about your copy. We are trying to find out if it is the playing
software or the copying software that is the problem. DO THE EXPERIMENT
and quit thinking you know how it is going to turn out, or stop asking
for help.

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to unruh:

> On 2010-05-21, Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:
>> Responding to jens:

>>> What happens when you use cdda-player to play your copy? Maybe it's a
>>> bug in Xine Audacious that's biting you; cdda-player plays my copy
>>> just fine.
>>>
>>> Jens
>>

>> As I've mentioned elsewhere, the original CD's play fine.
>>
>> Something is not doing a clone, its doing a reset.
>
> That's it, I'm out of here. People make suggestions and you refuse to
> follow them thinking that you know the answer. If you do why are you
> asking for help? Why do we care if the original plays fine. The question
> is about your copy. We are trying to find out if it is the playing
> software or the copying software that is the problem. DO THE EXPERIMENT
> and quit thinking you know how it is going to turn out, or stop asking
> for help.

Er, dude? Whasssup wit you?

I've tried everything suggested so far, and got the same problem each
time, except for the suggestions that plain bombed out as they weren't
complete commands, which I asked about, and got no response to.

And surely, if the original plays ok, and the copy doesn't, SOMETHING HAS
CHANGED! Duh?

So, I have two choices ATM. Glue files together to prevent gaps, or
continue trying to figure out why some people seem to be creating
functioning duplicates, and I don't.

Leave out the angry stuff and you might see that happening, ok?

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.